Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005

miyagi is on a distinguished road
certification(s)

I have been sailing for many years on a variety of boats from Opti to my Aloha 27 and crewed on a few bigger boats, even a little offshore experience. I took a intermediate bareboat skipper course recently for fun and to confirm for myself that I am on the right track. I am apparently.

I intend to take some more courses to increase my knowledge and experience etc but there seems to be a few different "Qualifications", Coast Guard captain licenses, ASA offshore course, US Sailing, Yachtmaster training etc etc.

My goal is to be a competent skipper to take myself and my next boat cruising. If I could even make some money skippering for someone else or delivering etc that would be a bonus.....

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
certification(s)

If you are going to ask money to be a skipper for someone else you will need a Coast Guard license, which, from what I understand, is much harder to get than the other certifications you mention. I have an ASA, which has been helpful when chartering in the US, but outside nobody seems to care.

For your own personal cruising I would go with ASA, US sailing, or Power Squadron courses. There is no teacher like short cruises and gradually expanding your horizons. Joining a yacht club with a cruising program is a great way to sail with others who have the experience and you will learn a lot that way.

You have a lot of experience already and are probably better qualified than you realize.
Old 12-05-2005

nolatom will become famous soon enough
certification(s)

Regarding the Coast Guard license, technically you don''t need one for deliveries even if you do get paid (though most delivery skippers have one). It''s the carriage of passengers or freight for hire that requires a license.

The license exam isn''t all that hard if you''ve been sailing awhile, you can study from a class or book, or even read sample questions on line. What is hard is getting and documenting the underway time, it''s about 2 years of 8-hour minimum days if I recall correctly.

So what you need, in addition to a bareboat charter certification or something equivalent, is LOTS of skippering time on the water in all conditions with a variety of boats. Grab every chance to sail you can, and keep a log in case you decide to get a license.

Best of luck and good sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.