SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   I'm Sick Of Bird Poo (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/122609-im-sick-bird-poo.html)

White Knight 02-12-2014 03:28 PM

I'm Sick Of Bird Poo

Seagulls have recently decided to camp on my boat on a daily (nightly) basis leaving behind poo and regurgitated food for me to clean up the next day.I have a similar problem with swallows when they migrate to New Zealand over our summer.What is everyones favourite bird deterent that actually work,maybe 100% is a big ask but neatly there would help.Thanks in advance.
Chris-LFH Leaboard Ketch Tern-NZ

capta 02-12-2014 03:33 PM

Re: I'm Sick Of Bird Poo

There is an electronic bird repellent that I know for a fact works, but it's a bit pricey. If you are in a marina, perhaps they would install a few or a few owners could get together if you are on a mooring.
They are designed for airports and again, they do work.

Group9 02-12-2014 03:42 PM

Maybe our sea gulls are wimps. But, once I put up this bad boy on the piling by my boat, I quit having any problems with bird crap.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50100...69882&pid=15.1

Bradhamlet 02-12-2014 04:06 PM

The kido and I went to WM for that owl and they only had a hawk. So we went with it and it does work. We get cormorants, the great blue heron, (really beautiful bird) and gulls, it repeals them well. Ever once in a while we get the fly by droppings but they are not parking on the deck any more. Note we hang it from the end of the boom so it swings in the breeze to appear life like.

Brad
Lancer 36

Barquito 02-12-2014 05:17 PM

Others do such things as hanging old cd/dvd discs from the rigging. This was more popular when we all got 3-4 mailed every week with some advertising. Maybe a pet cat?

outbound 02-12-2014 05:33 PM

50-100lb fishing line ~4-6" above spreaders. Pull halyards away from mast- hopefully in all directions. If you make it hard for birds to land and especially take off they seem to stay a way. Currently have two wind generators. They are very quite but they seem to help with bird issue as well. Worse poo is cormorants- hate them.

ReefMagnet 02-12-2014 05:46 PM

My problems are the rotten sods sheltering in the cockpit behind the bimini.

I've used CD's with some success. Haven't tried a plastic bird but tried a rubber snake and the birds just pooped all over it. There is a humming twine that can be purchased at great expense that is supposed to scare birds away. I've brought some but haven't tried it yet; It looks and feels like used liquid paper roll on tape.

For ultimate protection one time when all the birds in the area had decided that my boat was THE hangout, I had to cover everything in netting to keep them off. I used elastic netting normally used for covering trailers. Didn't last too long in the sunlight, but by that time the birds had moved on to other boats.

stagman 02-12-2014 05:49 PM

A BB gun from your local sporting goods store should do the trick

zeehag 02-12-2014 05:51 PM

get a feline. no bird poo on my boat..even with bubba on leash, err, tethered.....

benesailor 02-12-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

50-100lb fishing line ~4-6" above spreaders. Pull halyards away from mast- hopefully in all directions. If you make it hard for birds to land and especially take off they seem to stay a way. Currently have two wind generators. They are very quite but they seem to help with bird issue as well. Worse poo is cormorants- hate them.
Like this idea. I have swallows bad. The marina finally has decided to address the issue.

I see a lot of cormarants on the break walls in the last 2 years; can't wait for these nasty buggers to hop on the boat.
To bad NYS arrested the fisherman that shot the last bunch
Shoot-out at Little Galloo | Science | Smithsonian