Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Are sailing schools worth it?

It amazes me that people who insist that their doctor, dentist, lawyer, airline pilot and cruise ship captain have ten years of training and experience when faced with developing their own skills that allow them to function at the same level as professionals are unwilling to put in the time and money.

My wife has a US Coast Guard 100 ton Masters, she can handle a 55 ft boat alone in a gale and negotiate a close passing with a couple of 600 ft freighters ...That level of competency does not come from a two day course!!!

Of course learning from professionals is worth the time, effort and money.

Last edited by Yorksailor; 02-23-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

My first thought was perhaps a community sailing school has less assets should they get sued so they may want to CTA more than a large, international charter company that can absorb the consequences of letting a freshly minted sailor operate one of their boats. Just a thought. For some, suing people is a source of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
this was in san fran...it wasnt a bareboat charter group it was more of a community type sailing school and rental...

christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-23-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I took an ASA101 course and enjoyed it very much. I wanted to be able to practice the skills without having to ask permission from someone else to rent so I bought my own boat. I thought the course was a good introduction. Having someone who knew more than I did to show the right way to do something and share experience was helpful.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-23-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Realizing the romantic notion of sailing doesn't compare with the reality of it? Isn't it better?

No. I vote against classes. My first boat was bought knowing nothing. Only having sailed one day, the day before. It was a cal 20. Bought for $1500 plus $500 for a used engine and $200 a month for slip fees in Hawaii for eight months.

So you're saying for about that price I could have taken two week long classes? And that it supposed to be worth about the same as owning your own boat in Hawaii? All the people you meet that help you get going, all the memories I have of that time. It can't compare.

But it doesn't have to. Different circumstances lead to different options being worth more.

I still don't think of sailing as a paid lessons type of sport. Way too many ways to learn yourself. Way too many people that will take you out just to make a new friend.

Old 02-23-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Different sailors have very different needs and goals. For those who will only be taking simple boats out in generally benign conditions in protected waters, basic sailing skills and safety knowledge will likely suffice. That's hugely different from the preparation needed to be safe in areas with heavy traffic, harsh weather, or to cruise long distances far from shelter. Many who see sailing as a simple recreational escape don't have the desire or need to sail at a professional level, but can still be safe, competent sailors if they keep their sailing within the limits of their ability.
Old 02-23-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
It amazes me that people who insist that their doctor, dentist, lawyer, airline pilot and cruise ship captain have ten years of training and experience when faced with developing their own skills that allow them to function at the same level as professionals are unwilling to put in the time and money.

My wife has a US Coast Guard 100 ton Masters, she can handle a 55 ft boat alone in a gale and negotiate a close passing with a couple of 600 ft freighters ...That level of competency does not come from a two day course!!!

Of course learning from professionals is worth the time, effort and money.
I have the same restricted to 50 tons

my point at least was this was useless info or certification to take a simple keel boat out for the afternoon according to these guys

what they wanted was $$$ and courses and time into their system in order to take said boat out

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-23-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
My first thought was perhaps a community sailing school has less assets should they get sued so they may want to CTA more than a large, international charter company that can absorb the consequences of letting a freshly minted sailor operate one of their boats. Just a thought. For some, suing people is a source of income.
what is cta? and yes I agree...completely think it had less to do with my skills or not than whatever it was they needed me to do in order to buy into their program

hijack over

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-23-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
what is cta? and yes I agree...completely think it had less to do with my skills or not than whatever it was they needed me to do in order to buy into their program

hijack over
I had to change "CYA" to *their* in order to make the sentence sound correct.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-23-2014

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hi everyone,
Tomorrow I have a beginner's discover sailing course which I decided to take after much consideration. Not the learning bit....I WANT to do it. But the cost.
The discover sailing for 1.5 hrs is costing me 60$. If I take the whole course it is around 2000$ after which I will also get a certificate.

My question is....Is it the right way to spend so much(almost any school is around this range) for a week? Or is there other way
we offer a 2 hr. intro @ $75.00, a 20hr ( two weekends ) ASA 101/103 @ $595.00 ( $495.00 if you become a member) a 5 day 101-104 @ $1295.00. plus some other cool packages

These are group classes limited to no less than two, no more than 5

edit
I hope that didn't violate rules, if it did, I/we can erase it

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 02-23-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

In my experience as an instructor I have found that many self taught sailors have some of the worst habits.

I would rather start with a "blank slate." (BTW - "blank slate" is a sailing term. I think it would be a great name for a boat.)

It is also essential that folks get a bunch of experience between various sailing standards.

Personally - I got my feet wet on a Tartan 10 racing on Galveston Bay, then took some lessons and went sailing for almost a decade, then got some additional certification before becoming an instructor.
nolatom likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.