Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

People always say a boat is a hole in the water in which one throws their money, but I've never understood the statement.
I've not lived in a house in my adult life, but I can't imagine that it costs less to maintain a house, than a boat. As my boats have always been my homes (and sometimes my workplaces), I just don't see it as all that expensive to have a boat.
In many cases, a slip convenient to a city (like Charleston, SC or Providence, RI) is considerably less than a comparable apartment. Often slip fees include, water, garbage, cable, internet and parking. Beat that you shore dwellers!
Andrew65 and Brent Swain like this.

Last edited by capta; 07-29-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There are a lot sailors I've met without a trust fund. One thing for sure is that we "Good Old Boaters" have to give up other things to be able to go sailing. It's a choice. We also need to fix our own stuff and budget boat upkeep expenditures. The to-do list is actually a priority list based on available funds. It's actually a worthwhile exercise in staying within a budget. Congress could take some lessons from sailors:-)
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-29-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-29-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Houses cost money, boats cost money, horses cost money...

According the the IRS.. I'm in the top 5% (thanks to my wife's income and mine combined). I don't feel like the top 5%. I can tell you the IRS has hammered my income so hard I've stopped doing freelance IT work because they took 40+% of my income when I did.

My boating side is cheap though... boat was $5k. I've dropped at least as much in sails, and equipment... but that's been over 3 years. Dockage has been about $1200/year.

Comparatively my sailing is cheap (just feeding 3 horses is more expensive in a year, and that's keeping them at home).
Brent Swain likes this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 07-30-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My annual real estate taxes in Maryland are far more than my slip rent and winter storage combined and that includes the cost of dockside electricity.

Cheers,

Gary
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 07-30-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I spent more on my boat last year (payments, operation,maintenance, repair, storage) than my house last year (payments, fees, all utilities).

And I have a smaller 2 bedroom house and a 41' 2001 production model boat.
Old 07-30-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I spent more on my boat last year (payments, operation,maintenance, repair, storage) than my house last year (payments, fees, all utilities).

And I have a smaller 2 bedroom house and a 41' 2001 production model boat.
I've spent more on my boat than my house, if you don't count property tax. I have a 3 bedroom house, and only a 22' boat, and the boat still costs more!

(To be fair, everything in the house is newish and doesn't need any work, whereas everything on the boat is oldish and needs lots of work.)
Old 07-31-2014

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

The only thing better than owning a boat is having a good friend with a boat. Many boat owners who sail a lot need crew and we count on friends for that. With that said, if you are a decent person with a fun personality and an eagerness to sail, you can sail regularly for the price of an 18 pack of Tecate (cans)! You certainly do not have to be rich to bring beer once or twice a week. Unless your skipper is a snooty beer snob and requests some rare craft beer.
Old 07-31-2014
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Well, it's kind of a silly comment to make, isn't it? It's like approaching someone's family and saying, 'I would totally have kids of my own, but I can't afford to send them to college. You must be rich.' Kids cost more than a sailboat, after all.
Old 07-31-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
Unless your skipper is a snooty beer snob and requests some rare craft beer.
Fortunately they're putting some really good beers in cans these days

Old 07-31-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

I have sailed since '95 when I tipped the club's Albacore into the Ottawa River in May as part of my dinghy lessons. By "club" I mean a co-op where we all raked the lawns in the spring, cleaned and launched the boats and took turns manning the rescue boat.

I progressed to Basic keel boat the following summer, again on the Ottawa, coastal navigation in the fall and Intermediate cruising in the BVI's in March. If I didn't have points I could not have afforded to get to the BVI's.

Moving to Toronto in 2001 I joined a sailing club right on the downtown waterfront. It was $120 a month and I could walk across the street every day and take one of their J24's or Sonars out for 3 hours. That was cheap fun. I also crewed on race night and that is where I learned about sailing.

But still no boat of my own.

Dec 2006 chartered an old, really old, Ben 38 from North South in BVI's. Boat was $1800 US. Flew on points

2008 and 2009 sailed with a Cdn friend we met in the BVI's in 2006. He had a 37' Cat. Paid $0 for boat but bought his rum fuel and food. Man he drank a lot.

Aug 2012: wife gets joke email with 100 people in cc box. She sees email address of long lost friend she had not spoken to for years.
She reaches out..."where are you?" At 52 he decided to upgrade from Chiro to MD and he was studying at U of Anguilla off SXM.

"What did you do with your old sailboat that you took my 6 year old daughter and me on 12 years ago?"

"Oh that *&%%$$? I am trying to get rid of it"

(Ask him how much says me poking her)

"Pay the guy what I owe him for storage the last 3 years and it is yours"

For $800 I now own 81 Edel 665 with 2000 Honda 8 HP and cradle.

I replaced all halyards and sheets, gutted the interior, added some wood, painted the hull and launched May 24 2013....maybe $600 worth of material but a lot of work.

This is my second summer and I still need to:
-replace motor lifting bracket
-install used VHF i have in a box
-get a battery for nav lights and VHF
-paint deck / cockpit
-install window in jib

Money is tight so those will happen when they happen. She is clean, sails fast under one reef and I will drive the 9km even just to sit in the cockpit and enjoy the moment.

I pay $1580 mooring / 700 winter storage so that is the biggest expense every year.

On the side of the pop-top there is a spot reserved for her name, Seque.
(that expense will wait too)

Other than my spouse, she is the deal of my lifetime.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on the hard in downtown Toronto.
Sailing 2014 has now closed shop.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.