Unexplained phenomena while sailing... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 02-03-2014
mad_machine's Avatar
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 3,107
Thanks: 5
Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 2
mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

I have seen things in the skies over the Pine Barrens of Southern NJ I could never explain.

The strangest was a serious of 5 lights that flashed from right to left, seemingly only a few hundred feet above the trees. As a whole they were traveling to the east and making no noise even though each flash light up the ground like a flashbulb.

Saw them every day for a week (sometimes from directly underneath) and once chased them all the way to Great Bay at the Mouth of the Mullica. (about 10 miles by car) and then they disappeared for a week.

The next time I saw anything, they were obviously man made, probably flares dropped from a plane. They traveled from west to east and the flashes went right to left, but the "lights" were uneven and you could hear the plane.

If they had been UFOs (well, technically they were) the government was doing a good job of covering it up
__________________
Art Haberland
__________________

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 02-03-2014
manatee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S.E. Florida
Posts: 896
Thanks: 16
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 2
manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Reflections of space junk, or so I have been told by our local astronomy buff.
Did he mean Iridium Flare? Find An Iridium Flare

We saw one at the Winter Star Party in the Keys some years ago. The 'flare' part is very fast & very short, not likely to be mistaken for anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56
. . .seen some stuff lighting up on the Moon one time but didn't have the camera set up.
Was it in the Aristarchus region?
__________________
===========================
*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 02-03-2014
guitarguy56's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 515
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

For laughs look at this raw footage of STS Mission 123... focus on the lower right of the screen...



Region where I saw spots of light was Mare Nectaris... lower right of the Moon during a quarter moon... bright and very clear that night using the refractor... very high resolution hence no camera on the eyepiece.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-03-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 02-03-2014
ericb760's Avatar
Been there, done that...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3
ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Eric... I've seen objects that do change direction and so have the space shuttle cameras... they also recorded objects changing 90 degrees after stopping for an instant.

Glad there is another amateur astronomer on these boards... I have an Orion Astroview 120 refractor (my best refractor) and a Meade LX200... seen some stuff lighting up on the Moon one time but didn't have the camera set up. What's your set up? Star parties, etc.

TimR... suggest you get a VW moon hubcap... works better!
I have a Meade ETX-125 with a Celestron PowerTank and a Celestron 90EQ Refractor. As you know, the Meade takes a bit of time to set up, so I keep the Celestron handy to pull out for a quick look around. I bought the Celestron about fifteen years ago and it was old when I bought it. But, it has Japanese glass that is phenomenal! Even old-timers are impressed by it. I can resolve three or four of Jupiter's bands in good air. I really love my Meade, and would equally love an LX200, but I just don't have the space right now. I had it "supercharged" by Dr. Clay at the Arkansas Sky Observatory, and I would suggest this service to anyone with a GOTO mount. With proper alignment, everything that I goto ends up dead center of the eyepiece.Weasner's Meade ETX TechTips

I usually attend the semi-monthly Star Party at the Seal Beach Pier. Good bunch of folks. Not always the best seeing, but fun nonetheless! Astronomy Night-Star Party ę Bogart's Coffee House
__________________
1969 S&S Yankee Dolphin 24 "Avri Ellis"

Last edited by ericb760; 02-03-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 02-03-2014
guitarguy56's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 515
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I have a Meade ETX-125 with a Celestron PowerTank and a Celestron 90EQ Refractor. As you know, the Meade takes a bit of time to set up, so I keep the Celestron handy to pull out for a quick look around. I bought the Celestron about fifteen years ago and it was old when I bought it. But, it has Japanese glass that is phenomenal! Even old-timers are impressed by it. I can resolve three or four of Jupiter's bands in good air. I really love my Meade, and would equally love an LX200, but I just don't have the space right now. I had it "supercharged" by Dr. Clay at the Arkansas Sky Observatory, and I would suggest this service to anyone with a GOTO mount. With proper alignment, everything that I goto ends up dead center of the eyepiece.Weasner's Meade ETX TechTips

I usually attend the semi-monthly Star Party at the Seal Beach Pier. Good bunch of folks. Not always the best seeing, but fun nonetheless! Astronomy Night-Star Party ę Bogart's Coffee House
Nice optics there Eric... would kill to get some older optics from the 70's...

I was a member of Boeing's Astronomical Society back in the mid 2000's when doing work on the 787 systems... we had a place up in Snowqualmie, WA... elevation was 2200 ft. so clear of Seattle lights... very dark and clear most times we went for a party... There were other places they had set up with other clubs but a long drive to get there...

Savannah doesn't have much by way of star parties but occasionally they have one on Oatland Island, pretty clear of lights since it's on a wildlife refuge... I have a pair of high power binoculars when I was on the sailboat in Everett and once passed the lights off Mukilteo the night sky opens up.
ericb760 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 02-03-2014
ericb760's Avatar
Been there, done that...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3
ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Nice optics there Eric... would kill to get some older optics from the 70's...

I was a member of Boeing's Astronomical Society back in the mid 2000's when doing work on the 787 systems... we had a place up in Snowqualmie, WA... elevation was 2200 ft. so clear of Seattle lights... very dark and clear most times we went for a party... There were other places they had set up with other clubs but a long drive to get there...

Savannah doesn't have much by way of star parties but occasionally they have one on Oatland Island, pretty clear of lights since it's on a wildlife refuge... I have a pair of high power binoculars when I was on the sailboat in Everett and once passed the lights off Mukilteo the night sky opens up.
You can bet that if I ever head down South on a boat, I'm going to pack one (or both) to go with me! I lived in Palm Springs for a decade and would head up to Joshua Tree National Park a couple of times a year. At the back of the park you are, literally, hundreds of miles from light pollution. It was why I bought a telescope in the first place. Living in the city now, I actually use my Meade more for looking at the sun now. I splurged and bought an H-Alpha filter that really shows a lot of solar detail.H-Alpha
guitarguy56 likes this.
__________________
1969 S&S Yankee Dolphin 24 "Avri Ellis"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 02-03-2014
manatee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: S.E. Florida
Posts: 896
Thanks: 16
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 2
manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56
Region where I saw spots of light was Mare Nectaris... lowerright of theMoon during a quarter moon... bright and very clear that night using the refractor... very high resolution hence no camera on the eyepiece.
Flashes, or extended duration? Stationary?

Meteor Impacts Moon
__________________
===========================
*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 02-03-2014
guitarguy56's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 515
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Flashes, or extended duration? Stationary?

Meteor Impacts Moon
It may have been a small impact flash from some meteor... problem with this is the flashes were on/off for several seconds in the same region observed... this happened for more than one occasion that night... now I know NASA inserted a mirror to get laser measurements, etc... but the location of the mirror is at the Sea of Tranquility... so not there.



As can be seen in this map quite a number of impacts in Mare Nectaris region... who knows?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 02-03-2014
guitarguy56's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 515
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
You can bet that if I ever head down South on a boat, I'm going to pack one (or both) to go with me! I lived in Palm Springs for a decade and would head up to Joshua Tree National Park a couple of times a year. At the back of the park you are, literally, hundreds of miles from light pollution. It was why I bought a telescope in the first place. Living in the city now, I actually use my Meade more for looking at the sun now. I splurged and bought an H-Alpha filter that really shows a lot of solar detail.H-Alpha
I would love to have the scopes with me when cruising later... I imagine the salt air and moisture would kill them, that is why a pair of high powered binoculars are best for night and day observing... the stability on the boat would not be particularly best for resolution... but I imagine if one was on a cat it might be slightly better... best would be to find some small atoll or island and do some night sky observing... wonder how a Dobsonian would do on the deck...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 02-03-2014
ericb760's Avatar
Been there, done that...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3
ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: Unexplained phenomena while sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
I would love to have the scopes with me when cruising later... I imagine the salt air and moisture would kill them, that is why a pair of high powered binoculars are best for night and day observing... the stability on the boat would not be particularly best for resolution... but I imagine if one was on a cat it might be slightly better... best would be to find some small atoll or island and do some night sky observing... wonder how a Dobsonian would do on the deck...
I've thought about this as well, especially after watching this video some years ago.
__________________
1969 S&S Yankee Dolphin 24 "Avri Ellis"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 US National Sailing Team Named - US SAILING News @ ISAF - Sailing.org NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-20-2006 07:18 AM
USA. US SAILING names 2006 US National Sailing Team @ BYM Sailing News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-20-2006 03:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.