Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006

razorseal is on a distinguished road
question about bimini island...

so when I get there, I probably wont dock, instead I will anchor somewhere and use the dinghy to get ashore, is that allowed there? or must I dock? also there is a customs checkpoint in bimini, but when I leave the island, there is no checkpoint for US correct? I just got back on my dinghy, go to my sail, and sail off back home to my slip?

just wanted to clear it before I left...

i''m asking because I''m not a us citizen (turkish) and i''m here on a student visa... if I have to enter through customs I have to fill out buncha paperwork, and have the school sign a paper and everything... but I dont think there is a US customs thing in bimini, especially if I go into the island with a dinghy lol

thx!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road

Your best bet is to contact U.S. Customs & Immigration. It''s likely that if you attempt to return to the U.S. without heading directly to a customs dock, they will find out and deport you shortly thereafter. This could involve confiscating the boat, too. Or they may find out after a while (a month? a year? that you left the US and re-entered illegally, and deport you then, after putting you in jail for a while. Better to get the correct info in writing from them directly. Well-meaning people on a website can be very wrong. You don''t want to find that out the hard way.
Old 01-22-2006

xyz1234 is on a distinguished road

No no no... you will get your passport stamped in the bahamas...if you ever get your passport checked after returning to the united states they will obviously see that you never re-entered the u.s legally.. you will be lucky if you only get deported.. you need to check into customs and immigration on the u.s side.. as far as customs is concerned your boat is a foreign yacht.. much paper for you to fill out.. immigration will be not problem
Old 01-29-2006

lawnboy is on a distinguished road

A few years ago, the Bahamian customs or port of entry was at Cat Cay, just South of Bimini. Maybe that situation has changed since I was there. And there was no need for a passport, some reciprocity with USA. Maybe that has changed too. Technically, I believe you are supposed to check in with US customs upon your return to USA. I didn''t but that was my decision, choice. There is a fairly strong tidal current running North-South East of the docks at Bimini. I found the best anchorage to be off the East shore of Gun Cay, between Cat Cay and Bimini.....Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2006

gc is on a distinguished road
Not cheap

Remember that visiting the Bahamas is not cheap anymore. Quoting from the www.waterwaynet.org site:

Latest News On Bahamian Cruising Fees (12/09/2003) - According to Noonsite.com, the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism recently released the following information:
"The Bahamas has given due consideration to the concerns of the boating community and has decided, as an interim measure, that, with effect from December 1, 2003, the current Fees of $150 for boats up to 35 feet in length and $300 for boats over 35 feet, shall be valid for two entries during any 90 day period"

"In the long-term, The Bahamas Government is considering an annual fee structure and will continue the dialogue with both the domestic and international boating community to determine how such a policy can best be implemented"

According to the Noonsight article, the intent is to allow an additional entry into the Bahamas at no charge as long as it occurs within 90 days of the original issue of the Cruising Permit.