Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By travlineasy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014

budvar is on a distinguished road
Marina Frozen

Just as we thought Spring was coming, mother nature gives a stern reminder.

My US Yacht 25 is moored here on the Columbia river. We finally got our cold spell and the entire marina was frozen over in 2 days time, from wind and chill. I have a heater and light bulb going inside. A neighbor has a bubbler going 3 slips down on the opposite side. I went and checked on her today, thought of breaking up the ice. No go, it's too thick to break up. Then I wondered if breaking it up would be a good idea anyway. Several boats (sail and motor) are in the same shape as my boat.

My question...we're 20 deg. below normal and we should be gradually warming over next few days. What's done is done. Any harm to the boat?

Thanks,
Chris
Kennewick, Wa.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014

Re: Marina Frozen

My apologies. Just found this recent thread:

Boat Ice
Old 02-08-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well I would not use a light bulb for heat, they do not give off much, and are quite fragile and can cause fires if they break. At this point there is not much you can do. if you are in protected waters you should be OK. If it is in the river I would be very worried about ice flow pulling the docks or your boat loose. Here in New York the only places on the Hudson river that keep boats and even docks in the water are ones that are in protected harbors because the ice flow in the spring will rip everything short of a bridge pier up going down stream. They generally keep the water moving so that they do not get ice around the boats. If you are protected the water will just melt. I would open all the cabinetry that is around the thru hulls and perhaps get one of the electric heaters that has the oil filled radiator, as they pose the least fire risk since there is no exposed heating coils. Find a "cheap one" that has mechanical controls as the ones with the fancy digital readouts will not turn back on after a power failure, and we all know the electric on docks is not real stable. Your biggest threat to your boat is going to be thru-hulls cracking and or the hoses leading to them. If you get snow do clear it off the decks and especially the cockpit. I would also make sure there is nothing in the scuppers like leaves or crud.

The other thread was about a mooring in the river, so I think you are OK with starting a new thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
budvar (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

You can drill a hole in the ice with an ice auger, then purchase a cheap compressor, the same as those used in tropical fish tanks, connect enough tubing to reach down to a depth of 6 to 8 feet, put a fishing sinker on the bottom of the tubing, and fire up the compressor. You will be amazed at how fast this little rig removes ice. I saw one in action a couple weeks ago and was amazed. This guy drilled the hole in the ice right net to the boat, and had one of those bubbler stones on the end of the tubing to disperse the bubbles. It only took one day for the center of the boat to be ice free. I think he said the tropical fish tank compressor only cost him about $20.

Gary
budvar likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
budvar (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014

Thank You.

We are just off the Columbia River, in a protected area with little or no tidal swing (river minimal current as well this time of year). I have a little West Marine heater running, with everything opened up. The weather is supposed to gradually warm up into the 40's this week. Praying everything is ok. Have a new full battened main arriving in a couple weeks!

Thank You.
Old 02-10-2014

You gotta love neighbors. Cape Dory next slip over. I texted him other day about all the ice. He must have had a bubbler, but didn't know it was that bad. I went there this am. He placed the bubbler between his and my boat. Chinook is already nearly ice free on one side.

I Did still place an aquarium pump strategically, as an experiment. Then removed snow from the cockpit. Inside heater working fine and seacock good thus far.

Thank You all!!!!!