Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

I think a better approach to anchored vessels would be on the order of how Annapolis approaches anchoring. you get pumped out every couple days and they pay attention to he anchored boats while they are at it.
In Daytona, if you go into the municipal marina and inquire about dinghy dock , there isn't one.
Not sure if they offer paid use of the facilities if your anchored. they didn't in the past.if they offered these services it wouldn't harm the bottom line as they would be charging .and if they offered pumpout from a boat while at anchor I would think it would aleviate that issue. The anchorage across from the north basin in Daytona south of the orange ave bidge is a poor spot IMO I prefer south of Seabreeze as it is a no wake zone and little fetch and close to a public ramp you can walk to the beach.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I think a better approach to anchored vessels would be on the order of how Annapolis approaches anchoring. you get pumped out every couple days and they pay attention to he anchored boats while they are at it.
In Daytona, if you go into the municipal marina and inquire about dinghy dock , there isn't one.
Not sure if they offer paid use of the facilities if your anchored. they didn't in the past.if they offered these services it wouldn't harm the bottom line as they would be charging .and if they offered pumpout from a boat while at anchor I would think it would aleviate that issue. The anchorage across from the north basin in Daytona south of the orange ave bidge is a poor spot IMO I prefer south of Seabreeze as it is a no wake zone and little fetch and close to a public ramp you can walk to the beach.
I think you're missing one very important point... the cost of a municipality to purchase a pump out boat is not insignificant, $50-60K in the example of Tiverton, RI cited below... That is only gonna be justified in a town or harbor which is collecting a significant amount of money from mooring or other usage fees, pumpout boats are only economically feasible in places like Annapolis, Nantucket, Marathon, etc - very busy harbors, hosting LOTS of boats, where the economies of scale make the initial outlay for such a costly piece of equipment viable...

Quote:
"A marine pump-out is the most cost effective way to provide this service," said Cox.

The pump-out boat, which would have charged customers $5 per 30 gallons of waste water, would have operated at a net loss over the 10-year contract necessitated by accepting the grant to pay for the boat. Cox argued the net loss was absorbed by the Harbor Department's revenues.

"To explain to you the importance of this document, you have in your income to the town mooring fees of about $55,000 on operational budget or about $21,000 and in order to retain this income stream, you need an approved harbor management plan."

No Pump-Out Boat For Tiverton - Government - Tiverton-Little Compton, RI Patch
For a community like Daytona to purchase a $50K pumpout boat to service a relative handful of anchored boats - who are paying nothing beyond the cost of each individual pumpout - I think might be a VERY tough sell to the taxpayers of Daytona... If an anchored boat can't make it to a pumpout dock under their own power in such a location, too bad... They should either be gone, or figure out some way to comply with the law...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-16-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

The Daytona Municipal Marina is operated by a corporation and they already have a pumpout boat they use in the Marina. I see ads for the operator job occasionaly. So the Equipment and Manpower is already there and being used,they just won't come out to an anchorage,they could they just don't/won't.
After all we are discussing the merits of a mooring field and the advantages and costs and such.
As well as offering services like shower,water they don't have a dinghy dock and if you o in and say your at anchor and would like to purchase a shower they will not accomidate you,why?
Seems using equipment and manpower and laws already in place and being underutilized would be a no brainer. couple that with an increased awareness of who and what is at anchor and which vessel is incapable of making way and all the merits of he mooring field arguement go away.
They (law enforcement) have taken action to remove several boats that were anchored and unable to make way. No engine,no mast, your out of there. also ,if your boat sinks in the halifax river and you are identified as the last owner of record via the last registration or HIN you will be recieving a visit from the man,
there are already laws in place to address vessel operation on florida waters.
What's more , I think Daytona is missing the boat on all the boat traffic as you don't get the chatter online about Daytona as you do for places like Oriental,Vero,St.Aug. etc. if they fostered a more welcoming atmosphere instead of being known for aggressive FWC/Law enforcement tactics everyone would be better served,local merchants and boaters of all stripe.
Old 02-16-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Daytona Municipal Marina is operated by a corporation and they already have a pumpout boat they use in the Marina. I see ads for the operator job occasionaly. So the Equipment and Manpower is already there and being used,they just won't come out to an anchorage,they could they just don't/won't.
After all we are discussing the merits of a mooring field and the advantages and costs and such.
As well as offering services like shower,water they don't have a dinghy dock and if you o in and say your at anchor and would like to purchase a shower they will not accomidate you,why?
Seems using equipment and manpower and laws already in place and being underutilized would be a no brainer. couple that with an increased awareness of who and what is at anchor and which vessel is incapable of making way and all the merits of he mooring field arguement go away.
They (law enforcement) have taken action to remove several boats that were anchored and unable to make way. No engine,no mast, your out of there. also ,if your boat sinks in the halifax river and you are identified as the last owner of record via the last registration or HIN you will be recieving a visit from the man,
What's more , I think Daytona is missing the boat on all the boat traffic as you don't get the chatter online about Daytona as you do for places like Oriental,Vero,St.Aug. etc. if they fostered a more welcoming atmosphere instead of being known for aggressive FWC/Law enforcement tactics everyone would be better served,local merchants and boaters of all stripe.
Actually Daytona is not a good stop on the Waterway. I only stop there because it's between St. Augustine and Titusville. There's not much there. No laundry, Publix, liquor store convenient to any dink dock. The restaurant in the Halifax Harbor basin seems to be under different management every other year. West Marine is gone. The anchorage is well sheltered, that's about it. And the rowers wake you up early in the morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Why not have these federal grants be for getting pumpout boats?

Better yet, sail-driven pumpout boats, with electric engines.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 02-16-2014
cruising all I can

Vasco, you don't know Daytona well. The public transportation will take you anywhere and have bike racks.
There are places to land a dinghy all over as well as a few of the private marinas. There are several public launches one at the eastern base of the Seabreeze bridge.from there you can walk a block or two towards the beach and find restaurants all along seabreze not to mention A1A all walking distance,to go furthr jump on the bus.
There is laundry at the western foot of the seabreeze bridge near marker 32.
Beach street on the mainland is walking distance from the municipal marina and there are many cafes and rest. there.
I prefer anchoring between seabreeze and Main Street,nice and quiet.
Further to the north of seabreeze bridge you can anchor and land at a public launch and park . directly across the street is Park's Seafood,a bit more swanky and a couple small storefronts convenient type and a bike shop ,and another small store.
That's what I'm saying. Daytona doesn't promote itself to the boating crowd who largely are vacationing and have a disposable income !
I have been thinking about printing a map and informational flyer to distribute to cruisers north and south of Dytona to promote Dytona bussinesses that boaters might want, it would be supported by small ads from the bussinesses listed and I would distribute, but I haven't gotten to it yet. If anyone wants to jump on it go for it.
Old 02-17-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I have never seen many boats on the Titusville moorings. It's good holding in that area, you always lie to the wind and you can anchor just north of the field or east of it on the east side of the ICW, although it shallows up fast there. I noted on a forum that the Titusville moorings did not seem well maintained and someone from the marina responded that the missing ones were down for maintenance. All the liveaboards in Titusville just moved north a few hundred feet. The various jurisdictions might be getting grants for the installation but where will the money for maintenance come from?
You nailed it RIGHT on the head. Once the mooring field is permitted, it doesn't matter WHAT condition the moorings are in...you're not allowed to anchor in its proximity. These cities are putting in mooring fields in popular anchorages *NOT* to attract cruisers, but to keep them away! No one in their right mind will hook up to one of these broken down moorings once they fall apart. Now, the landside dwellers will get their exclusive view of the anchorage...without those pesky cruisers in the way.

This is why mooring fields MUST be fought off...especially in the keys, where they're talking about making Monroe County one big restricted mooring field. Get educated and GET OUT THERE AND FIGHT THEM OFF.
Old 02-17-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vasco, you don't know Daytona well. The public transportation will take you anywhere and have bike racks.
You might be right. I've been just anchoring south of Memorial Bridge and moving on in the morning. Been doing that for many years. Nothing much to attract me to the place. I do like that little anchorage though. I have never really made an effort to get to know the place. Walked miles to a second hand marine store once in 1991. The place doesn't seem to be cruiser friendly. But that could be said for many of the stops on the Waterway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2014
cruising all I can

when I travel by auto I visit places that I have past by or briefly stopped.
I often surprised that the perspective from the land reveals many available services within walking or biking distance from the waterfront. But, for whatever motivation, nobody at the waterfront seems to be forthcoming with any knowledge of.
I often wonder if their is a hidden agenda.
However, it is more likely that they are just not in tune with what a cruises needs /wants are due to their scewed perception of what traveling by boat means to different boaters.
Old 02-17-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Well, that does seem a bit inexplicable, but seems a decision made by a private business... They are under no obligation to provide pumpout service to boats anchored some distance away, of course, perhaps they've simply decided it's not worth the effort?

Same thing with the showers, perhaps? Not completely unreasonable that they might want to reserve them for the use of their tenants? Have you had much success at other marinas buying just a shower, and nothing else? Many places will extend the courtesy if you stop in for fuel (generally helps to be taking several hundred gallons, of course) but I'm not sure how much more common that is along the Ditch, than a Hampton Inn off I-95 selling a shower to anyone just passing by...

I do know that some locales - Beaufort NC Town Docks, for example - are forced to make a continuous effort to prevent unauthorized use of their showers by liveaboards and others in the anchorage. Constantly changing the combination, installation of security cameras, and so on... Other marinas such as Charleston City, or Halifax Harbor, have resorted to the use of weird keys not easily duplicated, etc., due to the apparent 'issues' that can arise with attempted use of their facilities by non-paying customers... Not trying to justify the attitude taken by Halifax Harbor towards the anchored-out riff-raff :-), just suggesting that some of these businesses have grown weary of some of the hassles, and simply might prefer to keep them to a minimum...

Quote:
Agree completely, the derelict problem is largely one of simple lack of enforcement. The authorities lack the political will to get tough, 'out of sight, out of mind' is a far easier 'solution'...

However, such 'evictions' might be often easier said than done... Years ago, down at Ponce Inlet right off the entrance channel to Lighthouse Boatyard, there was a guy who had 2 old wooden motoryachts rafted together, anchored there for years... the boats never moved, it was obvious he was discharging sewage, etc... For YEARS the municipality and the boatyard attempted to get him evicted, even the fact that he was adjacent to the state park seemed to carry little weight, endless court appearances produced no result... Finally, one of the hurricanes about a decade ago settled the issue, once and for all...

Quote:
I've always liked Daytona, though that is one stretch that I'm always desperate to run outside, the ICW between St Augustine and Ponce can be an incredible PITA, where the sail down outside can often be a beauty... I always enjoyed stopping at Daytona Marina & Boatworks, but when I stopped there a couple of months ago after not having been in there for a few years, I was shocked how much that formerly first class facility had deteriorated under their new management, and how low their occupancy seemed to be...

Daytona might be a nice spot for a seasonal liveaboard who never leaves the dock, but its distance from any real cruising ground or opportunity for sailing would seem to prevent it's ever becoming a destination for cruising sailors, who might actually be interested in leaving the dock or anchorage from time to time...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-17-2014 at 09:10 AM.