Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006

faithab is on a distinguished road
Transporting a boat

We are considering buying a Fredom 35 and transporting here 1,355 miles. Anyone know what it would cost to de mast a carbon fiber mast with little rigging, load it onto a boat, haul it and then recommission? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Transporting a boat

It would help to know from where to where, and when. Transporting boats on board a ship ship is usually only done transoceanic, and 1,355 miles would be a bit short for that, generally.
Old 02-02-2006

awayocean is on a distinguished road
Transporting a boat

Delivery Captain here.Call me if you need help.

www.oceandeliveries.com
Old 02-08-2006

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road
Transporting a boat

yeah I just got estimates.. do a google search on boat transport companies.

to trainsport an ericson 27 from ruskin to port covington md where i now live was estmatedt at $2900 with about $500 at each end to drop and take the mast down/up.
you have both the travlift fee on each end..

If you want a ballpark figure keep about $4/foot back an dthat will more than adequately cover your bill.

my hauler for my IC34 has estimated realisticaly to bring down from michigan for me. about $275/foot before any yard fees for the prep work on each end etc.

you and freinds can drop and raise the mast.. but if anything happens there is NO recourse.. you still will have travlift fees..

tell me why have you not bothered to check with boat transport companies.. or idd you want others to do the work for you????/
Old 02-18-2006

faithab is on a distinguished road
Izabella, We figured that, rather than reinventing the wheel, we would ask the experts. Surely someone had done the same trip recently and could give us a ballpark idea of THEIR costs. We wanted to figure it into the offer we were making on a boat. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-18-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Transportation estimates

Faith,

If you want the advice of experts, I suggest you call the following:
http://www.brownellsystems.com/ because, well, they are in fact experts.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Make sure the company you deal with gets all the permits up front and that they are a lisc and insured boat hauler. The web has sights where you can get quotes from several companies to go from South Florida to New Mexico was $7400. New Mexico you say well ya its a big lake but forget it. At the other end I had to have a crane do the lift and that was another $1200 so see the problem can grow when you pull the mast and truck the boat. also some trailers use pads that press aginst the hull and can wharp the glass because the weight of the boat is on the pads. also they taped my boat cabinet doors and lockers shut and the glue from the tape stayed behind when she was shipped from Michigan to Florida still shows in some places. Where does the boat have to be moved to. Allot of people deliver boats I do another man here says he does if it can be sailed you might want that to be done it is a good thing as you can meet the captain on some leg of the trip and even get in a little time on the boat.a fair price is $200 per day thats a captain and a mate also you pay dockage ,fuel and food and plane fare home for the crew. figure around a hundred miles a day if the crew is pushing a little so do the math maybe $3000. The boat will be on a good shake down and be ready to sail when you get her back. The captain should be very mechinical or forget it hire someone else.
Old 02-22-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
P.S. Any one can buy a Captain Lisc that don't mean squat if they don't have real sea time. Allot of the schools have the students go to a marina and get numbers off boats and record them as boats they have sailed. BS sailors I hate Captains Lisc most are earned by some book not sea time. I'll give you a dime for that piece of paper and I'll give you a grand if you can sail into the harbor with no motor and not put her on the rocks.
Old 02-22-2006

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel!
Old 12-16-2006

U686932 is on a distinguished road
Yes, there are some bad delivery folks out there. There are even more owners who should read and train more, just buying a boat does not make you capable. You need to do the homework, get recommendations, which is what you are doing here! Very smart.

I am looking for a special boat, and have gotten quotes for shipment from several companies, be aware that the price and insurance and experience and loading unloading fees are all different, it is a real pain in the but to get an accurate number -