Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Headset intercom vox

I think this may be a bad idea, but my wife just suggested we get headsets to be able to speak with each other between the helm and bow. We've always successfully used hand signals, there is no way to actually hear each other, especially with wind.

Not a huge problem expect those occasional times when you have the boat hook in one hand, the mooring line in another and a good wind or current is going to pull the bow away before you route the line around the pulpit, through the chock and to the cleat.

She would like to just say to pull it forward a bit, when she is on the bow. (I have seen her get flustered and toss the boat hook overboard) I'm concerned that, from time to time, one of us may use a tone that is left better to hand signals.

Anyway, I really don't like the walkie talkie setups, with a cable to a headset. What a contraption for such a minor need.

Is anyone aware of a self contained headset, with no wires to a separate radio? I might consider it, but still think this could be a bad idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Headset intercom vox

My Team Talks bluetooth headsets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Marriage Saver headsets by Cruising Solutions.

Working fantastic for us with over 2 years full time cruising. One of our best purchases.
Old 02-17-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think this may be a bad idea, but my wife just suggested we get headsets to be able to speak with each other between the helm and bow. We've always successfully used hand signals, there is no way to actually hear each other, especially with wind.

Not a huge problem expect those occasional times when you have the boat hook in one hand, the mooring line in another and a good wind or current is going to pull the bow away before you route the line around the pulpit, through the chock and to the cleat.

She would like to just say to pull it forward a bit, when she is on the bow. (I have seen her get flustered and toss the boat hook overboard) I'm concerned that, from time to time, one of us may use a tone that is left better to hand signals.

Anyway, I really don't like the walkie talkie setups, with a cable to a headset. What a contraption for such a minor need.

Is anyone aware of a self contained headset, with no wires to a separate radio? I might consider it, but still think this could be a bad idea.
My (much) better half and I have been using "Marriage Saver" wireless headsets from "Cruising Solutions" for many years and find them most useful. In our case, I explain planned maneuvers in advance and then have her at the helm as it makes no sense to me to have a woman attempting to wrestle with a mooring line/chain/anchor while her boyfriend/husband stands at the helm issuing instructions but completely unable to see what's really going on. In our case we "dry run" the maneuver with me standing next to her at the helm and then I go forward and we repeat. I can easily tell her what she needs do (speed-up, slow, come right/left etc.) which she is quite capable of doing while I do the heavy work. We also use this method when coming into our slip and it works well and is 99% of the time without excitement (just do everything slowly). Our headsets were quite inexpensive, around $60 USD. I imagine they are more costly now but remain a good investment.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 02-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2014

alturia is on a distinguished road

I'll add my vote for the Marriage Saver from Cruising Solutions. We've used them when anchoring and retrieving the anchor for the last 6 or 7 years and they are great! They are so inexpensive that we carry a spare pair.
Old 02-17-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Marriage Saver headsets by Cruising Solutions.

Working fantastic for us with over 2 years full time cruising. One of our best purchases.
Haha, oh you were serious! At first I thought that was a joke hhahaha! That is rich.. Cool though!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Mini, you know your supposed to reverse the rolls. You on the bow, she drives.

Sometimes it's hard to talk the significant other into this, once you convince her, it works wonders.

That said, this transition was easier for moorings and anchor, than approaching a dock. Took a lot more "taukin" to convince her of that one, and sometimes in a tight spot, she still says no.

Hand signals have become so sophisticated, I think at this point I can tell her what bottle of wine to open when we get settled from the bow without saying a word
Old 02-17-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We have been using headsets for over 10 years. We got the idea originally while trying to pick up mooring balls in the BVI. We are now devoted users of them. We also started using them for setting the chute while just the two of us are on the boat, works extremely well for that also.

Although we moved on from the bulky "Marriage Savers" to very cool low profile Sena BlueTooth headsets. The original Marriage Savers were huge. The downside of the new technology ones are the cost, $$$$. BlueTooth works incredibly well, crisp as if you are standing right next to each other. Really top notch. Sena product were originally built for motorcycles so we never have wind noise issues. Zero RF interference issues which can be an issue with Marriage Savers.

LOVE THESE!!!! (these also come with two boom mics, we prefer a very tiny boom mic option)

Last edited by kellysails; 02-17-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2014

momclarissa is on a distinguished road

I think the ones we have are the marriage savers. Whatever they are they definitely make life more agreeable for us when we're working opposite ends of the boat. When we don't use them, I have the worst time hearing the Capt and it goes all downhill from there. Best Christmas present he ever gave me.
Old 02-17-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

BTW, the Marriage Savers and Sena solutions are full duplex solutions, no VOX issues to deal with. VOX would be a nightmare in the wind.