Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Don't have to be rich to sail

I consider myself middle class. That means my net household income is less than 100k for a family of 4. I feel I can afford to sail without straining my family's finances. My boat has cost me a whole bunch of labor, around $5000 cash, and somewhere in the $1600 range per year for docking and maintenance. A small price to pay for all the fun that comes with owning a sailboat yet my friends cant understand how I can afford such a hobby. The common stereotype is that people who sail are rich. If you are in the same situation as I am please feel free to share your story with me. It would be nice to have someone other than myself to compare to when explaining to my friends that they too can afford to sail if they really want to.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to ABH3 Boyer For This Useful Post:
seafrontiersman (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I'm not rich either. My highest income I ever made was $153,000 a year and I'm 55 and have a 42 foot boat that's paid for. It takes a while to learn, but it's money management, not money production, that determines what you can do.

I was making $21,000 a year when I bought my first cruising capable boat, a Cape Dory 25D, in 1985 (nothing but Hobie Cats before that). I was driving a 1967 Bel Air, my grandmother gave me, while my friends, who couldn't understand how I bought that boat, were all driving brand new cars. It's priorities, too.

The only thing keeping me from taking off for a couple of years on that boat in 1988 was a wife that said "no". She was afraid it would derail both of our careers to take a sabbatical at that time. We're divorced now.

Read the obituaries and see how many people younger than you are in there every week. Then wonder what they thought they were going to do next year.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 01-31-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

I do not consider myself financially wealthy (by U.S. standards). I have also chosen the frugal route when it comes to financing my sailing dream. But it comes at a serious cost when it comes to PATIENCE. There are so many little projects, and I am trying to keep the maintenance costs under $200 per month. In a perfect world I could just dry dock it and start making calls to the canvas people, mechanics, etc. But it is all worth it on a nice breezy day.
Group9 and jimgo like this.
Old 01-31-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
The common stereotype is that people who sail are rich. If you are in the same situation as I am please feel free to share your story with me. It would be nice to have someone other than myself to compare to when explaining to my friends that they too can afford to sail if they really want to.
I don't believe that a lack of money is keeping people from sailing. As you note, if you want to sail, you should be able to do it cheaply.

I started sailing in 2003 with a 1982 Catalina 22. I paid around $3000 for the boat and it was in good condition (not great, but certainly good enough for day sails). The boat was on a trailer and came with a decent outboard engine. I could not get a mooring that year so we trailer sailed the boat. I paid the town $10 for a ramp permit so I could launch the boat, park the car and trailer, etc. I would have to check my records but I think I sailed the boat 5-10 times that year (got the boat in early August).

The next year I paid $100 for a mooring permit, got a free dingy that I fixed for $50, bought a mooring for $300, and paid a company $100 to drop the mooring and $100 to pull the mooring in the fall. So my total costs for a year were under $1000. We sailed a lot that year (upgraded to a Newport 28 in July, but that's another story)

But sailing is not for everyone. It takes a serious time commitment and the right personality and I think most people are just not into it. If you have a family with kids there are so many competing activities that most people are not going to make the commitment to go sailing. Between work, kids sports, house, lawn, and vehicle maintenance, family obligations, TV/computer/video games, etc. there just isn't that much leisure time available. Then the weather and seasons come into play too. I'm in the north east, and the sailing season is really May - October. And in those months, how many free weekend days will there be when the weather cooperates? How many people are willing to learn a complicated activity with a unique language, that is sort of anachronistic (you mean we can't go directly from here to there if the wind isn't blowing right?) and perhaps dangerous?

Then, when you finally are able to get out on the water, and the weather is nice, and the wind is nice, and the boat works well, MOST people are still going to be like: "So this is it? We're on a boat and going like 5 miles and hour, and we can't get anywhere and why can't you turn the motor on so we can go faster, and like I'm hungry and why didn't you bring anything good to eat and like I'm so bored, and my iphone is like dying, and OMG this is so boring, and I have to meet my friends in 2 hours and when are we turning around and why is this taking sooo long."

Wow, writing all this down, I wonder why ANYONE with a young family sails. I guess that's why so few do!

Personally, I LOVE sailing and I AM a little crazy, so it works for me. But certainly not for everyone.

PS: For SOME people (those who GET it) when you finally are able to get out on the water, and the weather is nice, and the wind is nice, and the boat works well, it will be like "This is amazing! It's so peaceful and quiet, and the boat moves through the water so nicely, and this is all free? And we can go anywhere we want and food on the water tastes so much better and the sun feels good on my skin and we can stay out here as long as we like and how does the boat move so well when I can barely feel the wind and the water is warm and THIS IS JUST GREAT!"

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 02-02-2014 at 01:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
Petrouschka (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

under sail aboard a 32' CC is still an incredible sensation. knowing every thing you require to live is aboard is empowering and exhilarating. then the knowledge that you can command it to anywhere in the world.
better than flying, driving, cycling or anything else, at least to me it is. hope to be able sail the rest of my life.
Group9 likes this.
Old 01-31-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I work in the military so I'm definitely not wealthy but I am smart with my finances. I have a house that's near the base, I have a car that's paid for, a truck I bought a couple years ago so I could tow my boat that I also got shortly after the truck. I wanted to get a boat, paid for, and be able to do what I can with it when I can. Deployments have slowed down and work related trips have too. The first 15 months of having my boat, it was on its trailer in a storage lot while I put some work into it. Got it into the water this past Jun/Jul and been doing some other projects along the way. I sailed it once so far and had a wonderful time. I thought of starting off with a smaller boat since I am still relatively new to sailing but at the same time, I'm very happy with the boat I did get because it could be the only boat I ever have. There's other military people in my neighborhood that have fishing boats or pontoon boats sitting in their drive way.

You don't need a fancy or expensive boat, just something that gets you out on the water and enjoy your time to kick back and relax from the work week and all is good.
nolatom and DRFerron like this.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 01-31-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

I would say that people who say stuff like, you must be rich to have a boat . Those people are not boat people, but even worse they are jealous . Some yrs. ago I bought a Porsche, it was a older 911 Targa . It was restored and looked nice but still I only paid 10k for it . You should of heard the howls from people . They went like, what are you trying to prove with a car like that! And oh you must be rich , and my favorite, are you having a mid life crisis ?! I know that was a car story but thanks for letting me rant about that . On the boating side I still get pretty much the same thoughtless comments . And lastly I would not try to convince or explain to people that they could afford a boat, I mean just the ones that make rude comments like you must be rich . On the other side of the coin , does anyone get this one ? You are cheap because you own a sail boat and air is free .
Solon likes this.

Last edited by Markwesti; 01-31-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I've been fortunate to have sailed pretty steadily without owning a boat in the last few decades, ever since moving south from New England, where I did own one-designs, delivered some boats, and raced in college.

As a member of the "OPBC" since then I've been able to borrow boats once or twice from a friendly owner I'd crewed for, to take a local family cruise when my kid was younger. And done an occasional delivery with a neighbor or friend who'd bought a new boat. Raced some. Been a Race Committee volunteer some. Paid someone's slip rent for a couple of years and got to sail that Ranger 32 (which they didn't sail, so I did) until they sold it. And for the past 14 years or so, have been teaching sailing as a part-time gig at a couple of local facilities here, occasional half-day charter captain. And they've been gracious enough to let me borrow one of the teaching boats on occasion.

So life is good. It has helped to have had a small-tonnage Captain's license. But mostly it's just be dependable and enjoy teaching new (or not so new) sailors, which I do enjoy.

I lack the autonomy and ability to fit out a boat and go wherever whenever, which you who own those great boats have, my hat's off to you for making it work. But this has worked for me so far, and I guess I could always charter a boat somewhere, some day.

Or buy one?? Never say never.... ;-)
Old 01-31-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Yep the comments all can be summed up thus a family on a power boat is going somewhere special a sailing family is already there and its not money that gives you that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

I live in So Cal where just about everything costs a brick of gold and average income is half a brick of silver but people make it. The marina I am in I believe to be the least expensive in my area (no moorings) at $225.00 for a 25 ft. boat (year round) isn't bad for the amount of enjoyment you can have, we have several islands to sail to that are a full days sail and many harbors that are also a days sail away. I like to say that we have a chance to get out of town for the cost of food and fuel (boat and cooking) that's a few dollars for the weekend unless you want a slip or mooring, that's a few more dollars. I have friends that "get out of town" and spend several hundred dollars for a weekend and then thats it for a month or two. Some think I have money to throw away on a boat (I don't) I am frugal with what I spend on it for maintenance and I do all the work myself (except sails and rigging). My point is I have the ability to go out every weekend or just out for a day with little cost 225/8=28.125 that's slip rent divided by 8 weekend days a month, even if we only stay at the marina we are still "out of town".

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.