Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road
Angry Thugs - bl@@dy thugs !

Thought I'll share this with all of you here on the forum, it helps me to vent my anger and frustration !

Last Friday I was checking a famous auction site for bargain boat bits in preparation for the new sailing season. Saw (what is most likely) my own outboard advertised there on a 24 hour auction. I went the following morning to the marina to check on "Rockhopper". And yes, my outboard is gone ! The safety cable was cut through and the engine removed including and despite a transom lock. Following this at least another 4 outboard thefts have been identified at my marina. I've actually managed to put the winning bid on fleebay and got part of the details of the vendor (who actually hasn't got in touch with myself). Police despite temporary arrests (the seller is well known to the authorities) have not been able to find any engines. I am the only witness apart from the CCTV that was found later. My insurance will pay but I will be several hundred £ short. Obviously my premium will go up. And then there will be more time needed to run in the engine and do my mods again, my engine lift mechanism, outboard hour counter etc. Will need to fix the rest of the damage to the boat (mainly cut through ropes including rudder up and down haul). So I am pretty angry and frustrated. Reading a lot about boat alarm systems and making plans on how to protect my pride and joy better. I've also got a FB page up now where I've listed my outboard as stolen for the public as there is no such thing on social media so far here in the UK. Check out "Stolen Boat Bits" and please like the page to promote it. I don't want anybody involved in this theft to be able to know my details, though. Feel free to share the page with as many friends as possible.

Does any of you have any alarm systems on your boats, use engine trackers or anything similar ?

Here is a link to the FB page

https://www.facebook.com/StolenBoatBits

and here is a quick description of my outboard (just in case some of my fellow UK or European sailnet members see a bargain outboard advertised)

to seek out some far foreign shore

From "The Seafarer", an Anglo-Saxon 10th century manuscript.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Thugs - bl@@dy thugs !

That sucks. One of the many reasons I left the UK, the level of crime, drinking, drug abuse and general lack of respect for people and property. Doesn't look like it got any better in the last six years either. I don't think a lock, tracker or alarm would have made any difference in your case. They saw a thousand quids worth of almost brand new motor and wanted it.
xort likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your troubles.

Could you install a webcam/alarm system that would film them when they come back, and have it alert your phone? It won't stop the next theft, but with a good video setup you might help catch them. ---then nail their scruffy hides to the boat shed as a warning.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2014
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that. I left Essex 2 years ago. To many thugs around the place for sure.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 02-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

My son is a cop and I have suggested that they each be issued with one clip of discretionary ammunition at the commencement of their careers.

Some of his colleagues agree.

In at least my case it is only 1/2 joking. The vast majority of the sort of crime the OP notes are by a tiny handful of what are known as "Prolific Offenders". The police know them all - some have been arrested dozens, even hundreds of times. A little discreet thinning of the herd would do wonders for the human genome.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-09-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you can just sue this criminal for the losses you incur. Since it's unlikely he'll be punished by the extremely lenient British system, at least you can recoup your losses.
Old 02-09-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
My son is a cop and I have suggested that they each be issued with one clip of discretionary ammunition at the commencement of their careers.

Some of his colleagues agree.

In at least my case it is only 1/2 joking. The vast majority of the sort of crime the OP notes are by a tiny handful of what are known as "Prolific Offenders". The police know them all - some have been arrested dozens, even hundreds of times. A little discreet thinning of the herd would do wonders for the human genome.
Well said, but I think Stumble would take issue with that approach, it is just "petty theft" in his mind, no big deal.

When we had our boat in Clipper Yacht Harbor in Sausalito, on SF Bay we often saw the hippies, who lived in junk houseboats in Richardson Bay, very slowly cruising up & down the fairways in their skiffs, "casing" the easy outboards to steal the next night. As ours was locked down in a well with a locked cover they choose to steal the easier marks first. Although outboard theft was very common there, ours were not stolen over a 10 year period.

Paul T
Old 02-09-2014

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Sorry to hear that. I left Essex 2 years ago. To many thugs around the place for sure.
Please don't paint all of Essex with the same brush. Although I haven't lived there for thirty years, my mother still lives in an Essex village where there is almost no crime. It does seem that the East End thug mentality is slowly spreading; sorry to hear it has reached the Crouch.
Old 02-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Well said, but I think Stumble would take issue with that approach, it is just "petty theft" in his mind, no big deal.

When we had our boat in Clipper Yacht Harbor in Sausalito, on SF Bay we often saw the hippies, who lived in junk houseboats in Richardson Bay, very slowly cruising up & down the fairways in their skiffs, "casing" the easy outboards to steal the next night. As ours was locked down in a well with a locked cover they choose to steal the easier marks first. Although outboard theft was very common there, ours were not stolen over a 10 year period.

Paul T
Those aren't hippies, they are plain old scumbag lowlifes.

Hippies aren't thieves - that would be bad Karma. .
capta and Geoff54 like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-09-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I can feel for you FinallySailing.

The guy who stole my outboard, Ed ward Per si co of Riverhead NY. That's Edw ard Pers ico of Riverhead NY... he's got a plea bargain deal for a misdemeanor and 3 years of probation. That's down from the class E felony possession of stolen property over $1000. We got to watch, yes WATCH the arrest where the cops pulled my hard earned outboard out of this scumbag's trunk.

The police on the east end know his family well -- they recognized the name -- although this is the first time this particular member of that crime gang has been caught. You should hear the undercover recording when the cop called to buy my hard earned outboard from the scumbag... He sounded so convincing that the cop and I both thought that he couldn't be the guy.

I found out too late that prosecutors like to offer watered down plea deals, because it helps their statistics. This gets them a high success rate so they can move on to a better job or something. Edward Persico really out to have been taken to court for the full charge, not only for stealing the dinghy engine, but for leaving my child and I stranded on the shore on a cold, windy fall night.

For those just tuning in, there's a thread on the theft and recovery via Craigslist ad here:Dinghy engine thief caught!! Fake CraigsList Ad

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 02-09-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Tags
crime , outboard , safety , tohatsu , united kingdom