Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Boating is expensive. Sailing is cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Boating is expensive. Sailing is cheap.
I have a 22' center console with a 200 HP that burns more in one trip than I use in my 42' sailboat in a year.

And, people think the 42 footer is the expensive one to own.

The biggest problem with it is worrying about the diesel in it going bad from age.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I have a 22' center console with a 200 HP that burns more in one trip than I use in my 42' sailboat in a year.

And, people think the 42 footer is the expensive one to own.

The biggest problem with it is worrying about the diesel in it going bad from age.
I have run diesel that was 30 years old in one of my trucks a few years ago and the only thing I noticed was a little more smoke from the additives they used to use . Diesel doesn't degrade like gasoline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have run diesel that was 30 years old in one of my trucks a few years ago and the only thing I noticed was a little more smoke from the additives they used to use . Diesel doesn't degrade like gasoline.
Yeah, but it will grow some awful looking stuff in it.

And, I read an article where someone found a 1970 GTO that had been in storage for 20 years, and he hooked a battery up to it and cranked it on 20 year old gas, but I'm not going to try it.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-04-2014

PhilCarlson is on a distinguished road

I moved to FL from MN last summer and two weeks ago purchased my first sailboat. I'm certianly not rich but am disciplined and not without means. I'd say getting into sailing on a "regular person" budget requires patience and homework more than anything.

I watched craigslist for months before I looked at the first boat. I'd decided my startup budget and when one looked good in that range I checked it out, decided to buy but moved too slow. It sold fast. Two lessons there: First I was on the right track, the market decided it was a good boat because it sold before I could return a call. Second, when you find it, buy it. Don't mess around.

I surfed CL for a few more weeks looking at a few more boats. Some junk, some I just didn't love. Beginners, you HAVE to look at boats, even if you have no plan to buy. Don't waste the seller's time but you will learn more by stepping aboard, feeling the boat and hearing the owner's story than you ever could reading up on it.

I settled on a hidden gem. The advert was poorly written with only one picture, and it was a three hour drive away. Spoke with the owner at length, went to look and closed the deal. One weekend to haul it to the marina and get the electrical system in order, another weekend to put her in the water and scrub the mildew off the deck, clean the cabin and various repairs. Final weekend step the mast, install the electronics fix a few more things then she is ready to sail.

I'll sail out on a 26' Northstar 600 with a fairly new deisel inboard and brand new electronic gadgets for less than whay I sold my John Deere lawn tractor and Arctic Cat 4 wheeler for back in the great white north.

Luck is at the intersection of opportunity and preparedness.
Group9 likes this.
Old 02-04-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

They are waiting for us to help. They are waiting for us to clean up the Rivers and coastal regains all over the eastern seaboard.
I was out fishing over 4 and half years ago when I noticed all these abandoned boats on the waterways of Beaufort South Carolina.
I drove through row after row of boats, primarily sailboats, stored in a disgraceful manner in a watery grave. In the elements they only last a few years. There was every make, model and flavor that you could ever think of. They were sloops and yaws, beautiful older wooden Down Easters, Most were covered to varying degrees in bird poop, and mildew, but under that, you could still get a feel for once glamorous condition. Some were far gone, even by my low standards; they represent death, the end, the point of no return. Many, in fact most of these boats were still salvageable. All of them are old, and they are there for almost free.

Most of these boats have long stories to tell. They have years of stories of exciting races, scary weather, harrowing near collisions. They once had romantic weekends at anchor where lovers cooked romantic, simple dinners on weak, alcohol stoves, and skinny dipping in the moonlight. Family cruises where kids would dive off of the stern and swim in the cove, with lunches of PB&J sandwiches, and sterno dinners

You can make it happen. I know. I did it. I located one of the owners of an abandoned C&C 30MK1 yacht. I worked out a deal with the owner and that old abandoned eye sore lying at anchor in the river is now mine. She is a strikingly beautiful 1981 vantage yacht, completely restored and sailing the weekends away. It cost me $2,500 bucks to call her mine and over the next 3 years and a lot of work, Oh and more money. I think she well worth the work
and money.

I make well under $100, grand I dont want stuff, never have. Its all about choices. Do ya want freedom or do you want stuff. Get rid of the latter and go sailing.
Cheers LT

Last edited by ltgoshen; 02-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

The Twin Cities Sailing Club is only $170 / year for returning members, and that gives you access to several Catalina Capri 16, several MC scows, a C scow, and a bunch of fun people to hang out with. Money well spent.
Old 02-04-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I might not be as rich as everyone on sailnet but I am very rich. In 2013 I grossed $11,956.25. I own and sail my dream boat, have no debt and am able to donate regularly to my favorite charities and still save money every year. With my abundance of free time I am able to keep my boat meticulously maintained and sail as often as I choose. At 45 my health is incredible because I have very little stress and lots of free time to maintain my healthy lifestlye. Hard times fall here and there but then again how could you enjoy a perfect broad reach if you never had to sail to weather.

Old 02-04-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

We do farily well but as I wrote with 2 kids in college its tough.

The story of our sailboat goes like this -having had boats all my life, but through several twist of fate I found myself boatless in 2010 for the first time in 20 years and an ache started in my gut, but had no funds for boats as we were paying college tuition for the kids. I had a dream but no dollars.

Then a couple years ago a buddy of mine headed off overseas for active duty in Afghanistan and he gave me his beautiful old cedar canoe as a present. Didn't want it anymore he said. I kept telling him I would sell it for him and mail him the money and he finally said " Just shut up and take your damn gift" and that was that. Well I never really liked that canoe and it had to be stored inside so the varnish would stay good. What a pain. And I still wanted a boat. Fate took a hand.

I brought the cedar canoe down to the river with my son one day for a paddle. The owner of the waterfront resteraunt was there and he saw the canoe and took a liking to it. He wanted it for an interior decoration and offered to buy it. I said it was a gift and I didn't feel right selling it. He offered to trade me for his old sailboat. I thought this must be my lucky break so I called my wife and then said okay and he took the canoe and he immediately hung it the in the rafters as a chandelier where it remains today. You can just see my canoe on the ceiling -

The following week I went to find his sad looking Catalina completely trashed, mildewed and disassembled in a storage yard in new jersey on a trailer with flat tires. Bulkheads unbolted, cushions everywhere, rigging all over. Boat was almost black and covered with algae on the outside but dry inside. I almost left her there as a wreck. Then I rubbed a little bit of the black and underneath was a beautiful white hull. Besides he had said the boat was all complete with no rot and I had the title, so I put air in the tires and set off the three hours for home. On the way the tires blew apart in the dark and and I had to leave her the first night in a farmers hayfield. But I finallly got her up to Poughkeepsie and with a pressure washer and some elbow grease I began to realize that here was the exact boat we had been wanting. Got her rigged up in my yard to check everything and then again at the boat yard. My wife cleaned the interior and sails and we reassembled everthing from pictures on the internet. Everything was good, just need a little TLC!! The engine stalled only about 100 times and each time I cleaned the carburetor and eventually she started running good. Boat sailed like a dream, the complete interior all the rigging, incredibly everything was there and worked.

The owner of the bar was so happy to see the boat back and looking great that he offered me the slip next to the tiki bar at a discount. Here she is looking pretty in the restaurant website...I'm not totally crazy about the place, the owner or the occasional drunks but no one ever bothers us and the price is right and its less than a mile from my house. So really the whole thing is sort of a miracle.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-05-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

You don't have to be rich or well off at all to go sailing... it's a misnomer to think only rich people have yachts or the right to sail...

With determination anyone that can repair, upgrade, restore a sailboat or powerboat for that matter has the right to be on the water... the other needs such as slip, moorage, latest equipment, etc. aren't neccesary for enjoying the waters...

I belong to a guitar forum that believes in order to play successful guitar you must have the best guitar available (nothing else will do) but I challenge them all the time as the guitar brand or cost is not what matters but the ability to play far exceeds anything the value of the guitar... a good guitarist can play a $50 guitar from Goodwill as good as a guitar worth $5000... I myself have so so guitars and great guitars and I play them all the same regardless of the price of the guitar... same goes with sailing... whether it's a 16 foot sailing skiff or a 50 foot mega sailboat... the enjoyment is the same albeit the larger the boat the more comfort... but the sailing enjoyment is no different... I'm as happy on my 25 foot as I would be on a 50 foot boat.. the difference is the cost to keep and maintain the level of comfort.
Sal Paradise likes this.