Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 14.63%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 31.71%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 19 46.34%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yeah, but it's not because of the inherent cost of cruising getting higher. It's because of the inherent characteristic of government to always get bigger and more expensive.
One goverment does it they all do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The only places I have been in the Bahamas where moorings had been put down, for the obvious reason of just making money, are the hurricane holes in George Town and in some of the harbors in the Abacos. Warderick Wells I kind of understand, it is a marine park. But, the last time I was in the Bahamas, the entire time I was there, I hooked to one mooring, for one night, and that was in Warderick Wells. And, I could have easily moved a little farther away and not done it, and been just as happy.

The designated mooring field phenomena is moving incrementally right now, but it is moving, and not in the right direction.

A worse thing in the Bahamas, has been the practice over the last few years, to sell islands off to millionaires and billionaires, who then fence the things off, and even try to claim the water near them (you would think they would have learned their lesson from Norman's Cay and Carlos Ledher with that one).

The moorings that the Park put in at Shroud Cay about four years ago is a prime example of a money grab. The bottom is all sand, no heads, no reefs to protect. The Park put a bunch of moorings (about 20) in the prime spot in the Shroud anchorage and they are usually empty. They are not maintained and only a newbie would actually use one (as is the case of most moorings in the Exumas and some other islands in the Bahamas). And as a money grab I think they're a losing proposition if you figure the installation cost and the meager return but the cost is probably covered by some grant.

Although many of us deplore the new mooring fields on the Waterway they are loved by many new cruisers who have no anchoring skills. They would rather swing on a mooring of unknown reliability than use their own ground tackle. They see the moorings as a cheap alternative to marinas. Most of these cruisers last a year or two but there's always a new bunch ready to take their place.
joethecobbler and Group9 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
And yet, Vero has become one of the most popular cruiser hangouts in all of Florida - they don't call it "Velcro Beach" for nuthin', after all...

Go figure...
I've been cruising since 1990 and there were moorings in Vero then. They were $5 a night. I think they're up to $14 a night now. The staff are very cruiser friendly, free wifi, and there's a free bus service at Vero. As for rafting most don't mind. You meet new friends. And the moorings are maintained and the field is very sheltered..

Also Vero has become a cruiser's retirement colony. Many cruisers who have given it up live there. We have friends who've retired there and they keep up with the cruisers passing through.

There's a good fuel dock, no fenders or lines needed. Good showers. Good mail drop. And quite a few marine services if you need something.

OK. That's the commercial for Vero. But it's not all good, it can get a bit buggy at times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

give it ten years and when the moorings start failing and the economics of installing and maintenance comes to view and the underuse becomes undeniable.
then maybe we'll see them go away.
I believe that there is no example of a financially self sustaining mooring field, even the most popular are cash loosers.
Old 02-13-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
a little soap and paint, she'll be good.
Veronica is popular with some. but so are all the other popular places, long before many of the current laws.
I think the old days and ways are gone.
regulated out of existence. and if any of the old mentality exists, they are not long and not replaced. it's a changed world.
whether better or worse is merely perspective and opinion.
time to change tack, batten down and reef early.
it's a bold neutered world.
Well The state needs to do somthing about that like keeping track of anchored vessels in there waterways, So when this happens they can address the porblem. Crusiers should not pay for that photo. I aspire to be a crusier and This is how my boat is kept. So again with this new post Reagan lib's. take the money from the wrong place and throw it at a problem that it will never fix. Where did they learn this math? Just saylin

This is the Mooring field in Beaufort where I found this derelic boat 3 years ago.

Old 02-13-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

Although many of us deplore the new mooring fields on the Waterway they are loved by many new cruisers who have no anchoring skills. They would rather swing on a mooring of unknown reliability than use their own ground tackle. They see the moorings as a cheap alternative to marinas. Most of these cruisers last a year or two but there's always a new bunch ready to take their place.
EXACTLY...

I hope some will keep that in mind, next time the discussion arises about the need for the 'Sailing industry' to better promote sailing, attract new people to sailing and get more folks out cruising, how we all benefit from keeping the sport 'vibrant', blah, blah, blah... :-)
Old 02-13-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Pure rubbish....this has nothing to do with Reagan or libs or even a cash grab

People in the Southeast have had it easy for a while, Cruise north from the LI Sound to Maine and youll find most of the prime anchorage areas have mooring fields in them by the townies and people who live in the coastal cities.

Their purpose is not necessarily to make money, but is a group of moorings for people who live their to get the "prime spots"

I dont think the Beufort mooring are necessarily there to make money,

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Well The state needs to do somthing about that like keeping track of anchored vessels in there waterways, So when this happens they can address the porblem. Crusiers should not pay for that photo. I aspire to be a crusier and This is how my boat is kept. So again with this new post Reagan lib's. take the money from the wrong place and throw it at a problem that it will never fix. Where did they learn this math? Just saylin

This is the Mooring field in Beaufort where I found this derelic boat 3 years ago.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
give it ten years and when the moorings start failing and the economics of installing and maintenance comes to view and the underuse becomes undeniable.
then maybe we'll see them go away.
I believe that there is no example of a financially self sustaining mooring field, even the most popular are cash loosers.
A lot of these grants have no provision for maintenance of the facilities the local governments are paid to build. It's a continuing problem where I live. We were flooded with easy money for cities and counties to buy stuff after Katrina. But, a lot of it is falling apart because like person who buys a nicer yacht than they can afford, using grandma's inheritance, they can't afford to keep them up.

I bet the same thing happens on the mooring balls. As the lines get old and break, and mooring balls float off, no one will replace them. Because, there will be no funding budgeted for it.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-13-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just a hunch, but I would guess that a look at the books of the mooring operations in places like Annapolis, Newport, Nantucket, Northeast Harbor, et al, might indicate a fairly profitable venture to be in operation...
Old 02-13-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Just a hunch, but I would guess that a look at the books of the mooring operations in places like Annapolis, Newport, Nantucket, Northeast Harbor, et al, might indicate a fairly profitable venture to be in operation...
maybe they would, I'd love to know if any are even paying for themselves.
I think that will or could be an interesting question when Florida completes the five year mooring field program.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.