Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
I can see your point for long term users, but what about the transients?
Should somebody that just wants to rest as they make their way down the ICW be required to pay for every night that they stop?
If that is the case, then what about public rest stops where truckers are allowed to park their rigs while they rest.

finally, an analogy, and a good one. Rest stops. Yes, and something of the like should probably be considered in addition to the longer-term moorings, that seems fair to me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
I can see your point for long term users, but what about the transients?
Should somebody that just wants to rest as they make their way down the ICW be required to pay for every night that they stop?
If that is the case, then what about public rest stops where truckers are allowed to park their rigs while they rest.
Well, over the 1065 statute mile length of the ICW between Norfolk and Ft Lauderdale, these are the mooring fields comparable to the Beaufort proposal that come to mind, off the top of my head:

Carolina Beach - Mile 295
Beaufort - Mile 535
Fernandina Beach - Mile 715
St Augustine - Mile 775
Titusville - Mile 880
Vero Beach - Mile 950
Lauderdale, Las Olas - Mile 1065

I may have overlooked something, and I'm unclear about the current status of a place like Georgetown, SC - seems there are some moorings in there, whether they're private or not seems unclear. I do know Georgetown has long had an issue with derelict boats, seems just a matter of time before the town does something to address it:

Quote:

We had looked for possible places to anchor along the way, but decided to press on and anchored at 557pm amongst the many derelict boats either anchored to tied up to mooring balls in Georgetown harbor. It’s really too bad that Georgetown doesn’t do something about these derelict boats, as it makes it less welcoming to visit. Phil mentioned that’s how St. Augustine FL use to look until they changed things. Yes I know that you need to pick up a mooring ball now, but it is much nicer now too. What do you think?

Passage and Stay in Georgetown, SC | Changesgoingsouth
With the exception of Vero and Las Olas, it's possible to anchor adjacent to the mooring field (In Lauderdale, one can anchor in Lake Sylvia about 1/2 mile to the south)

So, I think we're probably still a ways off from people plowing down the Ditch "having to pay for every night that they stop"... :-)

The variety and sheer number of anchorages along the ICW is truly remarkable... From the remoteness of the bottom of the Alligator River, where you'll likely be unable to get a cellphone signal...

... to the bright lights of Miami Beach, where you'll be afforded free municipal wifi while surrounded by the multimillion dollar homes of the Rich & Famous, the ICW is still littered with scores of free anchorages where you'll be permitted to linger for as long as any real 'Cruiser' might be inclined to...

bigdogandy and Multihullgirl like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

you're an optimist jonE
Old 02-20-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
you're an optimist jonE
As long as you don't involve an SUV style dink or davits with a ton of stuff on them!

I actually like his style of cruising, you know using sails! ;-)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
you're an optimist jonE
Well, if that were the case, I suppose I would hope that I might live long enough to see the day where it would not be possible for for me to sail up or down the East coast without having to pay to stop at night...

But I'm more of a realist, and I seriously doubt I will live long enough to see such a time... :-)
Old 02-20-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
So the only difference between these types of squatting, for that's what it is, is that one is land-based and one water-based?

If you have a nice, fancy, high-dollar, well-kept camper rig and park it in a public park, you'll get run out in short order. So take your nice camper rig and spend a bit and go to a state or national park campground. It's a nominal fee, and limited duration, and it's public land. I'm assuming that, based on the lack of complaint, everyone is OK with that.

So maybe if you view the mooring fields in the same light, you get my take on it. I'm damned if I can see any difference.

It's a public waterway, moorings installed and controlled by a public entity, for a nominal fee, with limited duration. Just like a state or national park campground.

In any case, one never sees commercial boats (fishermen or the like) just randomly anchoring, as cruisers do. Would the commercial boats be asked to leave the anchorage, or do they just not want to anchor for free?
Yes, and those campgrounds are often run by private companies to manage the campground. I see little difference here.
Old 02-21-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

So, here we have 180+ posts about a teeny harbor in a very nice southern town that has a marina with space for 50 boats at long-dock slips (@$1.80/ft), a harbor that has low density anchoring crowding out the harbor, and a proposed paltry 30 moorings to make the density of boats not at slips more efficient.
We've discussed the rights of the proletariate, the absolute unabridged greed of capitalism and cronyism of the municipal government, the "tyranny of the commons", and the thuggery of water cops with radar guns vs. boaters (ending in ~2009).

On the otherside of the alternative universe, Beaufort SC is a wonderful town, filled with extremely polite and friendly people (for the most part) ... unlike some places to the 'north', the folks in Beaufort will look you in the eye and sincerely wish you Good Morning, etc.; has some very good 'down home' restaurants and shops, etc.; is 'safe'; and is welcoming; plus, the cost of a night's tie up is quite reasonable.
I suggest you actually stop off at Beaufort for a day or two before you complain about something that in total effect may simply be 'trivial'.

More moorings, .... I say great!!!! Maybe I can pick one up when the municipal marina is at full capacity. I havent seen a water cop-thug looking for easy bust money / 'wakes' from transient boater prey-species since 2009 ... although its a physical impossibility to NOT have a wake when moving 'anything' through the water at ANY speed above ZERO; and as I did one time very carefully explain to the local justice of the peace, who fully agreed with me.

If on the AICW - Beaufort, SC ... not to be missed, even if you have to anchor behind Ladies Island and 'dinghy yourself' to town.

;-)
jimrafford likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 02-21-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
So the only difference between these types of squatting, for that's what it is, is that one is land-based and one water-based?

If you have a nice, fancy, high-dollar, well-kept camper rig and park it in a public park, you'll get run out in short order. So take your nice camper rig and spend a bit and go to a state or national park campground. It's a nominal fee, and limited duration, and it's public land. I'm assuming that, based on the lack of complaint, everyone is OK with that.

So maybe if you view the mooring fields in the same light, you get my take on it. I'm damned if I can see any difference.

It's a public waterway, moorings installed and controlled by a public entity, for a nominal fee, with limited duration. Just like a state or national park campground.

In any case, one never sees commercial boats (fishermen or the like) just randomly anchoring, as cruisers do. Would the commercial boats be asked to leave the anchorage, or do they just not want to anchor for free?
One big difference is we don't have a huge body of federal law, called camperly law (i.e. Admiralty Law) that governs a large body of legal issues on waterways and is a superseding authority in the issues where it does apply.

Cities, counties and states are not immune. We had the state attempt to build a 75 foot fixed bridge down here, after Katrina, and were successfully sued in Admiralty court by a boat builder whose completed boats would have been hindered in navigation under the bridge. The mayors of the two towns on either side, and the head of the state Department of Transportation, all basically were quoted in various news media as saying they didn't believe the lawsuit was going to be won by the boatbuilder.

But they were wrong. They were enjoined in federal court from building the bridge at that height. That bridge now has 95 feet of clearance.

The moral of the story being, there is a difference when it's navigable waters, local governments will attempt to violate that law (or any other law) if they feel it is in their best interest to do so, and boaters do have some rights in those areas that can't be infringed (but only if, they are willing to fight for those rights).
joethecobbler likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-21-2014 at 07:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
So, here we have 180+ posts about a teeny harbor in a very nice southern town that has a marina with space for 50 boats at long-dock slips (@$1.80/ft), a harbor that has low density anchoring crowding out the harbor, and a proposed 30 moorings to make the density of boats not at slips more efficient.
We've discussed the rights of the proletariate, the absolute unabridged greed of capitalism and cronyism of the municipal government, the tyranny of the commons, and the thuggery of water cops with radar guns vs. boaters (ending in ~2009).

On the otherside of the alternative universe, Beaufort SC is a wonderful town, filled with extremely polite and friendly people (for the most part) ... unlike some places to the 'north', the folks in Beaufort will look you in the eye and sincerely wish you Good Morning, etc.; has some very good 'down home' restaurants and shops, etc.; is 'safe'; and is welcoming; plus, the cost of night's tie up is quite reasonable.
I suggest you actually stop off at Beaufort for a day or two before you complain about something that in total effect may simply be 'trivial'.

More moorings, .... I say great!!!! Maybe I can pick one up when the municipal marina is at full capacity. I havent seen a water cop-thug looking for easy bust money / 'wakes' from transient boater prey-species since 2009 ... although its a physical impossibility to NOT have a wake when moving 'anything' through the water at ANY speed above ZERO; and as I did one time very carefully explain to the local justice of the peace, who fully agreed with me.

If on the AICW - Beaufort, SC ... not to be missed, even if you have to anchor behind Ladies Island and 'dinghy yourself' to town.

;-)
Good post, Rich... As I've said previously, I very rarely wind up stopping in Beaufort, but it has always been a pleasure doing so, it's a very nice town...

I'd recommend to anyone doing so, make a stop in Hemingway's Bistro, a very cruiser-friendly hangout... Not certain if they're still doing it, but they used to have a great Thanksgiving dinner for any snowbirds who happened to wind up in Beaufort for Turkey Day...

Herringways Bistro

Introduce yourself to the proprietor, Andina Foster, who also is the inventor of the original Battery Combiner, and runs the marine electrical business Yandina Marine Electronics... No vendor in the marine industry stands behind their products better than Yandina, wonderful people to deal with, and their website is a great source of information and advice, their 'Projects' page is well worth a look for any Do-It-Yourselfer...

Yandina Marine Electronics

I've never done it, but one spot I'd be tempted to anchor off Beaufort is in that slue that bisects the large marsh south of town, across the channel from the marina... I passed thru there once with a trawler at high tide, it's a bit shoal at the top end, but there's plenty of water thru the rest of it, and you'd be by yourself and out of the river traffic in there, and closer to town than being over in Factory Creek - which I suspect is gonna become a pretty tight/crowded anchorage once the mooring field is in place....

I still think there will be plenty of room on the outside of the bend in the river to the west of the mooring field, but the spot I'm referring to is right near the bottom of the image below, directly underneath the "Surfaced Ramp" notation...

Old 02-21-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Thanks Group9. I now see where the laws differ.

In our instance (mooring fields) it would take a pretty good lawyer to argue that navigation is impeded as in the example of the OS/BLX bridge. That is to say, in a historic anchorage whereat navigation was really already impeded, yes? And of course Trinity could afford good lawyers. I've not yet seen anything come out of the Trinity yard which challenges anything near that bridge height only a couple of gin palaces, ha ha

It appears, ltgoshen, that Group9 has offered your answer. Got lawyer?

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 02-21-2014 at 08:25 AM.