Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014

nodders is on a distinguished road
Re: 16 Months at adrift at Sea

I haven't delved into the whole story, but the cynic came out in my when I saw a picture of the guy yesterday with a very "full" looking face. I would have expected "lean" looking at the very least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering why he did not have any fishing tackle? He was shark fishing, would he/they not have some way of catching ...sharks? And no sharks were caught before the storm kicked in?
Old 02-04-2014

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

Full face can indicate kidney failure. His lack of sunburn is very odd. The spirit of Rose Noel crew were in pretty good shape, enough so, many disputed their accounting.
I cannot image he was out as long as he thinks he was, but people can beat incredible odds, in spite of all who say impossible.

I wonder why there are no pics of the dang boat, I keep waiting for them because the boat will tell us a lot.
Delta-T likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 02-04-2014

stagman is on a distinguished road

I would love to be the publisher to give this guy a book deal is all I can say

If you all are looking for another great read I highly recommend a book called In Harm's Way. It's the story of the USS Indianapolis, a heavy cruiser (CA-35) which amongst other things set the record for fastest sailing from SF to Pearl, was the favorite of FDR, and was ADM Spruance's flagship. She was torpedoed right at the end of the war and the Navy was so caught up in preparations for surrender that no one ever reported her overdue. of her crew of roughly 1200, 900 went into the water. After 4 days of exposure only 317 made it out.
Old 02-04-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post

If you all are looking for another great read I highly recommend a book called In Harm's Way. It's the story of the USS Indianapolis, a heavy cruiser (CA-35) which amongst other things set the record for fastest sailing from SF to Pearl, was the favorite of FDR, and was ADM Spruance's flagship. She was torpedoed right at the end of the war and the Navy was so caught up in preparations for surrender that no one ever reported her overdue. of her crew of roughly 1200, 900 went into the water. After 4 days of exposure only 317 made it out.
Terrific book!

My favorite scene in 'Jaws' is Cap'n Quint telling his story about being on the Indianapolis when she was sunk. Bloodchilling.
jzk and Brewgyver like this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 02-04-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Reading through this thread and others scattered around the internet, I am truly amazed at how easily this mans story is being accepted as the gospel truth. There are the beginnings of cracks in the story, however. Sixteen months has been pared down to thirteen in the most recent accounts. In another thread I shared what type of metabolic disturbances he would be expected to have after thirteen months dining on raw seafood and bird blood. And I stand by my contention that from a medical stand point, this story fails the sniff test on more than just a few levels.
Old 02-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post

Actually the sos call was heard and due to a clerical error it was thought to be a ruse by the Japanese and that happened prior to the surrender the Indy was delivering a top secret cargo later disclosed as little boy the bomb that ultimately was dropped on Hiroshima and that was what ended the war

Old 02-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Reading through this thread and others scattered around the internet, I am truly amazed at how easily this mans story is being accepted as the gospel truth. There are the beginnings of cracks in the story, however. Sixteen months has been pared down to thirteen in the most recent accounts. In another thread I shared what type of metabolic disturbances he would be expected to have after thirteen months dining on raw seafood and bird blood. And I stand by my contention that from a medical stand point, this story fails the sniff test on more than just a few levels.
Give me a full list of expected medical conditions and likely causes and I will try to explain how to prevent them at sea and being of central american decent and commercial fishermen
Working outdoors all the time low probability for sunburn.

Old 02-04-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

30 years ago I was in Guadalupe for a couple weeks in december on holiday. Two sailors were brought into the beach by a local boat. They were a mess. They were involved in a race from the Canaries to Guadalupe on frekin Hobie cats! They had turtled and tied themselves to the overturned tramps and drifted for days till the fisherman found them.
Their extremities were bloated from the exposure. Their feet would squish as they tried to walk assisted on the beach.
So what did the French do. They gave them a cigarette and some champagne!
Jim
Old 02-04-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Give me a full list of expected medical conditions and likely causes and I will try to explain how to prevent them at sea and being of central american decent and commercial fishermen
Working outdoors all the time low probability for sunburn.
Haemochromatosis - (Iron overload due to ingestion solely of raw fish and bird blood).
Hypernatremia - (Caused by dehydration and continued raw blood ingestion).
Hydrarayria - (Mercury poisoning resulting from subsisting solely on raw fish for extended periods).

I'm not arguing that it would be impossible to survive months at sea. Others have done it. But, on a long enough timeline, there comes a time when the human body can no longer subsist or survive on a diet of raw seafood and bird blood. From a physiological perspective, that timeline will expire well before the twelve month mark, let alone thirteen, or even sixteen, as was originally reported. Now, I'm sure that you could provide anectdotal evidence of someone who survived severe dehydration over an extended period, say, 90 days on the outside. But, we're talking at least 390 days here. And I'm saying that from a medical stand point, I question the validity of the story.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.