Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 14.63%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 31.71%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 19 46.34%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
In 10 years you'll be the lobster in the trap everytime you come to port.
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh,let me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
So,I've been checking the charts and inlets. as it looks like I'll be going coastal, who needs the icw? once you've done, it's pretty boring. looking forward to the offshore thing.
After doing NJ inside and out we just go by it now, same for Georgia.
I guess pretty soon I'll just go non-stop,gotta be quicker and less expensive too.
Well, I'm all for running outside whenever possible, and the chance of actually doing some sailing, but I must admit to being a bit perplexed why the installation of a mooring field in a single locale like Beaufort would serve as the motivation - or final straw - for taking the decision to do so :-)

Between the Savannah River and Charleston, for instance, there are dozens of beautiful anchorages to choose from, it's certainly not like Beaufort is your only option... And, we've yet to see any talk of anchoring in the river being restricted beyond the mooring field, or prohibited...

I still think the best way to send a message, is for cruisers to continue stopping in places like Beaufort, but simply refusing to use the moorings, as people appear to be doing in Titusville... I'd love to see next fall's ICW Rally, for instance, make a stop in Beaufort, but have NONE of the boats avail themselves of the moorings, even if it required anchoring at an inconvenient distance from town... Such a demonstration could send a pretty clear message, whereas boats heading up or down outside, really aren't being 'heard from' quite so clearly...

If you are running coastwise past Beaufort, keep the South Edisto River in mind as an alternative... It's a pretty good entrance, the quickest In & Out along that entire coast... I often stop at the Edisto Marina if I need to make a pit stop for fuel around there, or for an overnight stop... Nice little spot off the beaten track, very rare to see another transient boat in there, and the Sunset Grille upstairs is a decent little restaurant...
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-19-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, I'm all for running outside whenever possible, and the chance of actually doing some sailing, but I must admit to being a bit perplexed why the installation of a mooring field in a single locale like Beaufort would serve as the motivation - or final straw - for taking the decision to do so :-)

Between the Savannah River and Charleston, for instance, there are dozens of beautiful anchorages to choose from, it's certainly not like Beaufort is your only option... And, we've yet to see any talk of anchoring in the river being restricted beyond the mooring field, or prohibited...

I still think the best way to send a message, is for cruisers to continue stopping in places like Beaufort, but simply refusing to use the moorings, as people appear to be doing in Titusville... I'd love to see next fall's ICW Rally, for instance, make a stop in Beaufort, but have NONE of the boats avail themselves of the moorings, even if it required anchoring at an inconvenient distance from town... Such a demonstration could send a pretty clear message, whereas boats heading up or down outside, really aren't being 'heard from' quite so clearly...

If you are running coastwise past Beaufort, keep the South Edisto River in mind as an alternative... It's a pretty good entrance, the quickest In & Out along that entire coast... I often stop at the Edisto Marina if I need to make a pit stop for fuel around there, or for an overnight stop... Nice little spot off the beaten track, very rare to see another transient boat in there, and the Sunset Grille upstairs is a decent little restaurant...
No offense...but dont they win if you do that? They get to clear out the anchorage but for anyone willing to part with enough duckets as they want...and you move out of sight, out of mind????

The better thing to do would be to anchor IN their mooring field

On a more serious note, anchor or go to a more receptive town. That way, the businesses shoreside feel the pain rather than just the cruisers that have to go further distances, burn more fuel just to visit this town.
Old 02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
No offense...but dont they win if you do that? They get to clear out the anchorage but for anyone willing to part with enough duckets as they want...and you move out of sight, out of mind????

The better thing to do would be to anchor IN their mooring field

On a more serious note, anchor or go to a more receptive town. That way, the businesses shoreside feel the pain rather than just the cruisers that have to go further distances, burn more fuel just to visit this town.
Perhaps I should have been clearer, I was speaking of anchoring adjacent to the mooring field, as close as possible to the waterfront, so as to make your presence known. Just as many are doing at Titusville. That section of the Beaufort River is not that tight, one definitely has some options, it might largely depend on how strict the enforcement of some defined boundaries might be by the local Sheriff/law enforcement...

20-30 years ago, Beaufort gained a real reputation among powerboaters running the ICW as a classic 'Speed Trap', no matter how slowly one passed thru there, it seemed almost impossible to avoid getting ticketed for throwing what the water cops deemed to be an excessive wake... I was running a lot of sportfishermen for Ocean Yachts back in those days, and if running thru Beaufort, you had to be at dead idle, with one engine out of gear. The word quickly spread, and a real boycott of Beaufort began, lasting for years... Hmmm, what's that about those who refuse to learn from the mistakes of the past? :-)

As far as going to "a more receptive town", well, there aren't many others right on the ICW between Charleston at MM 470, and Fernandina at MM 715. Beaufort and Thunderbolt are pretty much it... Hilton Head can hardly be considered to be very receptive or convenient to cruisers on a budget, and other places like Savannah, Darien, Brunswick, or St Marys all involve considerable side trips off the magenta line...
Old 02-20-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

We deal with the Coconut Grove Mooring field by anchoring outside and having a 0.9 dinghy run.

Some mooring fields have an exclusion zone of hundreds of yards.
Old 02-20-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

I honestly don't understand why so 'up-in-arms' when a municipality decides to put in a mooring field. I mean, no-one thinks it's OK to have squatters on public (or private) land.

Why is it supposed to be different on the water? I'm really, truly curious, and maybe we should have a thread about that separately
Don0190 likes this.
Old 02-20-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
I honestly don't understand why so 'up-in-arms' when a municipality decides to put in a mooring field. I mean, no-one thinks it's OK to have squatters on public (or private) land.

Why is it supposed to be different on the water? I'm really, truly curious, and maybe we should have a thread about that separately
What is the difference than a city squatting in the ICW with their mooring field or a Citizen dropping anchor? Really? You’re not from the south are you? Down here we still think that the country belongs to the people, not the government! That’s the same way we think of the constitution and the rest of the rules good people put into place when this country was being built. We feel it to be strong armed to put limits on freedom, in the name of progress. To us Progress is not restricting access to land that belongs to all of us in the name of a few or for profit. In This case, an outside contractor will have the mooring field under his control well after the Grant money has long been spent. Perhaps people should go to the first of the thread and read the, as Paul Harvey would say “the rest of the story”. I would hope that freedom of travel would not be restricted on the waterways of the U.S. It’s a freedom that is deer to many and slowly being eroded by folks that think “What’s the harm” What’s the big deal” The worst part is they are using abandon / derelict boats as there excuse.
Have a great day.
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
We deal with the Coconut Grove Mooring field by anchoring outside and having a 0.9 dinghy run.

Some mooring fields have an exclusion zone of hundreds of yards.
As of now, sounds like it's 200 feet for Beaufort...

Quote:

The city adopted an ordinance Aug. 13, making it unlawful to anchor or moor within 200 feet of city-owned buoys in the Beaufort River "immediately west of the downtown marina without permission of authorization from the downtown marina operator."

Read more here: Boats must clear out of bend in Beaufort River | Editorials | The Island Packet
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
ltgoshen (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014

delite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
What is the difference than a city squatting in the ICW with their mooring field or a Citizen dropping anchor? Really? You’re not from the south are you? Down here we still think that the country belongs to the people, not the government! That’s the same way we think of the constitution and the rest of the rules good people put into place when this country was being built. We feel it to be strong armed to put limits on freedom, in the name of progress. To us Progress is not restricting access to land that belongs to all of us in the name of a few or for profit. In This case, an outside contractor will have the mooring field under his control well after the Grant money has long been spent. Perhaps people should go to the first of the thread and read the, as Paul Harvey would say “the rest of the story”. I would hope that freedom of travel would not be restricted on the waterways of the U.S. It’s a freedom that is deer to many and slowly being eroded by folks that think “What’s the harm” What’s the big deal” The worst part is they are using abandon / derelict boats as there excuse.
Have a great day.
Most people realize compromises are often necessary to balance competing uses and make the best use of public resources for everyone. I cant see cant how adding a mooring field has any effect on your ability to travel the waterway. Your ability to do exactly as you want has not been effected by this at all. Everything I have found online suggests you can still drop anchor nearby if not in the mooring field.

As usual its a case of a few spoiling it for the many. Derelict boats are a problem just about everywhere. Perhaps your outrage, for lack of a better word, should be directed at the irresponsible boat owners who created so many problems that the city felt something had to be done.
We all pay for irresponsible boat owners whether it be higher fees, equipment rules, limiting access or outright bans. Sounds like this is another example of the irresponsible ruining it for others. Irresponsible owners typically fall into 1 of 3 categories: Ignorant, Arrogant or Financially strapped.

At least one report claims The mooring field and electrical upgrade project received endorsements from the Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce, Beaufort Sail & Power Squadron and local boaters. Sour grapes?
RichH, Don0190 and Multihullgirl like this.
Old 02-20-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

ltgoshen, I'm not only from the South, I'm a Daughter of the Confederacy, my 3d Great-Grandfather fought for States' Rights.

Nevertheless, I see no difference between someone squatting in a public park and a derelict boat owner squatting on a public waterway. If you care to stick to the question, I'm still looking for an answer to 'what is the difference?'

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 02-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.