Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Sleeping preference?

As we prep the interior for first overnight trips in probably March I am trying to think ahead about sleeping configuration. The vintage HR28 has 2 v-berth and 2 quarter berth sleeping place. Each have 4" of decent foam at this point. We feel sleeping in v-berth would leave CA in open to Co figure for hanging out. But we have never slept on a boat. Where do most folks sleep with choices like ours and why? Will the 4" of foam work? I am 6'1" 225 wife is petite so will fit anywhere. Looking for opinions. Also if in the v-berth are there any options for custom mattresses that would not be at up the budget too bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping preference?-rps20140202_092337_866.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping preference?

A lot of variations there. I sleep great on our boat's foam mattresses, but to tell you the truth, I sometimes wonder how.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-02-2014

jrcanoe is on a distinguished road

Play hard, Eat well and you won't care where you sleep.
ODay e-pod likes this.
Old 02-02-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

we sleep in the v-berth, but SWMBO and I like each other. some couple like to have their own berths and sleep solo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Foam is great, just make sure that it is in good shape (it deteriorates over time). You can unzip most boat cushions to check out the foam inside.

Remember that expensive Tempurpedic mattresses are simply 6" of high grade 35lb density foam with 3" of memory foam on top. You can easily replicate that on a boat by adding a memory foam topper to your boat's foam. They are cheap from sources like overstock.com. I like to use the egg-crate style (lying on the flat part, egg crate facing down) because it helps the bed breath and dry out when you aren't in it.

Our specific bed recipe is:
HD36-HQ base foam mattress in 4" from Foam Factory
Eggcrate memory foam topper in 3" from Overstock
A sheet over the whole thing. Make your life easier and use flat sheets, not fitted. A queen sheet fits over most V-berths

Then another flat sheet and other bedding of your choice on top. This gives us comfort very close to what we have at home.

I bought standard sized toppers and foam mattresses and cut them to size. Memory foam topper can be cut with heavy duty scissors. The foam mattresses were cut with a cheap electric turkey carving knife. Our V-berth and quarterberth cushions are in two pieces, but we made the toppers bridge that so you can't feel the gap in the cushions while sleeping.

Our boat has a double width quarterberth, a V-berth, and two settees. We've used all of them successfully for sleeping, but get the best night's sleep on the quarterberth because it provides the largest bed area. Guests seem to prefer the V-berth because it is well above the waterline (some people are uncomfortable sleeping right at the waterline) and has the most accessible ventilation.

To get used to sleeping on the boat do some easy overnighters (even just staying in your marina) before heading out on a longer cruise. I often stay on my boat the nice before a race or long sail, and doing so gives me a chance to experiment with different setups.
Old 02-02-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

One of my others thoughts was that main cabin sleeping versus v-berth might be rcommended in a rolling anchorage. Any truth to that. I just imagine being closer to boat COG might reduce rocking?

Last edited by rbyham; 02-02-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Whatever you decide, make sure you have a plan B. On more than 1 occasion SWMBO has ended up in the v-berth with me sleeping in the cabin, but that varies fro night to night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If you are in a rough anchorage you'll probably prefer to sleep where you can most easily check out conditions outside. For me that is the cockpit or a main cabin settee.
Old 02-02-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I sleep very well in the Vee berth of my 33 Morgan. The berth is quite large, and I purchased 3-inch thick memory foam that I cut to fit the berth. That foam goes on top of the cushions, and a custom fitted sheet goes over the top of everything. Makes for a very, very comfortable night's sleep.

I have also slept in the Morgan's quarter berth, which is very large as well, but if two people slept in there they would have to be very good friends. It too has the memory foam on top of the cushions and a fitted sheet.

Gary
Old 02-02-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Does anybody have a good source for foam that will ship through the USPS? Overstock won't ship to the USVI, period. They will ship to a bunch of International locations, but not here. The Foam Factory will only ship here via air carrier to the tune of hundreds of dollars, actually more money to ship than the cost of the items I ordered! I confirmed shipping with Foam Factory before placing an order last year, a week later they sent an email saying that they miscalculated shipping and were going to ship the order but just wanted me to be aware there would be a SLIGHT increase in charges. Scrolling down to the attachment I noticed the shipping went from about $80 to over $250!! WTF!!!! NO NO NO that is not a slight increase and YES you can cancel that order. The email reply told me there would be a cancellation/restocking fee. My reply was, good luck with that, give it your best shot! I was never charged any fees. In that past I've shipped to friends in the continental US and had them forward stuff for me. I hate to do that.
If anybody has a good recommendation I'm all ears. Thanks.