Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
What is the monthly charge to moor a wife in the PNW ? OH wait, I misunderstood, never mind.
lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014

Oldboyracer is on a distinguished road

I have a slightly different take on it all , you don't have to be rich but you really have to want a boat . I have sailed since I was 18 racing on 16ft skiffs and then on yachts , till the kids came along and responsibilities took over so sailing took a back seat . Went out occasionally on whatever came along that would float , but still wanted my own wife always said no . 20 years later and divorced twice , paying child support I figured now or never . I put down a small deposit on a unit in an area none of my friends really even want to visit but it was cheap , have the same car for 15 years , and bought a 30 ft yacht that needed some work . It took 2 years of hard work but not a lot of money to get her to sailing shape again , my friends are having trips over seas and all round the country ( I live in australia ) they have new cars and very nice houses . I have a yacht and it's mine and the bank has a large share of my unit . In 2 weeks I bring her down the coast and move aboard renting my unit out . I don't know how it will work out I might hate it but who knows . I do know that I am doing what I want and am happy with my lot in life . My friends still don't understand but I really don't expect them to , (you either love boats or don't ) but they help me when they can . My parents are saying get going and go now your 50 ( they left home to go round oz in a caravan 12 years later they got back ) do it while your physically fit . So as far as I'm concerned I'm rich cause I'm chasing my dreams . I read once and I can't remember where or who said it some thing along the lines of " all men dream when asleep but the ones who dream when they are awake are dangerous because they might do something about it "
Group9 and Bruce_L like this.
Old 02-01-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

T. E. Lawrence

Good luck, fair winds & following seas!
Old 02-01-2014

aelkin is on a distinguished road

Manatee - nice job!
Classy.
Old 02-02-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Thank you. It sounded like it would make a good quote for my collection, so I hunted it up.

Thanks go to Oldboyracer for pointing it out.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 02-03-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I forget where I saw it but when factoring in global income levels, any American making more than 30k is a member of the 1 percent club. Strange eh? I also saw a quote that said, considered globally, If you make more than 50k you are much closer to Bill Gates' salary than you are to the average wage of those in other countries... Not sure that is true but it was on the Internet :-) and I get the point...
Yeah, someone gets it. I grew up in a poor, single parent home. We had a home, car, food, clothes and a few extras, but never enough to buy anything more than an inflatable, which I paddled around with all the time. I then had a kid while still young myself. We always kept a "boat jar" where the change went in. It never got above $30 because I'd eventually let my son roll the coins and buy something he liked. I did buy a used wind surfer for $50 once and used it with my son sitting on the front. Thought I might kill him if we didn't find another hobby. Never had enough money to buy a boat until my kid was on his own and I was making decent money in my career. So I think the perspectives here are a bit out of whack. A dinghy can be bought and sailed cheaply, and that presumes the person is close to the water. This is all very hard to come by when you're living hand to mouth, which is how the majority of people live. Median income is about $50,000 in the US, women still make 3/4 of what men do, and 46 million people are living in poverty, which equates to about $12K/year for an individual or $24K for a family for four. IMHO, sailing is still a "rich" sport. It's all in how you define it...
rikhall likes this.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38

Last edited by gamayun; 02-03-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Median income is about $50,000 in the US
and that is the household median income, The individual median income is half that......

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-04-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Ok, but some form of sailing can be done relatively cheaply. For us, its just the dockage that costs anything, and we have a slip behind a waterfront bar that has no service and cheap docks. I would like to get a bigger boat and cruise.. but for right now my car insurance is far more than my annual sailing budget, a single monthly tuition payment for one kid was more than my annual sailing budget last year. There is a middle ground between a windsurfer and a 38' boat.
Group9 likes this.
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I'll point out my former step-daughter as an example of why the poor are often poor.

She would constantly complain about never having any money while smoking two packs of cigarettes a day (about $10 a day or $300 a month).

I constantly tried to get her to understand the math of saving $10 a day, and what it could mean for her future life, but it completely fell on deaf ears.

She will never understand why she is poor and will remain convinced until the day she dies, that it is someone else's fault.

And, to the point of the thread. There are always decent sailboats for sale down here for under $3650 ($10 a day x 365) and none of them would cost more than $300 a month in maintenance once you bought them.

I bought my first sailboat, a Hobie 16, for $1600, used, with a trailer and a good set of sails. I bought my second one for $250, in 2005 (it had two holes in one pontoon that I fixed myself for $50). Again, a good set of sails and a trailer came with it. I was driving along and saw it by the side of the road with a 'for sale' sign on it. I couldn't believe it. They thought it was ruined. I bought it thinking it didn't even have sails, when the woman told me I would have to come get the sails out of her attic myself! They looked brand new.

I refuse to believe that there are people who really want to sail who can't come up with that kind of money.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-04-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Ok, but some form of sailing can be done relatively cheaply.
cheaply should be replaced with "inexpensive" and maybe it would be more truthful