SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Amazing Homebuilt Sailboat

7K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Nice!

Here is another example of an out-of-this-world HOMEBUILT steel sailboat;

S/V Restless

Bob Kingsland is/was a member here, and sometimes shares his perspective on the project.

#5 ·
RESTLESS is the most impressive homebuilt project I've ever seen, no question...

Guess you haven't heard, but Bob sadly passed away a couple of years ago... He lived to see the completion of his project, but never got to do much with her after her launch...

Robert C. Kingsland Obituary: View Robert Kingsland's Obituary by The Cohasset Mariner

I believe that aluminum project has been posted here before... Amazing craftsmanship, to be sure... However, if one was building a dream boat from scratch, and had complete control over everything that went into it, why would one choose a freakin' VOLVO as your powerplant? :))

Hate to nitpick such extraordinary work, but the use of PVC pipe for that hookup to the engine is a really bad idea...

#9 ·
That has been posted here before, but it's worth another look, great work. The Restless project is/was more mind boggling yet. Take the time to look at that, too. The level of detail and finish is absolutely astounding. So sad the builder wasn't able to enjoy it afterwards.

Jon, any idea where she (Restless) is now?

#11 ·
Holy cow! That is amazing. A tremendous amount of work and money. I thought the same thing about the PVC (and the choice of the Volvo! :) ), thanks for clarifying.

When I think of "all" the work I've done and have (want) to do on my boat, then I think of these guys.. I got nothing on them. Nothing. Not even in the same area code.

And they end up with a beautiful and strong looking boat as well. I hope they are enjoying it.

#13 ·
Another of the more remarkable projects I've ever seen, that I know some here will recall, was Glenn Ashmore's cold-molded 45-footer RUTU... His attention to detail, the level of craftsmanship, simply off the charts...

Unfortunately, his website seems to have disappeared a couple of years ago, that can't be a good sign... Anyone have any recent info on Glenn, he always seemed to me to be a wonderful gentleman...

#17 ·
Very, very nice. I wish I had the patience and skill to do a project like that.
I hope they have a wonderful retirement on that beauty. I hope she anchors next to us one day soon. I'd love to make their acquaintance and see their creation first hand.
Thanks for the post.

#19 ·
Most projects like this either never get finished or are sold for pennies on the dollar as "80% finished" projects that turn into abominations. In awe of their skill and perseverance. Hope they have many, many years on her.

#24 ·
there is also an very remarkable homebuilt i know from germany...
the boat is a bit smaller and built in wood and carbon but nevertheless very impressive:
BAUPHASEN-LOG
the page is in german with lots of text but if go through the "bauphasen log" you will find lots of images like this one:

just look at this gorgeous sink in carbon and the way he made it:

#25 ·
AMAZING COINCIDENCE!
Just two days ago I looked through the pictures on the link and posted how I'd love to see this boat first hand.
Well, we pulled into Deshaies, Guadeloupe and dropped the anchor right beside Voyager 10-10 this evening! What a nice boat.
A bit of cockpit to cockpit communication and we learned they were soon off for Panama, Hawaii and Alaska. Sounds like fun.
It is indeed a small blue marble we live on.

Reactions: Faster
#26 ·
Capta.. has the bare aluminum oxidized to a uniform look, as opposed to the 'new' grinder streaks?

#27 ·
I get to crawl around a different boat almost every day. I have been impressed three times in about 3000 boats. All three were home built like this handcrafted launch that took 21yrs and over $1,000,000.

There are some truly talented, driven individuals around us.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.