Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Sleeping preference?

Doesn't UPS or FedEx ship to Saint Thomas?

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Yes they do. Unfortunately there's no UPS ground so you are paying for air. UPS and FedEx consider the USVIs an International destination and because of proximity to the continental US charge it as a next day air international rate!!!! Therein lies the problem and why it costs so much. USPS is frequently a quarter or less of those fees.

There are a few large shippers that have very reasonable negotiated rates with UPS and FedEx to here. DishTV is one of them as is Advanced Auto.
Old 02-02-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Bummer - you might want to check some of the forums and find out if someone is headed your way in a sailboat or trawler that can make a delivery to you.

Gary
Old 02-02-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

foamorder.com says they will ship using USPS to international locations. We had a semi-custom mattress made by them for our house and it's been great. Their website is also very informative compared to most other retailers.
FarCry and AKA44 like this.
Old 02-02-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

FarCry,

if there is a canvas house there, you might be able to negotiate the purchase of some foam from them. Even though the foam will be more expensive, you might be able to break even or maybe even be ahead by the time you've paid shipping
Old 02-02-2014
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
foamorder.com says they will ship using USPS to international locations. We had a semi-custom mattress made by them for our house and it's been great. Their website is also very informative compared to most other retailers.
Thanks for that lead. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 02-02-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

To answer the OP;

My boat has a settee that pulls out to become a queen bed. "The Admiral" does not like the V berth, so we usually sleep on the queen settee. She does not find the 4" foam comfortable enough, so I carry an Intex queen size air mattress (6" thick), and inflate it before we go to bed. The air mattress is great, because it takes no additional room, until we need it. We then make up the bed with a set of fitted queen sheets & blankets. I suppose that the air mattress could also be used as a life raft if we were desperate...

When I am traveling with the guys, or staying on the boat alone, I sleep in the V berth; either in, or on a sleeping bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-02-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2014
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
FarCry,

if there is a canvas house there, you might be able to negotiate the purchase of some foam from them. Even though the foam will be more expensive, you might be able to break even or maybe even be ahead by the time you've paid shipping
A good suggestion and one I've already tried. They aren't really getting any breaks on foam apparently and have to pay a tax since it's for resale (a tax I don't have to pay). By the time they add on their markup I might as well fly to FL and buy a second one-way ticket for the foam to fly back with me in an adjacent seat.

The foam in the vee berth and aft birth look brand new and are somewhere between hickory and oak wood in softness. I've never in my life felt such firm foam! As soon as we sail out for a trip I lay down and am reminded how miserable the foam is. Then I come onto SN and get reminded to do something about it.
Old 02-02-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

One more point. The Intex air mattresses are available in a wide variety of sizes, not just queen.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-02-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

This is not something to overthink, in my view. Sleep where you are comfortable. Sleeping has never been a problem for me on the boat, I've slept just about everywhere except the dinghy, and I'm not ruling that one out yet.