Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

went to St. Augustine yesterday to see the usage of the mooring fields there.
about 10 in salt run by the lighthouse.
8-10 North of Bridge and 20-25 south of the bridge of Lyons.
Not even half full and that was the most I've seen there.
The area south of the city limit and the rt312 bridge where the people who got pushed out,there was no less than 25 vessels at anchor.
So,did installing mooring fields in the areas adjacent to the city's downtown, marina,and upland facilities eliminate derelict vessels and encourage using pumpouts?
Or did it just push the anchoring bunch further from view and available facilities thereby making it less likely they will utilize the legal avenues available?
the other anchorage area north of the city I did not view, but it is my understanding it is much utilized and publix supermarket has made a free dinghy dock available to boaters.
publix is a bussiness that recognized the economic gain in the dock investment.
I also recognize that there's been legal means available all along to deal with the derelict vessel issues, but they we're not used/applied.
Also, Florida set aside millions for vessel clean up available to municipalities .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
If the force me to move a inch It would be an injustice

I want to be able to drop my hook in any U.S navigable waterway without some money grubbing local city gov, standing there with their hand out looking for a revenue stream.
If you can't wrap your head around my problem with that. Well maybe you have friends on the city council. what ever I'm done with this topic.,
enjoy your weekend.
LT
Well, then I would suggest you cross off your list the marvelous cruising ground of New England, to name just one, of places you might ever wish to explore on a boat :-)

Sorry, but it seems your anger over this issue is overriding all else, you're starting to sound irrational, and contradictory... You've already acknowledged that:

1)" I Agree there should be a safe mooring. This mooring should be for the visitors and they should pay."

And yet, if YOU were to become the "visitor" to any other locale, YOU should be able to anchor anywhere you choose, without any infringement or cost whatsoever?

Seriously?
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

Titusville, Fl. - about 4 boats on the moorings.

About 15-20 boats anchored just outside of the boundry bouy's of the mooring field. Further from the traditional anchorage,dinghy landing and pump out.
Is this addreesing the alleged Derelict boat armagedon ? same boats are there ,just a couple hundred feet south of where they have been anchoring -forever. No less of them.
So, alot of money spent and misinformation spread and propaganda bantied about , but no real change in the alledged "issues" that were the driving force behind getting the mooring fields. And now, how will they be maintained? and for who? few seem to be using them, certainly not being used by the ones it was perported to address, just shuffled them around a little,inconvenienced them and moved them further from the facilities the advocates of these policies supported.
Old 02-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
went to St. Augustine yesterday to see the usage of the mooring fields there.
about 10 in salt run by the lighthouse.
8-10 North of Bridge and 20-25 south of the bridge of Lyons.
Not even half full and that was the most I've seen there.
It's the middle of winter right now, not too many snowbirds choose to spend their winters in St Augustine... Last time I went by there was in December, and the mooring field was surprisingly full, as it usually appears to be during the transient season... Probably not many boats on moorings in Annapolis right now, either, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are under-utilized on an annual basis :-)

Quote:
The area south of the city limit and the rt312 bridge where the people who got pushed out,there was no less than 25 vessels at anchor.
So,did installing mooring fields in the areas adjacent to the city's downtown, marina,and upland facilities eliminate derelict vessels and encourage using pumpouts?
Or did it just push the anchoring bunch further from view and available facilities thereby making it less likely they will utilize the legal avenues available?
i didn't do a count when I last passed by, but that number sounds perhaps just a bit high, to me...

Nevertheless, you're absolutely correct about those boats that have been 'displaced', mooring fields as a solution to the problem of so-called "derelicts" is always the weakest argument in their favor... 'Out of sight, out of mind' seems to be all that really matters, and it's quite obvious that those boats are not availing themselves of pumpout facilities, etc...

Quote:
the other anchorage area north of the city I did not view, but it is my understanding it is much utilized and publix supermarket has made a free dinghy dock available to boaters.
publix is a bussiness that recognized the economic gain in the dock investment.
I almost always go into Cammachee Cove whenever I stop in St Augstine, and in my experience, it is extremely rare to see a single boat anchored in proximity to the Vilano Beach Bridge... There is one large multihull that seems to hang out up off the north end of the Cammachee Cove development, but that's about it...

The new floating dock at Vilano Beach was not installed or paid for by Publix, it would be a couple of centuries before they would have seen a profitable return on that particular investment...:-) The Vilano Beach floating dock adjacent to the Inlet Marina fuel dock is a courtesy dock similar to the one in Beaufort, technically overnight stays are not permitted, but apparently not always enforced @ Vilano...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Even with the mooring fields the Northeast has its' share of quality boats out anchored, this this one in Provincetown that has been there so long that it is surrounded by mooring balls:
Attached Thumbnails
Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor-da-goes-p-town-011.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

I am positive there were at least 25 boats anchored south of the city(one was aground,a motorboat,it was low tide.) as I drove there yesterday with my family in part to see for myself how many boats were anchored and how many mooring balls were empty.
I confirmed exactly what I had seen in the past. low mooring ball occupation and a growing number of boats at anchor south of town.
In the future I will make a point to take photos and also check the north end by vilano as well as the "Holy Hole" and the launch ramp area to look for anchored boats.
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

Daytona has no less than 3-4 vessels anchored just south of the Seabreeze Bridge north of main street bridge across from Carribean Jacks Marina. Showed up shortly after St. Augustine Put in the Mooring fields. Coincidence ? a few have been there a bit longer and are "anchored" in close near the foot of the bridge adjacent to the public launch. There are often a bicycle or two chained up nearby as there ws in St. Augustine yesterday as well.
I'm 3 minutes from the river by bicycle, i cruise by amost every day.
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

there are 5-7 more anchored boats north of Saebreeze bridge stretched out along the river 1/2 way to ormond beach and the rt. 40 bridge they dinghy into the 3-4 waterfront parks and public launch ramps. most of those boats have been there for a few years about half I've seen underway. these are technicaly in Holly Hill where the guy with the 50' houseboat was grounded a year or so ago that got towed and sold.
Old 02-16-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Titusville, Fl. - about 4 boats on the moorings.

About 15-20 boats anchored just outside of the boundry bouy's of the mooring field. Further from the traditional anchorage,dinghy landing and pump out.
Is this addreesing the alleged Derelict boat armagedon ? same boats are there ,just a couple hundred feet south of where they have been anchoring -forever. No less of them.
So, alot of money spent and misinformation spread and propaganda bantied about , but no real change in the alledged "issues" that were the driving force behind getting the mooring fields. And now, how will they be maintained? and for who? few seem to be using them, certainly not being used by the ones it was perported to address, just shuffled them around a little,inconvenienced them and moved them further from the facilities the advocates of these policies supported.
I have never seen many boats on the Titusville moorings. It's good holding in that area, you always lie to the wind and you can anchor just north of the field or east of it on the east side of the ICW, although it shallows up fast there. I noted on a forum that the Titusville moorings did not seem well maintained and someone from the marina responded that the missing ones were down for maintenance. All the liveaboards in Titusville just moved north a few hundred feet. The various jurisdictions might be getting grants for the installation but where will the money for maintenance come from?
night0wl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

Wow, Titusville is already having maintenance issues ?
I guess it won't be as ong as I thought.

In titusville you can get dinghy dockage and water and shower for a fee on a monthly basis. I'm not sure they will come out to pump out but I know the ave pumpout at the municipal.