Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005

bo_dance is on a distinguished road
Hi

I saw on_course & Why_not''s post. I am looking for a female sailing companion for a long term relationship.

I asked a female sailing friend if she knew of a web site where I could look. She said that she had no problem finding male sailing companions. She didn''t know. There in lies the rub.

I''ve been looking for a short while on yahoo. In my unscientific sample only 1% are interested in sailing.

While in the Caribbean I''d see "seeking crew ad''s" that seemed to be written by desperate male sailors seeking female "first mates". I often wondered if they were ever successful.

The women I saw on the docks in Antigua were few and far between. The ones I met were almost always attached. They were usually there because "he wanted to go.." They would often say this, implying by their tone that once they reach shore they''d never go again.

I live in Texas. If you are an anattached female interested in sailing Texas Lakes and seashore drop me a line. sail net at tommy the geek dot com all run together.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2005

sailortonyb1 is on a distinguished road
You have a better chance of being hit by lightning than finding a woman on here, or any dock or marina for that matter. You will have to go the old tried and true traditional route of meeting a woman and then getting her involved in sailing and then have her live your dream also.
I would start out going to a local church singles group and announce to the women that you are what they have been praying for. Now how''s that for a "why not?"
Old 12-21-2005

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I''ve found that most people do not have the same passion that I have for sailing/boating.

Sure they like going for a day sail on a nice sunny day, but when it comes to taking a midnight watch on a cold October night, they change their tune.

Or, if it looks like it might rain a few drops, they would rather not take a chance on getting a little wet.

Its very difficult to find your soul mate that will also be your firstmate. People are different. Thats what makes life interesting.

I was very lucky, my wife loves the water almost as much as I do, and she will take a midnight watch.
Old 12-22-2005

noscreenname is on a distinguished road
My wife is from Peru and she had no sailing experience when I met her. We bought a boat fixed her up and jumped into PHRF racing. She is incredible behind the helm and loves the competition.
Sometimes I''ll be a little hesitant to do some of the bigger races because they tend to be offshore where we dont do as well, but she always insists.
This year she learned how to sail our boat on and off the mooring which is no small feat because were 33'' and the mooring fields tight.
All I can tell you is sometimes you just luck out.
Old 12-24-2005

Tequiza Terri is on a distinguished road
Finding a soul mate who shares a passion for taming the wind is not an easy endeavor. From the moment my fingers touched a tiller and wind filled the sails, my dream has been to sail around the world. It takes a special soul who is willing to throw caution to the wind and follow their dream. Having somone who shares your passion at your side would make the experience complete. There are passionate women sailors out there, I am one of them! In my case, my dream has been postponed until my kids go off to college. In the meantime I am able to build my experience and plan. I recently bought my first boat, she is not my dream boat but she is paid for. I have resolved to cast off solo if I have to...it is my calling in life. In the meantime, if I meet someone ....great, if not, it''s OK too. Just remember, life happens when you''re not looking. Join a sailing club, go to boat shows, attend a Latitudes & Attitudes party. Get to know your local boat store associates, they know everyone. Hang at the yacht club and local marinas. Start fishing in the right ponds! Take a celestial navigation course at an offshore sailing school. I plan to book passage on a transatlantic sailing experience. I am a competent captain and I would make a hell ov''a 1st mate! At 41, I am not a 20 yr old! I wish you were closer to East central Florida, I too could use a sailing buddy. Good luck ...she is out there swimming with the mermaids.
Terri
SV Stitches
1976 28 ft Morgan OI
Old 12-25-2005

alienzdive is on a distinguished road
Lets return to caveman days when you could club them over the head and drag as many as you wanted back to your boat and turn them into slaves!
Old 12-26-2005

SailRN is on a distinguished road
What a wonderful expose. I admire your passion. I also have the same dream. I am going through a divorce as we speak because I can''t let go of my dream. She assured me she liked to sail. Even went on weekend trips before we married 6 years ago. When push came to shove the same dream wasn''t there for her. There wasn''t the passion for the adventure. So a sailin'' I will go alone. Many have done it before me. So I''ll stop my whinning and go in about a year and a half from now. Sure would be nice to have company though. 45 years old and can''t kick the habit. It''s where I find my peace!

S/V Perseverence
1976 Downeaster Cutter
Old 12-27-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Hmm. What a nice thought - - the perfect sailing mate - - she would be, well, perfect, like that girl on "The Fifth Element".

Except then, as the glassy look fades from my eyes and reality settles in, a new picture emerges.

It''s blowing hard and getting dark. The rain is sideways and something below has started thumping heavily in the bilge. The shrieking is from her - not the rigging - and the tightness in my throat is from her trying to choke me while she damns me to hell for bringing her here.

I don''t recognise her. She looks different now than when I plied her with Margaritas and sang Jimmy Buffet in a Tiki Hut.

Her eyes glow in the dark and she uses words I''ve only heard in firefights in Viet Nam. She talks about setting fire to the boat to attract the Coast Guard.

Thank God we''re only crossing the intercoastal near Palm Beach, or this wouldn''t be fun.

We get a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" divorce near the beach, where I litter by tossing her overboard in five feet of water - restricted by draft - oh well.

Ah, love. Ain''t it sweet? Never take anything offshore you may have to throw overboard.

Hawkeye

Old 12-29-2005

noscreenname is on a distinguished road
Im going to play match maker heres a post from somewhere in sailnet
"Since I am having a devil of a time finding a man who actually really sails, I thought I''d try this. 40 y/o smart, pretty, thin divorced female sailor, with no children, seeks 35 to 48 ish experienced sailor to share a life with. If interested, check my ad on Match, username On_Course. Don''t know whether I''ll be flamed for putting this message here, but you never know until you try. If it is imappropriate, my apologies to the board community."

I
Old 01-21-2006

xyz123 is on a distinguished road
Tried finding you on match and you were not there. Are you still looking?