Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road
More-efficient (2X current) Solar Cells Being Developed

Is it time to move away from silicon-based solar? | Ars Technica
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: More-efficient (2X current) Solar Cells Being Developed

ok, that is very very clever. Especially the way they are using multiple U shaped lenses to trap the photons until they can be absorbed.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Neat article, thanks. Worth paying extra attention to the final paragraph:

Quote:
Lots of great sounding technologies never make it past the demonstration phase, or they get caught up in market forces beyond their developers' control. But in this case, market forces are clearly working in the devices' favor. As installation costs become an ever larger fraction of the total cost of a solar installation, it's clear that getting more out of each installation is likely to be critical.
Some of that is true, some less obviously so. The start-up Solyndra was working on broad-spectrum PV concentrators very like this; it became a political football when it crashed and burned. Market forces in that case: rapidly dropping per-watt cost of conventional PV -- mostly from China, which made no secret it was willing to dump for the sake of cornering the global RE market. It's hard to capitalize or sell more efficient technologies when the price of extant tech is dropping 10% a year. Just buy twice as many panels at $0.85 a watt, right?

So new tech, better tech, often requires niche buyers until it is ready for prime time. That's normally spelled military or aerospace programs, where performance is all, weight matters, and cost is no object. You are launching a $20 billion comm satellite with limited collecting surface and paying by the pound, GA solar panels are very intriguing.

As it happens, sailboats are similarly short on mounting space, so we could benefit from higher efficiencies. But truth be told, makers of conventional PV have done really well packing more transistors into a given square inch; my panels are ten years old and rated at half the output of new panels of equal dimensions. Without recourse to exotic tech, manufacturers have already doubled the efficiency (measured as power/area) of PV in a decade, while cutting the cost per watt by 60%. I expect they still have some room for improvement on both fronts, meaning new tech like thin film GA will continue to struggle for funding and market share: as long as old tech keeps improving and the price keeps coming down, the fat middle of the bell curve will be content to buy a few extra panels, achieve the same results, and pocket the savings.
Bene505 and manatee like this.
Old 02-20-2014

I was thinking of the limited real estate on boats & satellites, where you may not have room for an extra couple of panels, regardless of their efficiency or price. What will really send the fecal matter into the air impeller is when inexpensive room-temperature superconductors hit the market. You'll see efficiencies go through the roof. With a little tinkering you'll be able to power your whole boat with a square meter of pv panel.

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,

Last edited by manatee; 02-20-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: change "semiconductor" to "superconductor" - thanks, meteuz
Old 02-20-2014

meteuz is on a distinguished road

I don't understand what you mean by inexpensive room-temperature semiconductors. We have them. They did revolutionize our life, starting with the transistor radio going all the way to the personal computer. But that was many moons ago. Did you mean superconductors? It would be cool to have a superconductor electric motor, but I don't think resistive electric losses that you would be eliminating are large enough to call this a revolution, so your best bet is probably still on improved battery or fuel cell technology.

Last edited by meteuz; 02-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
I don't understand what you mean by inexpensive room-temperature semiconductors. We have them. They did revolutionize our life, starting with the transistor radio going all the way to the personal computer. But that was many moons ago. Did you mean superconductors? It would be cool to have a superconductor electric motor, but I don't think resistive electric losses that you would be eliminating are large enough to call this a revolution, so your best bet is probably still on improved battery or fuel cell technology.
You're right -- pardon my senior moment. Edited the post.

I'm thinking more of the revolution in power supplies & power transmission we'll see. The oil companies will not like it at all. A single thunderstorm could power a city for a year.

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 02-20-2014
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Heh. When someone figures out how to incorporate PV films into laminate sail construction, we're golden. Might even convince people to hoist their sails once in awhile....

It is vaguely annoying to look at my solar array, with its eight 135W monocrystallines, & know the same sized panels bought today would rate 250W and cost $100 less per. It's Moore's Law in slow motion. That's one reason we will wait until quite late in the refit to buy PV: let power densities keep climbing, cost/watt keep dropping, and maybe have a better selection of thin film products to choose from for a couple locations. Still don't forsee fitting more than about 200W total on the Ballad, tho. Good for only 1kWh/day, but then we don't have refrigeration, so that might be enough.
Old 02-22-2014

HighTyde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
You're right -- pardon my senior moment. Edited the post.

I'm thinking more of the revolution in power supplies & power transmission we'll see. The oil companies will not like it at all. A single thunderstorm could power a city for a year.
I'd love to see cheap(er) and cleaner ways of producing electricity. But it's not just making it, it's also storing it. How would you store a years worth of power from the thunderstorm?
Also, what technology is getting the power from the storm? Is is from the lightning?
I'm not too worried about the oil companies. I think they'll have plenty of business for long time. I don't see economical transportation alternatives for all our transportation needs for a long time, unless there are batteries I'm unaware of. I've seen some cool ideas, but the odds are long I think.
Old 02-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTyde View Post
I'd love to see cheap(er) and cleaner ways of producing electricity. But it's not just making it, it's also storing it. How would you store a years worth of power from the thunderstorm?
Also, what technology is getting the power from the storm? Is is from the lightning?
I'm not too worried about the oil companies. I think they'll have plenty of business for long time. I don't see economical transportation alternatives for all our transportation needs for a long time, unless there are batteries I'm unaware of. I've seen some cool ideas, but the odds are long I think.
Capture the lightning, store it in a superconducting storage ring surrounded by pickups to extract energy from the circling electrons. Like the opposite of the particle accelerators used in particle physics research. I read about the concept years ago, maybe in Scientific American Magazine, but I'm not sure. Superconducting power transmission lines mean less energy wasted as heat, fewer & smaller substations, less material needed to get power from where it is made/stored to where it is used.

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 02-22-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I cant beleive people havent figured out how to store power from lightning....

this is an honest thought....there has to be a way...maybe they have and are not letting the tech out or something

probably so...jajaja

with you know $$$$ oil industry still around...

Islander 36 refit still going on...