SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   3G Radar V/S AIS, or get both... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/121409-3g-radar-v-s-ais-get-both.html)

travlineasy 02-06-2014 05:40 PM

3G Radar V/S AIS, or get both...

Like most of us, I try to cut costs whenever possible, and after using a friends Lowrance 3G Radar, I'm seriously considering installing it on my boat, which I think would be a great safety feature when I'm sailing at night. Then I thought about an AIS transceiver, which cost nearly as much as the radar. My wife said stop spending all that money on the boat and don't sail at night - she is deathly afraid of nighttime sailing.

Then I thought about the benefits of having both 3G Radar and AIS, and integrating it all on my Lowrance HDS7 GPS/Plotter. The cost would be about $2,000 for the combination. Of course, if the admiral finds out I'm even considering this, funeral services will be within a week of her finding out I blew that much cash again. ;)

Any opinions from users of either 3G Radar or AIS would be welcomed.

Gary :cool:

Markwesti 02-06-2014 06:07 PM

Re: 3G Radar V/S AIS, or get both...

2k for the combo ? Would you send me a link . But back to your thread, one or the other? As I see it if I had to choose I would first get radar . Just for the fact that not everyone has AIS , and I'm pretty sure a sea wall or what ever does not either .

tdw 02-06-2014 06:38 PM

I'm intrigued. I've not researched new gen radar but a couple of grand ? Sounds almost too good to be true.

MarkofSeaLife 02-06-2014 07:50 PM

I doubt you can get combo radar and AIS for $2,000

If you are going to sea day or night i would get the AIS first.

AIS can save your life when you screw up.

A radar cant save your life when you screw up. It can only help when you are right on the ball.

JonEisberg 02-06-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 1388033)
I doubt you can get combo radar and AIS for $2,000

If you are going to sea day or night i would get the AIS first.

AIS can save your life when you screw up.

A radar cant save your life when you screw up. It can only help when you are right on the ball.

Huh??? Not sure the guys on the recent Shackelton re-enactment would agree, I'm betting on their final approach to King Haakon Bay, they would have preferred to have radar... :-) Radar can have great value as a position-fixing device, after all, especially in a place like this. Radar doesn't 'lie', like charts sometimes can... :-)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...bruitchart.jpg

Depends where you happen to be sailing at a given time, of course... Western Approaches to the English Channel, I might give AIS the nod... Approaching the Maine coast in thick visibility, on the other hand, or tracking the movement of squalls at night in the Mona Passage, radar wins hands down...

blowinstink 02-06-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlineasy (Post 1387417)
Of course, if the admiral finds out I'm even considering this, funeral services will be within a week of her finding out I blew that much cash again. ;)

Gary :cool:

Hey, if ya gotta knock her off ya gotta . . . we understand.

blowinstink 02-06-2014 08:41 PM

Easily under $2000 (I assume you have the HDS7)

Lowrance Broadband 3G Radar The GPS Store

Standard Horizon Matrix AIS GX2150 VHF - Black The GPS Store

More like $1550 (plus the little bits)

MarkofSeaLife 02-06-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowinstink (Post 1388322)

[url=http://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-Matrix-AIS-GX2150-VHF-Black-P3711.aspx]Standard Horizon Matrix AIS GX2150 VHF - Black The GPS

Thats an AIS receiver only.
Which, imho, should be banned, outlawed, and chucked overboard. I think the benifit in them is others, bigger and faster can see where you are and what you are doing. :)

Mind you i think that unit is fine IF one has an AIS transponder.

The radar needs the Lowrance plotter, which the OP has, so a cheaper AIS transponder will come in under the $2,000. But for people who need the display too its much more expensive.

Most AIS transponders are stand alone and can integrate into a PC running OpenCpn, for example, so the total cost is just the AIS box and $70 antenna(and its GPS antenna).

If the budget extends to it, buy it. Buy everything, buy a bigger boat etc. :)

PaulinVictoria 02-06-2014 09:58 PM

The GX2150 is AIS receive only, I think Gary is looking at transmitting it too.
[Edit]
Beat me to it. Get everything, it's only money

MastUndSchotbruch 02-06-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 1388594)
The radar needs the Lowrance plotter, which the OP has, so a cheaper AIS transponder will come in under the $2,000.

GPS transponders $2,000.-? More like $500.-. Eg

Si-Tex MDA 1 Metadata Class B AIS Transceiver The GPS Store

Even West Marine has them for 600.- rack rate, e.g. the EM TRAK MARINE ELECTRONICS B100

Of course they are all Class B but that's what you want.