Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014

dennismenace111 is on a distinguished road
Trip Planning Estimated travel time

Hi all... and sorry in advance if this subject has already been discussed... but Im considering bringing a 29 foot sailboat down to Ft. Lauderdale from Oriental NC. I have limits on my time away from my job so the time estimate is crucial...

Does anyone have any ideas of how much time I should allocate for this... This isnt going to be a leisurely, stop and smell the roses trip but more like a delivery...
That "rope", now a "halyard" holds strong, taught and fast.
Then sailing in brisk winds full force on a beat.
The sails are trimmed in by that "rope" that's a "sheet".
And now at my anchorage with sails safely stowed,
I trust in that "rope" that now serves as a "rode".
Through all my life I will never lose hope,
Of a reason or time to play with a rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Trip Planning Estimated travel time

Have you used ActiveCaptain to calculate the distances for the different routes?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Your question has several answers. Assuming you have a displacement hull (that is, you do not have a boat that planes) the theoretical hull speed = 1.34 (sqrt(length of the waterline.)) Note that this is the length of the waterline, not the length of the boat. This is the empirical "maximum speed" through the water. Note that if you have a favorable current you could be achieving more than maximum speed over the ground. On the other hand if you have an unfavorable current you could be going much slower over the ground than through the water. Also note that when traveling at empirical maximum speed any additional force is going to cause the rig to be very unhappy. So unless you have a crew that is trimming for the gusts you would not normally want to plan or travel at empirical hull speed.

OK, so that is the theory. A more useful concept is "average speed of advance." This is an average, over time, of the distance made good by you in your boat over all sorts of conditions. In my planning I use 100 NM per 24 hours. I have had 30 NM days, 150 NM days, etc. but over the long run I average about 100 NM per day. You will only know what it is over time but start at about 75% of your maximum speed. That is a decent guess. Also realize that your style will have an impact. I find a 100 NM per day objective a very comfortable way to sail, I am not going as fast as I could but I like the ride and the fact that I am not trimming all the time.

The average speed of advance falls down for short trips. Lets say I am planning a 5 day offshore transit under sail. That means I intend to go 500 NM. It is very possible that I will get a couple of bad wind days and not make anywhere near my 100 NM plan. If I kept going another 15 or 20 days I would most likely get back to my average but of course I would miss my destination (LOL.) So I never commit to be in a new port on a specific day based on my average speed of advance.

One of the most frequent errors made by new cruisers is they plan to meet someone at a new destination on a specific day based on their estimated speed of advance. Then they get behind because of the weather, start sailing stupid, and break the boat. A far better strategy is to plan to arrive 2 or 3 days before your friends and make sure that they accept the fact that even so you may not be there when they get there.

Fair winds and following seas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 02-10-2014

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

I have made this trip several times. Lots of things play into the total time. Do you plan to anchor out or stay at marinas? Some times you have to stop early or push late to make an anchorage/marina. Time of year/daylight and how long can you stand to be at the helm? Crew or single-handed? Inside on ICW, outside or some of both. Does your boat have enough "emmph" to push thru strong currents? What is your draft? Draft and currents can cause you to have to play the tides and that can cost time.
Basic math is Oriental is MM 180+- and Ft L is MM 1065+-. So on the ICW that is just under 900 SM. ICW is measured in statute miles. Use your average MPH, as you will be motoring most of the time in the ditch, times the # of hrs you want/can to travel per day to get how many days. Then factor in some down days for weather/rest. I use 10%, 1 down day in 10.
Dan S/V Marian Claire

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.