Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 14.63%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 31.71%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 19 46.34%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
lt, there's all sorts of ways to fight city hall. Start with going online, or going to the clerk's office, and check out the exact laws requiring notifications for a town meeting, or whatever they held. Often the law will specify how notice has to be given, and how far in advance, and often someone will not comply 100% with that.

If you get lucky, they didn't comply and they have to throw out the meeting and start over.

Then there's the grant itself, you can also check to see IF they properly complied with the terms for that, the timetable, if there are any technicalities that you can get them DSQ'd for on that.

This is how Dennis Conner winds yacht races: Scrutinize the enemy, and DSQ 'em for any infraction you can find.

Then if you really feel bold, you start a recall campaign against the pols who have started the whole business.

Question everything, because the odds are at least one mistake was made and that's all the ***** you need in their armor.
That's all excellent advice, of course, and represent avenues certainly worth pursuing... Just seems to me, looking at this from afar, some may have waited until a bit late in the game, to begin doing so. After reading the OP, and this thread being the first I'd ever heard of this, I was surprised to learn this whole project was as advanced as it is, and the funding for it already approved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
If you were following a long, the upgrade to the city dock has nothing to do with this discussion. Who don't want the dock spruced up? Thats great for the dock renters and transient boaters.
Well, seeing as the mooring field is but one of the 'improvements' being made to the city waterfront, with 70% of the project's budget consisting of the $100K Federal grant, seems to me it certainly does have something to do with it...

Quote:
The discussion has always been about the unjust, heavy handedness of city and state governments taken rivers and waterways that have for over 200 years, belonged to the "PEOPLE" and whore it out to contractors for profit and campaign contributions.

Progress to the middle class only means that they no longer get to partake in the fun. It means they will be priced out of the lifestyle by the elite.

What ever.
Cheers.
Again, to be clear, I am just as distressed by this sort of proliferation of mooring fields in towns like Beaufort as you are... However, there are a couple of things that are not clear to me:

Are you saying that you will no longer be permitted to anchor in the Beaufort River adjacent to/outside of the confines of the mooring field? If that were the case, this would, indeed, be a BFD for local sailors and cruisers passing through Beaufort. But I have yet to see anything that defines a prohibition on anchoring, could you clarify that for us?

Just curious, what has been your mooring/anchoring arrangement there? Do you have a private mooring, or are you just lying to an anchor(s)? If on a mooring, do you have to pay a fee for a permit from the city?

Help me out here, how is this project going to "price middle class sailors" out of the pastime, exactly? Obviously, the new mooring field will occupy the 'prime anchoring spot' off town, they always do... But if you are still allowed to anchor or moor in the river outside of the mooring field, doesn't it simply mean you might have to travel a greater distance by dinghy to get to your boat? (Not to mention, one of the proposed 'enhancements' to water access includes a small boat launching ramp that could be of benefit to those anchoring in the river) What am I missing, here? I can certainly appreciate this may make sailing more 'inconvenient' for you, but I'm not seeing how this might compel you, or others who have been keeping their boats in that anchorage, to give up sailing or boat ownership completely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

As a full time cruiser I prefer to drop my 122lb anchor on 7 to 1 scope of 7/16 G4 chain but living in Coconut Grove near Miami I have seen the benefits of a city mooring field.

The anchorage outside Dinner Key Marina was full of semi-derelicts that would sink at the rate of one every 8 weeks. The City would spend $50,000 every two years raising and destroying these sunken derelicts. It is still possible to anchor outside the mooring field with a long dinghy trip but the number of semi-derelicts has been reduced by 75%.

The Dinner Key mooring field now attracts lots of cruising boats that spend significant amounts of money in the local business community, previously cruising boats were reluctant to anchor close to the semi-derelicts.

I also take note of every anchor I see on cruising boats and 1-2% have such inadequate anchors that I would not use them for my rubber dinghy!

In places where there are tidal swings in the anchorage I far prefer well maintained moorings, not because of the safety of my anchor but because of the 1-2% who are likely to pull and damage my boat.
Old 02-15-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

x2 on moorings...the issue for me at least is when you are forced to use a mooring and are NOT allowed to anchore even for a short stay

Ill be makiing my mooring down here as its cheaper and more simple thah having to reanchor every weekend after useage...

what I dont like is when people are forced into certain areas deemed appropriate when in reality its almost never so...

many many charted anchorages are in fact just that they are marked and deemed appropriate

thats why cruising guides are so popular they tell you what charts dont

and now with city folk dictating where is good and where you cant it just makes it less desireable as a destination...

again this happens time and time again all over the world

we had this happen in the red sea...we where arriving around 3pm at a "resort town" only to find out anchoring was prohibited and all moorings were used up so we had to head up another 20 miles or so to a known stop

full engine and all sails up beating into wind...
we made it just at sunset...at 630 or so exhausted but EXSTATIC that we made it

jejeje

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
As a full time cruiser I prefer to drop my 122lb anchor on 7 to 1 scope of 7/16 G4 chain but living in Coconut Grove near Miami I have seen the benefits of a city mooring field.

The anchorage outside Dinner Key Marina was full of semi-derelicts that would sink at the rate of one every 8 weeks. The City would spend $50,000 every two years raising and destroying these sunken derelicts. It is still possible to anchor outside the mooring field with a long dinghy trip but the number of semi-derelicts has been reduced by 75%.

The Dinner Key mooring field now attracts lots of cruising boats that spend significant amounts of money in the local business community, previously cruising boats were reluctant to anchor close to the semi-derelicts.

I also take note of every anchor I see on cruising boats and 1-2% have such inadequate anchors that I would not use them for my rubber dinghy!

In places where there are tidal swings in the anchorage I far prefer well maintained moorings, not because of the safety of my anchor but because of the 1-2% who are likely to pull and damage my boat.
Very good points, I agree completely...

St Augustine is one of the better examples of a spot I would not necessarily worry about anchoring on my own, but would be VERY reluctant to anchor among a large fleet of cruising boats, if all were lying to an anchor...

Nantucket can be a very challenging anchorage, as well... I always feel much more secure there, knowing that very few others try to anchor, and choose to lie to the outrageously priced, but very secure, moorings instead... :-)

2 winters ago, I rode out a very strong frontal passage in the anchorage in Boot Key Harbor, one that naturally came thru in the middle of the night... You can be sure I was up most of the night, keeping a very close eye on some of the local boats upwind of me - but all was well, and of course some of those anchors are NEVER coming up out of that bottom... :-)

Old 02-15-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Another consideration is current and tidal range in that area. The current is over 2 knots and the tidal range is 8'. A mooring field will allow more boats into the same area safely. The boats it will attract will be more likely to spend money at local restaurants and shops. A lot of the boats anchored there and in factory creek are an eye sore. Cleaning up the area will make the area more attractive from the water and shore.
Jim
RichH likes this.

Last edited by jimrafford; 02-15-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Another consideration is current and tidal range in that area. The current is over 2 knots and the tidal range is 8'. A mooring field will allow more boats into the same area safely. The boats it will attract will be more likely to spend money at local restaurants and shops. A lot of the boats anchored there and in factory creek are an eye sore. Cleaning up the area will make the area more attractive from the water and shore.
Jim
Completely Agree!
Beaufort has a slue of old rundown boats that trash the waterways. Get rid of them. Bill the owners with the cost, But more importantly hire someone" RICK" a harbormaster be required to identify the boats that drop their hook's within 24 hrs. then when the vessel id left derelict there is a way to contact them and more importantly "BILL" them for forced removal and destruction in the land fill or auction off to the public.
1) I Agree there should be a safe mooring. This mooring should be for the visitors and they should pay.
2) The derelict boats is problem is not the same complaint or problem and should not be sold to the public as the same "its a LIE"
3) No one should have the right to take the ICW waterway and claim rights to make money with is.

Just show me one example of maintenance expenses that is covered by the fees charged in any east coast mooring field. They take the grant money. A contracter stuffs his pockets and the cities are stuck with the annual maintenance fee.
So Me I have to move my mooring $2,000- tackle That Robert dives on at least once a year. And to stay there I have to rent from Rick?
Just not fair for locals that are doing the right thing and have there tackle and boat in good shape. So who makes out ? The Coastal cruiser with money. The local guy like me . Well i'm screwed.

LT
Old 02-15-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

3) No one should have the right to take the ICW waterway and claim rights to make money with is.

Just show me one example of maintenance expenses that is covered by the fees charged in any east coast mooring field.

LT[/QUOTE]
Tell that to the home owners in New London, CT. That went all the way to the supreme court.

The reality is the waterways are federally regulated and the fed issued a permit.

As far as mooring fields, I don't have access to their books but if they were a looser I doubt Block Island, Newport, Cuttyhunk, The Vinvard, Nantucket and every other harbor up the coast to Maine would continue to do it.
Jim
Old 02-15-2014

Quote:
1) I Agree there should be a safe mooring. This mooring should be for the visitors and they should pay.
2) The derelict boats is problem is not the same complaint or problem and should not be sold to the public as the same "its a LIE"
Points 1 and 3 would appear to be contradictory...

Quote:
So Me I have to move my mooring $2,000- tackle That Robert dives on at least once a year. And to stay there I have to rent from Rick?

Just not fair for locals that are doing the right thing and have there tackle and boat in good shape. So who makes out ? The Coastal cruiser with money. The local guy like me . Well i'm screwed.

LT
I'm still wondering, how far distant will you be required to move? Have you been required to have a permit from the city for your mooring?

And, sorry to be blunt, but you're no more "screwed" than most every boatowner without waterfront property or a private dock between New York and Eastport, Maine, to name just one region of the US...
jimrafford likes this.
Old 02-16-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Points 1 and 3 would appear to be contradictory...

I'm still wondering, how far distant will you be required to move?
Have you been required to have a permit from the city for your mooring?[/QUOTE]

If the force me to move a inch It would be an injustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
And, sorry to be blunt, but you're no more "screwed" than most every boat owner without waterfront property or a private dock between New York and Eastport, Maine, to name just one region of the US...

Well maybe you misunderstand my argument. I have keep my yacht at a local Marina for a few years now. I don't mind the cost associated with keeping it there. I know boat owners in the mooring that have a struggle trying to keep up with the escalating cost of boat ownership. I want to be able to drop my hook in any U.S navigable waterway without some money grubbing local city gov, standing there with their hand out looking for a revenue stream.
If you can't wrap your head around my problem with that. Well maybe you have friends on the city council. what ever I'm done with this topic.,
enjoy your weekend.
LT
Old 02-16-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I'm still not buying the derelict boat reasoning.

If you can move the boats that are in the location where they want to build the mooring field, how come they can't move the derelict boats in places they don't want them?

The truth is, that someone thinks they are going to make some money off of this, one way or the other. In the end, that's what it's always about. It's what politics is always about.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.