Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: New England sailors?

Good luck
Old 02-10-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi3 View Post
Btw, do folks tend to haul their boats there in the winter or leave them in the water?
Most (98%) at my marina (Barrington) haul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think its fair to say that the vast majority haul out for the winter. The Bay never freezes, but the coves where you find many marina do, especially this winter.

I can so hardly rely on marinas for anything, worrying about powering a bubbler would cause me to lose sleep all winter. Some do it, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-10-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

There's a live aboard group in water in Barrington . Most are out. Other thing you may wish to consider is trade of being close to airport v. Airport noise. Advantage of Barrington and Bristol,is no take off noise but is a lousy commute from airport. If you come this way shoot me an pm and forward you info on other v42 owners in the area.

Last edited by outbound; 02-10-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I live on Warwick cove and there are plenty of slips available here. You are 10 minutes from the airport and the ride out of the bay is enjoyable. After all, we are sailing, not pushing to get to a fishing spot.

Look at Harbor light Marina...good amenities for the "out of towner" so you can be comfortable between cruises.

Welcome to Harbor Lights Marina and Country Club

No affiliation as I moor my boat, I just know that they have a nice facility
Old 02-13-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

okapi-
Make sure to ask, and look, carefully if you are anywhere within sight of an airport flight pattern. Jets tend to burn rich on landing and take-off, and that makes a lot of fine black soot, which leaves very dirty topsides on boats. Easy enough to clean, but it can mean a lot more cleaning and waxing to be done, unless you don't mind turning a blind eye.

And of course you're breathing the soot, which apparently is why the EPA banned so many diesel engines from passenger cars in the US for so long. Not good stuff.
DougSabbag likes this.
Old 02-13-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth..... there is a cove off of Logan Airport, in East Boston, called Jeffries Point, which has a Yacht Club called Jeffries Point Yacht Club, and it is a 'General Anchorage', which means you can anchor there for FREE.

You would be within a golf balls' range of that International Airport and have immediate access to open water. And, you would be located in Boston Harbor, which has many attributes.

However, as Hellosailor astutely noted, there would be an issue with soot... :-(
eherlihy likes this.
Old 02-13-2014

okapi3 is on a distinguished road

My current marina, Zahniser's Yachting Center, in Solomons, Maryland, is a beautiful marina. The absolutely only drawback is the Naval air base across the river which does some pretty noisy exercises on a regular basis. So noisy you just have to stop any conversation you are having until the jets pass over. So the airport noise probably won't be too much of a concern. The soot, however, is concerning to me and I will be sure to ask about that before reserving a slip. Gonna close on the boat in a couple days!!!
(BTW, our 1988 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 is for sale (located in Solomons, Md). Have a couple of interested parties but PM me if anyone else is interested).
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 02-14-2014

christyleigh is on a distinguished road

I was at Greenwich Bay Marina for 8 years - 10 years ago(since taken over by Brewers) and the soot was quite noticeable. I have to assume that most others in that area have the same problem. The jets pass almost directly over it. Also the train runs a couple hundred yards away although not quite as loud once you get used to it

I have been in the Wickford Marina for the last 10 years and every winter it is full (only 60 boats) in the water including mine. Very few bother with circulators and the owner even says in his newsletter every year that he will rent you one if you want but basically - don't bother. There has never been a damage problem in the 15+ years of his operation. It's only a marina not a 'boatyard' so he has no interest in creating damage for his profit because he has no repair crew.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 02-14-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

So it's real hard to get away for the plane flying overhead in RI. The state is so small that depending on the wind direction and the flight patterns, you are bound to have to deal with it. There is no getting away from it. Now I am in Bullock Cove, not that far from the airport as the planes fly, 20 minutes by car, and the notion that the planes are making boats dirty is a real possibility I had not considered before now. The black streaking you see on the sides of almost every boat. Light shines over Marblehead!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.