Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I moved out of my 2 room after they raised the rent and onto my boat taking an 80% reduction in expenses. No more dirtdwelling for me. Even if I have to go on unemployment, I'm still making money! When my friends bitch and moan about life's costs, I just smile.
Old 07-31-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Don't you Yanks get to play the "mortgage interest deductibility' scam on boats as well as your 2nd and 3rd homes / cottage / ski chalets?

1981 Edel 665
Currently on top of the water and the world @ Lakefront Promenade Marina, Mississauga, ON
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2014
Wingnut

Dirtyfloats is on a distinguished road

There is nothing more exhausting than dealing with wealthy people who, for some reason or another, Think that they are not wealthy.
It's amazing what never gets done, not because of lack of funds, but because, people have so much, that they gety confused and think that they dont have much.
It's also amazing what cann get done when someone excepts that they have no money, and simply find another way of accomplishing their goals.

The biggest divide in north american society, is most certainly class.
It is also one of the most confused.
Brent Swain and 519sail like this.
Old 08-03-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfloats View Post
There is nothing more exhausting than dealing with wealthy people who, for some reason or another, Think that they are not wealthy.
It's amazing what never gets done, not because of lack of funds, but because, people have so much, that they gety confused and think that they dont have much.
It's also amazing what cann get done when someone excepts that they have no money, and simply find another way of accomplishing their goals.

The biggest divide in north american society, is most certainly class.
It is also one of the most confused.
I've pretty much had the opposite experience with rich folks and boats. Any problem can be dealt with, in their mind, by just throwing money at it. When I needed to replace one plastic filter bowl for a Racor 1000FH, the owner sent me three (3) complete units! Duty was astronomical in the T&C and we had nowhere to stow those huge things.
One owner insisted that nothing should go wrong when he was aboard, even if I had to replace the engine every time, before he came aboard. A small fray in the genoa; order a new one! Another owner saw a vessel with black dock lines and "suggested" that they would look nice on his boat, a week or so after having purchased new ones.
It was much better before the tax law reforms of the late 80's, but still, quite often, when I needed some part, I received a complete new, replacement unit, from corporate, instead, at many times the cost. I probably could have made a much better living splitting the money I could have saved some of my owners, by handling the vessel expenditures, than I made as captain of their yachts.

Last edited by capta; 08-03-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Saying you have to be rich to sail, is like saying you have to be rich to own a car.

You have to be rich to own a brand new Ferrari, but you don't have to be rich to own a fifteen year old Chevrolet Impala.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-04-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

MOST people with boats are rich to a degree. Even most of the $500/mo people.

Just get over it
Old 08-05-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
The common stereotype is that people who sail are rich..
I have co-workers who "boat" they all have expensive and semi-expensive powerboats that are larger than my little SS23... yet they look at me like I must spend a lot of money to go sailing.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I have co-workers who "boat" they all have expensive and semi-expensive powerboats that are larger than my little SS23... yet they look at me like I must spend a lot of money to go sailing.

Compare fuel costs. That might get them thinking otherwise.
mad_machine likes this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 08-05-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
So true. I can burn more fuel in a weekend in my center console, than I burned in diesel bringing my sailboat back from the Bahamas.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-05-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Collecting the perfectly good cast offs from other vessels and leaving them at the boaters exchange has kept me in beer money. Caveat emptor works from both directions.
Group9 likes this.