Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Lake Ontario vs Lake Michigan

As I said in another topic, I am considering a move to Lake Ontario. It would seem to me that Ontario, being smaller, would also be smoother. I know on Mich we often have to battle a steep chop. With 300 miles of fetch out of the NE, and a relatively shallow bottom, we can get some very steep 8 footers, which are tough to beat into. I have heard the sailing on Mich is comparable to the Gulf Stream.

Also, can one get from Ontario to New York City harbor for a shot down to Bermuda? And another also, can one get to the great circle - down thru Tenn. and to Mobile, AL?

Moving to L Ontario would give me the opportunity to live minutes from my boat ( now it is 70 minutes away).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2005

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
Lake Ontario vs Lake Michigan

Living close to the boat would be a plus. It''s the best way to go. Living far away sucks.

Sorry for the news but having lived near Ontario I can tell you the eastern shore can be quite wild. I have seen 25 ft breakers crash ashore in heavy weather. The shallow depth kicks up some real weather from time to time. Ontario is every bit the danger as Michigan. The only lake that really has much of a difference is Superior -it''s very dangerous and the cold water deadly. Clearly the most serious of the great lakes. The Great Lakes deserve all the respect of a great ocean - even the smaller ones.

From Ontario you can get to Albany via the NYS Barge Canal entering at Oswego or Buffalo. You''ll need to step the mast to get there (21 ft clearence) howvever there can be assitance at both ends as it is done quite a bit. Very pretty trip! The great circle can be accessed via Chicago so you can''t really get there without going back though the other lakes.
Old 03-02-2006

Allan C&C Less is on a distinguished road
Cool Ahoy from Ontario!

I second that notion!!!!!! I have sailed the great Lakes and spent months on the caribbean and gues what?????
Ask me where I encountered the worst weather.....................answer..Lake Ontario at least so far!
Remember so can encounter a terrible storm anywhere. I'm sure when I head to Antigua next time I see worse sea!!!!!
Shiver me timbers!!!
Allan
Old 03-03-2006

The Regatta Queen is on a distinguished road
Tee hee!!! Like have fun!!!
Old 03-06-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Irwin:

Lake Ontario is known for it's steep chop when the wind picks up but I expect it's more noticeable in the east end given the prevailng winds. I believe Lake Ontario is of a somewhat comparable depth to Lake Michigan.
Old 03-06-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Have you planned your route?

Through Erie and the Welland or Georgian Bay and the Trent?
Old 03-16-2008

Catsailor07 is on a distinguished road
Erie Canal to Erie

I'm planning on a transit to Georgian Bay and wondering if exiting at Oswego, puting the mast up and doing the Welland Canal would be better than sticking with the Eire Canal to Buffalo?

John
Old 03-16-2008

BreakingWind2 is on a distinguished road
Having done the Welland Canal in a sailboat, I will chime in.
Remember, as a pleasure craft, you are low man on the totem pole on when you get to be locked through, the freighters take priority.
We arrived at the Port Colborne (top of the canal) at 7:00 in the morning and called to let them know we would like to come through. We were told to go have a loooooooooong breakfast because there were several freighters due in. He told us it would be about 1:00 pm before we would likely start. Turned out to be about 3:15 before we started. But, because the freighters were still in the lock system, we had to keep waiting for them to clear the locks. We finally came out the bottom end at 1:30 in the morning!
Another thing to remember is, if you are heading up the lock system (from Ontario to Erie) you are required to have 3 persons on board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2008

Catsailor07 is on a distinguished road
Welland Canal

Thanks Dave,

How did you find the actual locking conditions? Did you use fender boards? I 'm going to be doing it in a 6,500lb 30' cat with a 13'-6" beam and also wondering what your boat weighs.

Cheers,

John
Old 03-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
John-

What catamaran do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailor07 View Post
Thanks Dave,

How did you find the actual locking conditions? Did you use fender boards? I 'm going to be doing it in a 6,500lb 30' cat with a 13'-6" beam and also wondering what your boat weighs.

Cheers,

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.