Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Sleeping preference?

Got a great air mattress from Wall-mart for $29 that fits perfectly in the settee. Queen size mattress, fitted sheets, the admiral loves it. Plus it's a lot easier to get in and out of than the vee berth.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2014
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

First question to my mind, underway or on the hook?... The "torpedo tubes" are gonna be more comfortable than the v-berth while underway. Especially with adequate lee boards or cloths installed.

On the current single hander, my quarter berth is the only option as v-berth has been given over to stowage. In a blow while underway, have been known to nap on the cabin sole. Of course, as a single hander we don't have to worry about crew-mates stepping on our face. Lowest CG possible and right at the boats center of motion, plus shipping water is easy to detect...

On the "big boat" when we had kids, and sometimes crew the pilot berth in the salon was the preferred spot underway.... center of motion and good lee boards to keep you in place. Ass on the bulkhead, knees on the lee boards and nighty night. If more than one person off watch second choice was aft cabin, but berth too big to brace yourself underway, and autopilot puts up a terrible racket. Better choice than the v-berth which is hobby horsing like a bitch.

At anchor..... who cares? Nice to be able to get 5 or 6 hours uninterrupted.

Onboard - Solitaire
The Following User Says Thank You to Cap-Couillon For This Useful Post:
sharkbait (02-04-2014)
Old 02-02-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
... Make your life easier and use flat sheets, not fitted. A queen sheet fits over most V-berths...
I read a tip on someone's cruising blog to use the Queen fitted sheet with the corner at the V of the berth. I tried it and surprisingly, it is a LOT easier to get on the V-berth cushions than crawling and tucking a flat sheet. Also, that V area doesn't come off in the middle of the night. The rest of the sheet is easy to tuck under the rest of the cushions and all stays put quite nicely.
Alex W likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-02-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Lots of good advice here. One thing I realized this past summer after I went on my first overnighter, was that there are a lot of things that I am not going to be able to sort out before going on a few trips. On the first few trips, I am going to assume that there will be a few things we will need to improve.
Old 02-02-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

As I got older I found that sleeping in a very veed v-berth (meaning veed to a sharp point) to be damn nigh impossible and on our previous boat I ended up kipping on one of the settees.

Current girl's v-berth stops (or starts) just aft of anchor locker so there is more than adequate tootsy wriggle room.

I'm also one of those who will often still sleep in the saloon if I'm at all worried about the anchorage.

I think though that it would have to be a very sad anchorage if it was too rough to sleep up front.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-02-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I read a tip on someone's cruising blog to use the Queen fitted sheet with the corner at the V of the berth. I tried it and surprisingly, it is a LOT easier to get on the V-berth cushions than crawling and tucking a flat sheet. Also, that V area doesn't come off in the middle of the night. The rest of the sheet is easy to tuck under the rest of the cushions and all stays put quite nicely.

Not heard that one before .... sounds good though, must try it. The Wombet has been threatening to cut and resew fitted bottom sheets but thus far talk is all it has been.

btw ... back in my furniture making days I had a mattress made up of three different foam densities with a double thickness of wadding on top. Fabulous mattress and the wadding kept it cooler than plain foam.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-02-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
...On the first few trips, I am going to assume that there will be a few things we will need to improve.
I doubt that will end after the first few trips.
jimgo likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-02-2014

warren5421 is on a distinguished road

Is there anywhere in the states to get a good non-foam matress for the V-Berth. I have a reaction to most foam so need to get someting I don't get a rash from.
Old 02-03-2014

adamsj23 is on a distinguished road
Sleeping preference?

I can help if you need foam in the usvi. Message me
Old 02-03-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Somewhat shamefacedly I have to report that last evening the Wombet informed me that this is what we already do. Bought king size fitted sheet just for that purpose.
DRFerron likes this.