Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree175Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I spent more on my boat last year (payments, operation,maintenance, repair, storage) than my house last year (payments, fees, all utilities).

And I have a smaller 2 bedroom house and a 41' 2001 production model boat.
I have been cruising and living aboard for over 40 years and have never made a boat payment to a bank. I have built all my own boats. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I don't pay storage,just anchor out for free.
If your boat is costing you that much then you are obviously doing things wrong. Don't assume everyone does things that wrong.
Old 08-05-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've pretty much had the opposite experience with rich folks and boats. Any problem can be dealt with, in their mind, by just throwing money at it. When I needed to replace one plastic filter bowl for a Racor 1000FH, the owner sent me three (3) complete units! Duty was astronomical in the T&C and we had nowhere to stow those huge things.
One owner insisted that nothing should go wrong when he was aboard, even if I had to replace the engine every time, before he came aboard. A small fray in the genoa; order a new one! Another owner saw a vessel with black dock lines and "suggested" that they would look nice on his boat, a week or so after having purchased new ones.
It was much better before the tax law reforms of the late 80's, but still, quite often, when I needed some part, I received a complete new, replacement unit, from corporate, instead, at many times the cost. I probably could have made a much better living splitting the money I could have saved some of my owners, by handling the vessel expenditures, than I made as captain of their yachts.
That is what creates the huge surplus of extremely cheap, almost new used gear, to enable the rest of us to cruise so cheaply. Those who don't clue into this ,and buy everything new ,while complaining about the cost of boating, are just extremely dense, or being childishly snobby.
Old 08-05-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There are some really good deals on used sails but I've found that most hardware items are almost as expensive as new if they're in any kind of decent condition. Some of the prices I see on used garbage are laughable.
Old 08-05-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have been living aboard and cruising 11 months a year on a months wages a year, since my mid 20's. I am anything but rich, as are most of my full time live aboard cruising friends. Living aboard has saved me so much money that I don't have to work more than a month a year. Living ashore is far more like tearing up thousand dollar bills for entertainment, than living aboard and cruising full time. If that is not the case ,then you are doing something wrong.
The rich don't want people to know that the not so rich can cruise, so they ( and ship swindlerys )sabotage such efforts, by convincing some that the expensive way is the only option cruisers have. Not only is it not the only way, but it is also often not the best way.
You can see this by the way they attack and ridicule anyone who offers more affordable and simpler ways of doing things, on this and other sites.
Don't believe them. It will cost you your dream.
It's funny you mention this.

I'll keep this longer story short.

Back in the day when l lived (aged 27) on my barebones of a Coronado25 for 3 years, l was directed by a wonderful friend to an old old salt living on his steel schooner at a nearby marina to pose him the question that was on my mind "When is a boat ever ready to cruise?" He gave me an inquizened eye and then laughed his head off and emphatically said "Never! Just make sure you have a sound hull and rig and enough food to your next port and you'll take care of the rest. Just don't be French. The French steal." Enlightened, l posed the same question to my dock crowd during sundowner purposefully in front of the Dockmaster. I got ALL kinds of crap answers from beautiful boat owners about needing this and that, so l turned to the dm on the spot and gave him my obligatory 1 months notice. That month was an interesting study in dock behavior while l prepared to leave with basically nothing of good gear. D-day came and no one would even look my way as l left. I had little water and enough MRE's to get me from Clearwater to Marathon which just goes to prove once again "Where there is a will, there is a way". I eventually figured things out along the way.

Foolish? Maybe, but l had a Damn fun year being that kind of foolish.
Group9 and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by Andrew65; 08-05-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have been cruising and living aboard for over 40 years and have never made a boat payment to a bank. I have built all my own boats. I do my own maintenance and repairs. I don't pay storage,just anchor out for free.
If your boat is costing you that much then you are obviously doing things wrong. Don't assume everyone does things that wrong.
Yeah we all know you are a society dropout. Funny that you believe that makes you worthy of being all judgemental of others, even though you know nothing really about them.

It is no wonder that any good thing you post gets lost.
Old 08-05-2014

smijer is on a distinguished road

My first post in the Introduce Yourself forum should make it clear that I am not a wealthy sailor. I am looking for options to store boat and trailer near a ramp. When I find that, I've got to spend some money on topside and deck paint. I need bottom paint, too... but that will just have to wait. Anyhow, I see a lot of people succeeding in low-budget boating, and that makes me feel more confident. It's nice to read your stories.
Old 08-06-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
It's funny you mention this.

I'll keep this longer story short.

Back in the day when l lived (aged 27) on my barebones of a Coronado25 for 3 years, l was directed by a wonderful friend to an old old salt living on his steel schooner at a nearby marina to pose him the question that was on my mind "When is a boat ever ready to cruise?" He gave me an inquizened eye and then laughed his head off and emphatically said "Never! Just make sure you have a sound hull and rig and enough food to your next port and you'll take care of the rest. Just don't be French. The French steal." Enlightened, l posed the same question to my dock crowd during sundowner purposefully in front of the Dockmaster. I got ALL kinds of crap answers from beautiful boat owners about needing this and that, so l turned to the dm on the spot and gave him my obligatory 1 months notice. That month was an interesting study in dock behavior while l prepared to leave with basically nothing of good gear. D-day came and no one would even look my way as l left. I had little water and enough MRE's to get me from Clearwater to Marathon which just goes to prove once again "Where there is a will, there is a way". I eventually figured things out along the way.

Foolish? Maybe, but l had a Damn fun year being that kind of foolish.
I have found, that despite the occasional negative consequences, the foolish do seem to have a lot more fun in life.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-06-2014
SeŮor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smijer View Post
.... I am looking for options to store boat and trailer near a ramp....I need bottom paint, too... but that will just have to wait. ...
No need for bottom paint if you are dry sailing.....
Old 08-07-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Brent - good points, but relax man. This is a mellow thread.
Old 08-07-2014

j d is on a distinguished road

No you donít need to be rich, but you canít be poverty stricken either. People find a way to do what they like and it always has a price tag. Any hunters wife can tell you that elk meat is $30 a pound. Motor cycles arenít cheep and the maintenance goes on and on, and yes the wind is free but catching it with sails sure is not. How do I afford it? I like working on my boat. Maybe not as well as sailing it but itís all part of the game and doing it your self saves bucks. I try to stay out of the West Marine store, half my gear has come from a sailors consignment/ used store. I try to keep things in repair rather then replacing. I also donít drive a new truck. Itís 14 years old. Like I said people find a way to do what makes their blood run hot.