Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

ha ha, I guess my point was more to say that even if there's some derelicts in your anchorage there, the Condo Commandos have far uglier things to see when they look out the window. You're luckier to be lower to the water so those high-dollar homes on the little isles there will obscure your view of the 'industrial' port things

The last time we passed through, we had a north wind so we could anchor between Fisher Island and Virginia Key. One of my best Miami anchorage experiences: quiet (we were by ourselves); and a great shot of the night skyline. I have to agree, Miami's night skyline is the prettiest I've seen.

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 02-24-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post

The last time we passed through, we had a north wind so we could anchor between Fisher Island and Virginia Key. One of my best Miami anchorage experiences: quiet (we were by ourselves); and a great shot of the night skyline. I have to agree, Miami's night skyline is the prettiest I've seen.
Just curious, how long did you linger off Fisher Island? I've had a look in there, but never stayed, but it would definitely be the most convenient if you just wanted to pop into Government Cut for the night... The downside of that location, of course, is convenient shore access...

Yours is a fine looking boat, so I would imagine the folks at Fisher Island would 'tolerate' your presence there for at least a while... that guy whose boat burned up the other day however, with dogs that were barking incessantly, well... I would imagine the powers that be at Fisher Island would soon find a way to 'encourage' him to move on... :-)

Old 02-25-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Just curious, how long did you linger off Fisher Island? I've had a look in there, but never stayed, but it would definitely be the most convenient if you just wanted to pop into Government Cut for the night... The downside of that location, of course, is convenient shore access...

Yours is a fine looking boat, so I would imagine the folks at Fisher Island would 'tolerate' your presence there for at least a while... that guy whose boat burned up the other day however, with dogs that were barking incessantly, well... I would imagine the powers that be at Fisher Island would soon find a way to 'encourage' him to move on... :-)

Knowing first hand, how protective Fisher Island is of it's residents, even from law enforcement (it was difficult, to say the very least, to try and investigate anyone living there), and knowing who some of the people who live there are, I would not expect them to let any boat linger long without someone approaching them to find out who they were.

One of the weird things about south Florida (and there are many weird things about south Florida ), are the quasi-police forces a lot of the smaller, super wealthy, towns, and even private subdivisions got away with running down there. Most would actively work against us and are not really police the way we traditionally think of them.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-25-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

We just overnighted. We were just about where in your picture, in the lower right corner, the seagrass ends as you move from lower right to upper right of the picture. We were arguably closer to Virginia Key. There is, though, an enclosed area if you were to continue along out of the photograph right and top. A little embayment at Virginia Key, apparently there used to be a bar there or something. The satellite pics show boats anchored up in there. We found the spot we were in via ActiveCaptain, and yes, we popped in there late after a sunset entry to Government Cut. Elsewhere here at SN I've put up a picture of the sunrise we saw anchored here.

This anchorage, as I'm sure y'all know, it is open from what I would think is the typical fetch in the area (southeast) so I wouldn't think anyone in their right mind would want to anchor there unless the conditions were just so. I should think that, and the lack of access, would limit anchoring as much as po-po from Fisher Island