Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014
OUPV 25 Ton

CaptainRahnn is on a distinguished road
Baja Ha Ha

I've been sailing about 25 years mostly inland ie SF bay and Delta. I've recently purchased a 76 Cal 34 MK II and considering the Ba HaHa this year any tips for a first timer on this adventure? Do's and Dont's, gear choices, sail inventory etc.
thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
re: Baja Ha Ha

Adding the link for new sailors to reference.

Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-01-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road
Re: Baja Ha Ha

Chanel the Phoobha .

Last edited by Markwesti; 02-01-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

We originally thought we might participate in the Ha-ha; even got a registration packet in '07. But that was when it was only a hand full of boats. Now it is something quite different. If you go say "Hi" to LaDonna from L38 for us.

Old 02-06-2014
Sailing Guy

Sail444 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sail444
Check out video documentary

You might want to view a documentary, "Whales, Gales and the Baja Ha-Ha" , which follows the 2009 event and includes tips.

Just Google it on YouTube to get the link.

Fair Winds,
Steve Szirom

Last edited by Sail444; 02-12-2014 at 05:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sail444 For This Useful Post:
CaptainRahnn (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

My baby sister planned to go in 2013, but wasn't able to finish the improvements she wanted on her Cat 30 in time. So, she crewed on another (bigger) boat, with 4 others. That single trip hooked her on cruising - she now has a goal to cruise at least a couple of months every year. She also highly recommends doing what she did - crewing on a boat with prior HaHas under the owner's belt.
Old 03-11-2014

CaptainWabamun is on a distinguished road

Sailed in last year's 2013 Baja Ha Ha as crew. Highly recommend. Also have been a long time sailor, 30+ years, but almost all my expereince has been coastal and lake sailing experience.

The experience did therefore provide me a fresh lens on sailing as it involved off shore, night sailing, provisioning, equipment issues and crew dynamics among other things one does not typically address in inland/coastal sailing to the same degree.

Books written with lists of considerations and advice of course - so I won't start any new threads. My best two tips:

1. identify some off-shore sailors or distance cruisers to have the odd pint with and hear about their sailing experience - worth their weight in gold.

2. Have a really solid assessment of your boat and equipment completed. Getting some qualified eyes to look over your boat - like some off-shore sailors might be quite useful. Our skipper had numbers of little innovations made in his rigging for off-shore sailing that impressed all three of his reasonably experienced crew. We all left his boat after the race with nifty lists of improvements to make to our boats. Equipment failure did end the race for some, and for for others it was a constant annoyance at best.

Great sailing with a fleet as part of the rally as it provided an incredible community of knowledge, skills and help when required - and it was not without some great shore parties and fun.

Well worth the doing.....

Cheers
tommays and luck66 like this.
Old 03-11-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Just be aware that sailing down the coast to Cabo is MUCH easier, and more fun, than sailing back up the coast to "Alta California".
dstouten likes this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 03-11-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

we did it in 2000 on an old wooden ketch, smallest of the fleet at that time...I was 18 and my crew was 71 or so...

if we could do it anybody can

feel free to ask any questions...it was fun for a new offshore sailors

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 03-11-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Captain Wabamum, can you elaborate on your item 2? I am interested in the inovations, upgrades and modifications your skipper did to his boat. What was the make/model of the boat and what was the race? I did the Ha Ha back in '10 on a friends Nordic 44 that we also did the PacCup in '08. I am planning on doing Mexico myself in my Catalina and am always interested in helpful hints.

Tags
ba ha ha , cabo san lucas , cruising , mexico bound