Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Boatpoker, quiet down. You;ll ruin it for those that know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014

This is what happens when you cruise the canal.

sinking Erie Canal | tugster: a waterblog
Old 02-13-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Boatpoker, quiet down. You;ll ruin it for those that know.
I get that..... but ..... How long can the state keep supporting that if people don't use it.
Old 02-13-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My absolute favourite cruising ground. We spent all of last August in there for the $100 pass. Free docking at dozens of small towns, free wifi, some free laundry facilities, free power, free water some amazing small town museums, the wineries on the Finger Lakes, car racing at Watkins Glen, bridge tenders, harbour masters and lock tenders who actually want and welcome cruisers.

Take a look at these photos Cruising the NY State Canal System, of hundreds of yards of empty dock walls. We often docked by ourselves or only one or two other boats.
Agreed, although it's not really much of a "cruising ground" for sailors... :-) I've always loved doing the Canal, though it's certainly much better done in a powerboat...

However, I think the Trent-Severn Waterway is even a bit more interesting, certainly offering a bit more variety and opportunity for more off-channel exploration...

One of the inland waterways that can be done with the mast up, that I've found to have a feel closest to that of the NYS Barge Canals and upstate NY in general, is New Brunswick's St John River system... Just a delightful cruising ground, with some surprisingly good opportunities for sailing...

Old 02-13-2014

GEEZ Jon, Why don't you tell eveyone??

There will be mooring fields everywhere!
Old 02-13-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

lt, since you live there...I understand the first major brick you can throw at the town is to ask if they have conducted an environmental impact study. If they haven't, you bring suit and force them to do so. That may cost them a year immediately, and then there's no reason to move boats since no moorings can be sunk for another year.

When they do the study, get it thrown out and redone, because there's bound to be something they omitted. Meanwhile...get the local Boy Scouts to start getting signatures on a petition. Easy enough once the downtown merchants get reminded that fewer boats means fewer dollars.

There are ways to fight city hall.

Derelict boats? There are also ways to find owners, not all the time but most of the time, and nail 'em with the bills. Even easier when the town fathers ID the boats and owners when they first come in. That can be done a number of ways, the same way road cops find ways to stop and check motor vehicles on land.

Just takes a little planning, and that's something most politicians, like most voters, are simply incapable of doing.

All this talk kinda reminds me of the late 1820's, when they started saying that grazing livestock on the Boston Common was too dirty and disruptive. And sure enough, don't you know, in 1833 those prigs changed the law and made it totally illegal to graze livestock on the Common any more! Hey, we'd been grazing sheep there for over 120 years in my family alone! Talk about screwing with public rights and interests....

Last edited by hellosailor; 02-13-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

you can sail the finger lakes and lake Ontario and Erie,Champlain. and the seasonal slip rates ar e right.never had any marina even mention insurance. no anchoring issues. no midnight boardings and the live aboard issue,isn't.
If it didn't freeze it would be perfect.
Old 02-13-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
lt, since you live there...I understand the first major brick you can throw at the town is to ask if they have conducted an environmental impact study. If they haven't, you bring suit and force them to do so. That may cost them a year immediately, and then there's no reason to move boats since no moorings can be sunk for another year.

When they do the study, get it thrown out and redone, because there's bound to be something they omitted. Meanwhile...get the local Boy Scouts to start getting signatures on a petition. Easy enough once the downtown merchants get reminded that fewer boats means fewer dollars.
Now that might be an Idea.
There has only been only 1 meeting where the public was invited. I was told that the folks that don't move their boats by the end of the week will be fined 1,000. a day.Now the lion share of the boat owners in that field cant pay $1,000 a day fine any more than they can move their boats. My boat came from that derelict field three years ago.
I was blessed to find an owner that needed to sell and I got a great boat.

The rest of the boats left behind need to be auctioned off and required to be move by the new owner. the rest go to the dump. After the field is cleared, Rick the harbor master should do a better job of registering boats that pull in and drop tackle. If someone in the past would have been doing there job this collection of boats would have been a lot smaller of a group.

I Still have my storm tackle there and will go on Saturday and remove it.
I have two QCR 45Lb pounders with 50' foot of chain. I have a new storm spot, where I will reset it. What gets me here, is not making people clean their mess up with regards to old boats. Its the fact that the Government half hazardly throws my tax money dollars at a mooring field that is not the problem, while driving boating guest from this fine city away. At the same time some contractor pockets the grant money again leaving the taxpayer "Me" to cover the maintenance for years to come knowing damn well the moorings will not pay for themselves.
I just don't like cronyism in local government or anywhere for that matter. Someones pocket will be filled in this BS, and cruisers and taxpayers will suck
it up.

I will try this environmental impact study if I can make it to the next meeting in time.
Thanks for the Idea.
LT
Old 02-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
you can sail the finger lakes and lake Ontario and Erie,Champlain. and the seasonal slip rates ar e right.never had any marina even mention insurance. no anchoring issues. no midnight boardings and the live aboard issue,isn't.
If it didn't freeze it would be perfect.
That's similar to what I say about the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but I add, "Thank God we have hurricanes or the Yankees would have come in and run us out by now".
joethecobbler likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-13-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Well, since the $100K Federal grant has ALREADY been awarded, and The U.S. Department of Interior, Fish and Wildlife Services is the federal funding agency for this Boating Infrastructure Grant, it would seem pretty unlikely that the necessary environmental impact study was not already conducted long ago...

Beaufort to upgrade downtown Marina with $100,000 grant - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports