Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Re: Are sailing schools worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
just a question please take no offence

how the hell did you charter a boat fresh from learning how to sail?

I couldnt even with a captains license in boat centric san francisco bay

they wanted so damn much info, $$$ tests, blah blah blah I said screw it and started looking at boats to buy
such a hassle

bought a folkboat in berkeley and had a blast
I chartered the boat a year after taking the course. I chartered it from the same sailing school where I took the course. If they didn't have enough confidence to charter the boat to me, it didn't speak well of their instruction. In short, I put them on the spot.

Back in the day, it was shockingly easy to charter a boat. I have never had a charter company ask me to raise the sails when checking me out for a charter. They never seemed to care whether I could actually sail. Their main concern was whether I could maneuver the boat around the docks under power, and, oh yeah, whether I had a valid credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

well that makes perfect sense! nowadays its hard...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-22-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road

Maybe if you told us what you get for the $2,000 we can better answer the question....Is it a week long vacation where you get to sail and you are getting lessons, foods, overnight accommodations, etc. Is it ASA courses, etc.

You could take ASA 101-104 and learn tons for about $1,200. However, they do suggest 5-60 hours of tiller time between 101 and 103 and I'm not sure what you would get out of 103 have just taken 101 a day before.
Old 02-22-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I have a beginner's discover sailing course which I decided to take after much consideration. Not the learning bit....I WANT to do it. But the cost.

The discover sailing for 1.5 hrs is costing me 60$. If I take the whole course it is around 2000$ after which I will also get a certificate.

My question is....Is it the right way to spend so much(almost any school is around this range) for a week? Or is there other way

No. Sailing is easy and a hands-on sport. Just read a basic book on it.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-22-2014

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you take the Offshore Sailing School liveaboard course, you start on day 1 with zero sailing experience. You live with an instructor aboard for 6 days. You have class over breakfast everyday and take both written and practical tests until dinner. On day 7, your final practical exam is to take the boat to another island (min 5 miles, stay the night and bring the boat back in the morning), with no instructor aboard! My wife did so with two others on a 43ft benetaeu and the whole crew sailed for the first time in their lives 6 days earlier!

Once you've passed that course, any charter company there will bareboat a similar size vessel to you.
You own a nice big boat, I just don't get the point of this? I guess if you need someone to help you learn your own boat, then ok, but otherwise? I guess if folks like going to "camp" for a week. I'd rather spend the week on my boat. If I f@#$ stuff up, that's how I learn.
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
You own a nice big boat, I just don't get the point of this? I guess if you need someone to help you learn your own boat, then ok, but otherwise? I guess if folks like going to "camp" for a week. I'd rather spend the week on my boat. If I f@#$ stuff up, that's how I learn.
I was responding in that post (quoted in fact) to a poster that asks how you bareboat coming fresh from training and I explained how its done.

Certainly, I have no issue with bareboating in the Caribbean, but how did you get this was about me or you?

For what it's worth, the liveaboard course is not camping, it's work. They will tell you not to bother bringing your mask and snorkel.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

this is something I did come across...if you did everything the bareboat charters or for example the shcools needed you do then you could take out a boat

but I guess what I found weird was how few places would rent out boats to skilled sailors as is...

they all wanted something, a certificate some sort of membership somewhere or courses taken etc...

and I even showed these guys my master ticket and they were like ok cool but yeah you need to do this first, take this course, etc...etc...

I just felt werid

maybe in the carribean its different?

dunno

Old 02-23-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
this is something I did come across...if you did everything the bareboat charters or for example the shcools needed you do then you could take out a boat

but I guess what I found weird was how few places would rent out boats to skilled sailors as is...

they all wanted something, a certificate some sort of membership somewhere or courses taken etc...

and I even showed these guys my master ticket and they were like ok cool but yeah you need to do this first, take this course, etc...etc...

I just felt werid

maybe in the carribean its different?

dunno
You actually showed a bareboat company a ticket and they wouldn't let you rent a boat?
Down here, the bareboat companies are so desperate for customers they give boats to people with absolutely no experience at all.
At least when I was working down here 30 years ago, they had to show that they could operate the boat, or the companies put a "guide" aboard to safeguard the boat.
How things have changed.
Old 02-23-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

this was in san fran...it wasnt a bareboat charter group it was more of a community type sailing school and rental...

dont know what the deal was, maybe I was not into it either but they said yeah we need more stuff you need to take these tests and enroll and be with us some time before you can take out boats yourself...

I think I had to crew on boats with other people for like 20 hours or so something like that, then take a test, and then only then be able to take out a boat

in the end I said screw it and saved up for a folkboat...jajajaja
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Old 02-23-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

This is one of those questions that for every sailor, there is a different opinion. Mine is this: If you're one of those folks (like I was) who can read a manual and then with minimal instruction, go do it... then I suggest do it that way... but you have to have a boat. With lessons at a school, you're paying for use of the boat, the maintenance, the insurance, the business overhead, the instructor's fees... A person today without access to a boat has limited choices.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.