Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

The key word there...is properly sized, installed and inspected!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I hung on a claw and chain and a Danforth and chain each #40-45 for three days in Chesapeake basin during Sandy.
I'm pleased with my ground takle.
was I "squatting "? We were there for 5-6 days total.
Old 02-20-2014

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I have good anchoring gear with an oversized Manson Supreme and 350' of chain. But I don't feel it will ever be more secure than a properly sized, installed, and inspected mooring. My boat has ridden storms at its' mooring where my boat took the whole system with a 5,000 pound mooring block for a ride, but the boat didn't go far. I don't believe my anchor would have been better.
I've seen a boat on a mooring ball in Put-N-Bay, OH go drifting after the ring on the mooring ball broke in half. So it probably depends on how well they are maintained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
The key word there...is properly sized, installed and inspected!!
Of course, but if you are going to start down this road as an excuse for a mooring owned by either a marinia or City where there are requirements for inspections and chain replacements then you now are just on a fear of The Man rant.

On the other side of the question is the size and condition of ground tackle on the unknown low cost cruiser anchored in front you during a blow.
Old 02-20-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

The best thing is to hold boaters responsible for their boats. Governments do best at summons and ticketing. They have historically failed at fixing civil problems.
Again we still need to divide this thread into 2 sections. one for derelict vessels and the other is Government mandated mooring fields threw waterway confrontation.

Last edited by ltgoshen; 02-21-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

the pro-mooring advocates cannot justify the mooring fields unless they first blur the topic with talk of the big bad derelict vessel and msd smoke screen.
the choice to use anchor or mooring should remain a choice.
if mooring fields are to be installed, why can't the mooring fields be put where the anchorage isn't?
why must the best or most desirable anchoring locations always be where the moorings need to be?
The Following User Says Thank You to joethecobbler For This Useful Post:
ltgoshen (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

could say the same they about every new public building, library, park, road etc.
Old 02-20-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

So the only difference between these types of squatting, for that's what it is, is that one is land-based and one water-based?

If you have a nice, fancy, high-dollar, well-kept camper rig and park it in a public park, you'll get run out in short order. So take your nice camper rig and spend a bit and go to a state or national park campground. It's a nominal fee, and limited duration, and it's public land. I'm assuming that, based on the lack of complaint, everyone is OK with that.

So maybe if you view the mooring fields in the same light, you get my take on it. I'm damned if I can see any difference.

It's a public waterway, moorings installed and controlled by a public entity, for a nominal fee, with limited duration. Just like a state or national park campground.

In any case, one never sees commercial boats (fishermen or the like) just randomly anchoring, as cruisers do. Would the commercial boats be asked to leave the anchorage, or do they just not want to anchor for free?
Old 02-20-2014

delite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
the pro-mooring advocates cannot justify the mooring fields unless they first blur the topic with talk of the big bad derelict vessel and msd smoke screen.
the choice to use anchor or mooring should remain a choice.
if mooring fields are to be installed, why can't the mooring fields be put where the anchorage isn't?
why must the best or most desirable anchoring locations always be where the moorings need to be?
Really? Moorings are typically paid for. Why would you expect someone to pay good money to be in the location you dont want for free?
Old 02-20-2014

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
So the only difference between these types of squatting, for that's what it is, is that one is land-based and one water-based?

If you have a nice, fancy, high-dollar, well-kept camper rig and park it in a public park, you'll get run out in short order. So take your nice camper rig and spend a bit and go to a state or national park campground. It's a nominal fee, and limited duration, and it's public land. I'm assuming that, based on the lack of complaint, everyone is OK with that.

So maybe if you view the mooring fields in the same light, you get my take on it. I'm damned if I can see any difference.

It's a public waterway, moorings installed and controlled by a public entity, for a nominal fee, with limited duration. Just like a state or national park campground.

In any case, one never sees commercial boats (fishermen or the like) just randomly anchoring, as cruisers do. Would the commercial boats be asked to leave the anchorage, or do they just not want to anchor for free?
I can see your point for long term users, but what about the transients?
Should somebody that just wants to rest as they make their way down the ICW be required to pay for every night that they stop?
If that is the case, then what about public rest stops where truckers are allowed to park their rigs while they rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to remetau For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-20-2014)