SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What did you learn to sail on?

12K views 80 replies 80 participants last post by  luhtag 
#1 ·
So tell me, what boat did you learn to sail on or what was your first boat? What boat did you sail/own that taught you the most about sailing.

And what do you sail now?

#53 ·
First time sailing was on a sunfish back in the early 70's. Had no idea what I was doing. First boat I owned was a Luger Leward that I built as a kit. The garage smelled like fiberglass resin for months. 7 or 8 boats between then and now both sail and power. Current boat is a Beneteau 473. I still love to sail and learn new stuff all the time.

#56 ·
I took a combined ASA 101/103 course in 2010 on a 29 foot C&C. Then, I purchased a 17 foot Whit sailboat, manufactured by SailMFG. When it became clear that the Whip was too small for us, we bought our current boat, a 25 foot MacGregor. It's safe to say that I've learned most of what I know (however little that may be) on the MacGregor during the last three seasons, though the instruction I received as I was starting out was invaluable. I could not have been a "buy it and learn on your own" person: I needed the structured learning beforehand, then a chance to put it into practice regularly.

It's worked for me.:D

#57 ·
As an adult I took lessons on a Soling in Boston and then signed up for their Pearson 26 membership. I then owned; Winthrop Warner 31 Yawl (Wood was not good), Pearson 30, Pearson 424 and another Pearson 30.

On OPB's I sailed on a Bristol 41.1 Boston to Bermuda, a C&C 34R Bermuda to St. Thomas and a Camper Nicholson 60 Annapolis to Bermuda along with various coastal trips.

These were all always learning experiences.

#59 ·
My first sailboat was a Bombardier. It was white and orange. It was like a Laser, with a sail that had a sleeve that fit over a tall mast. I found an old Sports Illustrated book for boys about sailing and that's how I learned. Had a riot with the boat on inland lakes in Michigan. Dumped it several times and learned never to Jibe (though I didn't know the term at the time). I eventually sold the boat because I was living in an area that didn't have lakes near by.

Many years later I took sailing lessons on a 38 foot cruiser on Lake Michigan with my wife. She got hooked. :)

#61 ·
I learned on a sunfish first, then a 15ft rebel, both at the base boat docks at the 2nd marine air wing, Cherry Point NC. Then many years later on dyer dhow in Mystic Ct, then onto a Bristol Corinthian on Narraganset bay, at an ASA school. Now me and the Admiral sail a 1975, 24.7ft Bristol Corsair. This will be our 2nd season on our own boat.

#62 ·
In 2006, my son called me from his office overlooking Newport Bay (Ca), saying "Hey dad, I see all these little boats on the bay every day - looks like a sailing class. We should do that together, it'll be fun". And it was a lot of fun! We learned to sail, first on Lido 14's (3 classes), and then on Shields 30' keelboats. Then in 2008, we bought a Catalina 22, and after 2 yrs sailing that, we upgraded to a Catalina 320 which we love. I still have a lot to learn, but having a great time, and have met some great sailing friends, who I continue to learn from every time we go sailing (or just talk about our boats)!

#64 ·
Answered an ad about 5 or 6 years ago to crew on the Chesapeake in a Contest 30 with a very patient sailor who was the consummate teacher. Coming from a powerboat background, I didn't really get it until I moved to CA and started sailing Cal 20s, Lasers and C15s at my yacht club. Everything that people say about small boats is true. The learning curve in sailing is vertical, but exponentially fast when you're in a small boat. Then I bought my first (and possibly only!) sailboat, a Freedom 38.

#68 ·
Started on a Sunfish in the mid 90s....graduated to a Chrysler Lone Star 16... Sold that and a motorcycle and bought a Rhodes 22. Sold that and bought another much newer model and still sailing that boat...and loving it. Still have a lot to learn.

#69 ·
Dad bought a used Pintail from the original owner in the mid-70s. Passed down to me and still sailing it. Sailing inland lakes can be frustrating, Wind gusts then dies, changes direction, dies again. Learned patience and how to live with change. Maybe a life lesson in there some where. Will be stepping up to a Mac 26 or similar in a few years when we retire. Have kids and grandkids to introduce to sailing. Dave G

#70 ·
My first sailboat was a Newport 16 fixed keel that I bought when I lived in Pullman Washington. I tried to sail it on the Snake River. I could do it now, but I couldn't then. After moving to western Washington state, I kept it summers on a buoy off the north end of Camano Island. Next came a Crescent 151/2. It is a Plywood on frame dinghy with a galvanized pivoting centerboard. Sailed it also off of Camano Island. Next came a Hobie 16. Same waters. Way fun. Finally a Yankee 28 came into my life, but my life at the time couldn't handle it. Later I got back into sailing with a Catalina 27 and now have graduated to a Bristol 32. I'm retired now and that is our girl. I learned the most on the Newport and the Yankee. I'm finally honing everything now on the Bristol.

Jim

#73 ·
I'm probably not alone. I learned on a home built plywood Sailfish when I was 6 or 7 years old. For the most part, from that moment on, sailing is like riding a bicycle.

You can get as good as you want, or just ride to the store every few years. There's a lot of space between the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.