Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are sailing schools worth it?

My wife and I took ASA lessons and 7 days later were sailing by ourselves on 33' boats.of it

PS - do your reading ahead of time and know what you need to do in order to get the most out
Old 02-22-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

A lot depends on the way you learn. But for $2000 you could get an inexpensive boat and go at it and you can sell it for what you paid for it when ready to move up. Don't head out into the ocean, but hang out in lakes and bays till you are comfortable. Check with the local Coast Guard and Power Squadron as they have basic courses to cover things like the rules of the road and safety that are free or inexpensive. The thing with the certificate is that all it will help you with is if you want to charter a boat. If that is not in your plans then perhaps a less formal path may be more productive.

Others though likely need a more structured environment. If you feel you need something structured go for it. Another option is to join a sailing club. They maintain the boats, take care of insurance, upgrading, and you get to take out different types as your skills improve. Some of them have training courses as well, that you take to qualify to use the bigger boats. Normally much less expensive than maintaining your own boat. You have to fit your schedule around theirs. For instance you may not get a boat on the 4th of July but can on the 5th. This works out for a lot of people, especially if you have a flexible schedule.

Where you live may also determine what is available to you. IE lots of options in Annapolis, not so many in Podunk.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
No offense to the instructors here, but the ones I've come across over the years have not really been that knowledgeable or experienced beyond very focused attention to some basics that are easily learned on your own.
What, in particular, didn't you get that you wanted? What was the type of knowledge they lacked?

I'm interested. Might learn something...

okay, I've got you for 3 hours in a 10-knot breeze on a nice day. 24' fin-keel sloop, main, jib, assym spinny with a retractable bowsprit. What do you want me to cover? I have 2 or 3 other students with you.
klshoreguy likes this.
Old 02-22-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
What, in particular, didn't you get that you wanted? What was the type of knowledge they lacked?

I'm interested. Might learn something...

okay, I've got you for 3 hours in a 10-knot breeze on a nice day. 24' fin-keel sloop, main, jib, assym spinny with a retractable bowsprit. What do you want me to cover? I have 2 or 3 other students with you.
Sorry, I got interrupted in my post and meant to qualify that. I've never taken a lesson in my life but have been around some instructors and schools. I just meant to warn the OP not to expect to learn calculus if the teacher is only really good at addition and subtraction--which can be learned on your own. That's just my observations, and they are limited.
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Learning the correct way to do something in the first place is always easier and less expensive than trying to unlearn the wrong way later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Do you own a sailboat? planning to purchase one soon?

Generally speaking, I think it's good to take a beginner's course ( ASA 101 here) basic keelboat. Then either go out on your boat, a rental, or crew on op's boats and practice what you've learned, get proficient at the basics: tacking, gybing, sailing all points of sail, heaving-to etc. Then go on to the next level when you know more..about what you don't know.

I'm not sure I'd spend $2000. learning and then have no boat to practice on, on a regular basis.
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 02-22-2014

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I don't think you need 5 days to learn how to sail. I learned to sail in a weekend sailing course. IIRC, it was two days, and a 2 day course should, of course, be considerably less expensive than 5 days. There were 4 students and an instructor on each boat. We spent until noon the first day in class, learning terminology and theory, and we sailed all afternoon. The second day, we spent a short time in class, and the rest of the day on the boat. I learned enough in the course to be able to charter a 26' sailboat, and sail the gulf coast of Florida. It took a little common sense and studying of a nautical chart to find my way around. You won't become a highly skilled sailor in two days, but, truthfully, you won't in five days either. You just need to learn enough to get you started. After that, you'll have a lifetime to learn the rest.
Old 02-22-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

id much rather have a 1 on 1 with an old salt...picking one is tough just like picking a mentor is

that is not to say schools are bad...

some suffer from poor hands on teaching, others excell in theory etc...

most all are quite expensive in my humble opinion.

what is of utmost importance is to vary your training and learning experiences...

and your boat if you have one...

for example using the 2k figure...I can buy a nice old boat for around 1k...get into a marina...have my own slip for 100 a month and then fix the boat a bit

now you have your home away from home, a platform, a learning center(free)

now all you need to do is walk the docks, ask around, get a couple of people to teach you the ropes, for a beer or a meal, then when you get the guts and theory down you go and SAIL

thats the best way...repetition...in out in out of marina, raise lower sails, etc...etc...

the more you do the better you get...then foucs on specifics...

but thats my biased opinion

if you dont want the hassle of ownership then use these schools...

in any case hope you learn and have fun, what it should be about!

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
I don't think you need 5 days to learn how to sail. I learned to sail in a weekend sailing course. IIRC, it was two days, and a 2 day course should, of course, be considerably less expensive than 5 days. There were 4 students and an instructor on each boat. We spent until noon the first day in class, learning terminology and theory, and we sailed all afternoon. The second day, we spent a short time in class, and the rest of the day on the boat. I learned enough in the course to be able to charter a 26' sailboat, and sail the gulf coast of Florida. It took a little common sense and studying of a nautical chart to find my way around. You won't become a highly skilled sailor in two days, but, truthfully, you won't in five days either. You just need to learn enough to get you started. After that, you'll have a lifetime to learn the rest.
just a question please take no offence

how the hell did you charter a boat fresh from learning how to sail?

I couldnt even with a captains license in boat centric san francisco bay

they wanted so damn much info, $$$ tests, blah blah blah I said screw it and started looking at boats to buy
such a hassle

bought a folkboat in berkeley and had a blast

Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
.....how the hell did you charter a boat fresh from learning how to sail?
If you take the Offshore Sailing School liveaboard course, you start on day 1 with zero sailing experience. You live with an instructor aboard for 6 days. You have class over breakfast everyday and take both written and practical tests until dinner. On day 7, your final practical exam is to take the boat to another island (min 5 miles, stay the night and bring the boat back in the morning), with no instructor aboard! My wife did so with two others on a 43ft benetaeu and the whole crew sailed for the first time in their lives 6 days earlier!

Once you've passed that course, any charter company there will bareboat a similar size vessel to you.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.