Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Who agrees, City maintained mooring fields are better than no oversight?
Agree City forced and maintained 6 15.00%
Disagree Open to freely anchor at will. 13 32.50%
State should address the real problem. Abandoned boats 18 45.00%
City owned mooring field and privately run by contract 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

The city will be Installing 16 professionally-managed moorings for transient boats in a 300 year old mooring field in the Beaufort River. The new moorings will replace the approximately 12 randomly placed anchoring and also will involve removal of what they call, dilapidated boats, which will "improve water quality" they say. This mooring field that has belonged to local citizens for over 300 years will be confiscated by the city as a means of revenue. Visiting sailors cruisers and yachtsmen of all type, will no longer be able to visit the city of Beaufort from the water without paying for a mooring. In years past as many as 500 to 1000 visitors come to the fine city of Beaufort South Carolina. They come for the charm of a small seaside village and the simplicity. They come because its quaint and has that non-commercial touristy cost feel of days gone by. they don't want to come were there are high cost usually associated with most waterside cities like Hilton head, Daytona, and Panama City Beach. They clam “This grant will help make our marina, and downtown Beaufort, a better choice for boaters as they travel the Intracoastal Waterway. If you have been following the new rules down in Florida then you will know how the boating community really feels about having to pay for city mandated "for your own good" improvements that the end user have to pay for.. The want an option to use your equipment and pay your fees, not a mandate. Us, sailors and cruisers are a tight-knit community and word spreads fast about marinas with good, or bad, service. It, like the parking meters in the downtown area of Beaufort, will show the City its mistakes by nickel and dime-ing the public to the point of going elsewhere, all in the name of profit generation. Great job guys. For the rest of you reading this, If you want to save the city from the hands of capitalist revenue mongers. Now is the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

I'm sorry to hear that. I had a nice vacation in Beaufort once. We rented one of the cabins in Hunting Island State Park and then made day trips around the area. Beautiful scenery and very friendly people.

I remember our first night, we had driven all day and were exhausted. We stopped at some little joint right by the entrance to the state park. We were famished and thirsty, but the kitchen was closed! The manager said "Oh, I can round you up a little something though." And that little something turned out to be a fish stew with fish his buddy caught that morning, salads, fresh bread, and I think some pie. He told us stories about the area while we drank and ate. That's hospitality!
Old 02-12-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Yep, sounds like they are reading deeply into Florida's playbook.
Sorry to hear that.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-12-2014

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I am a strong advocate of achoring rights; however, there are complex considerations. I used to enjoy anchoring in St. Augustine in the 1970's and '80's, but by the '90's I quit visiting as we cruised by because of the crowded high risk anchorage with dragging derelict boats. After the mooring field was developed I began returning to and enjoying St. Augustine. I'll agree that Beaufort, SC is not as crowded as St. Augustine just before the mooring field, but that is limited space near the dinghy landing for transient cruisers. When we anchor in Beaufort, now, we normally travel down to the cut between the two marshy shoals to the south and enter here from the south and there's also a lot of anchoring space further to the west toward the red marker. I assume that Beaufort's 16 moorings would take the best places that are closest to the dinghy dock. Some of us full time cruisers might find this worthwhile. For those that are not on the hook in one place for months at a time, there's little chance to come in an find a spot. I know that I had lost access to St. Augustine for many years because of the glut of derelict boats that never cruised and I've seen a number of these in Beaufort for many years.

So, there's my "devil's advocate" statement. Now, should the city make the mooring field larger than the need to accomodate an expected use by transient cruisers? Absolutely not! Any more moorings than needed to allow some transients to find a space is wrong! If the moorings are used for the purpose of blocking free anchoring it's an injustice! I don't think that there is a demand for more than eight to ten transient moorings. The town could consider fewer moorings with a limit of a three or four day low cost stay.
xort, mgmhead, blowinstink and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainForce For This Useful Post:
xort (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

There used to be a restaurant just up the path from the marina that sold a "Bourbon Burger" ... beef marinated in bourbon with a bourbon/molasses sauce - heaven on earth ! In 2006 we went two days out of our way to get another bourbon burger ... no longer on the menu ! We haven't gone back since.

Back to the point. The entire Intra-Coastal Waterway is disappearing very quickly in fact we now call it the Intra-Condo Waterway. Enjoy what's left of it while you can.
Group9 likes this.
Old 02-12-2014

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

There will still be sufficient anchorage space on the Beaufort River, it will just be a bit longer dinghy ride. Having said that, Factory Creek has always been our preferred anchorage for decades. It is much closer to groceries, hardware, pharmacy and supplies. It's only a short walk across the bridge to downtown. Lady's Island Marina on Factory Creek is a great place with better protection and cheaper rates than downtown and they are very friendly to boats anchored out. Chuck
jimrafford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-12-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

The problem is, that once the condo commandos get the mooring field idea in their head, in a particular place, we boaters are doomed.

They can go to the well over and over again, no matter how many times they lose, until they get what they want. Once they get the mooring fields in a location, it will be impossible to get rid of them, through.

And, with so many cities and counties going broke, it just makes it an easier sale for them.
Dfok and christian.hess like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-12-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

its all over the world...well manyparts...doing the same thing

a hotel plops up and they wont let you anchor...condos worse...morring balls are astronomical even nearby etc...

its all $$$ politics so enjoy while you can

down here the same soon they will charge 50 to anchor just like they charge $5 at therestaurant to park every day...even if you eat there etc...

its idiots with no sense of tourism that are in control so you get abuses of power...

bummer about south carolina...

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
ltgoshen (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

They tried that here in Washington in eagle harbor didn't work was in violation of the state department of natural resources and revised codes which are the state laws the best they were able to do was limit the anchoring out free to three days then you either go five miles or pay for their mooring for three days then move on min of five miles it did help to get rid of derelict vessels there were in the neighborhood of twenty that were deemed unsafe by the coastguard a couple off those were sailboats that had had their lead ballast removed by someone years before check into your local states laws the DNR usually has control of intertidal zones

Old 02-12-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
...derelict vessels there were in the neighborhood of twenty that were deemed unsafe by the coastguard a couple off those were sailboats that had had their lead ballast removed by someone years before
Wait, what? I realize this doesn't really relate to the thread, but people take the lead keel off a boat, then re-float it?!?