Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014

rishi851 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are sailing schools worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
we offer a 2 hr. intro @ $75.00, a 20hr ( two weekends ) ASA 101/103 @ $595.00 ( $495.00 if you become a member) a 5 day 101-104 @ $1295.00. plus some other cool packages

These are group classes limited to no less than two, no more than 5

edit
I hope that didn't violate rules, if it did, I/we can erase it

Hey,
Do you have a website or link I can look into?
I like your package and it helps that you are a regular here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

I think you can divide the skills into 2 categories: Sailing and everything else.

IMHO there's no better way to learn to sail than on small boats. When you trim the sails right, and balance the boat, they reward you immediately with increased performance. Big boats not so much. I've done some instruction in this category, and find that a little talking, and a lot of doing is the key.

On the other hand, there's all the other stuff. Weather, navigation, safety, COLREGS, anchoring, close quarter maneuvering of bigger boats, etc. I've had experience teaching this as well, and IMHO quite a bit of talking works here, and can help you not learn stuff the hard way, which is often expensive, and sometimes dangerous.

Cutting to the case, if I had $2K to spend, and just wanted to learn to sail, I'd probably buy a small boat and find a buddy with experience. If on the other hand my plan was to immediately start cruising distances, not just dipping my toe in the water, in a decent sized yacht, I'd recommend some instruction. For this lifestyle, you also need a budget for the next step beyond schooling, buying/maintaining a cruising boat, or at least regular chartering.

Good luck, but whatever you, give it a try. Most on this board would say that sailing is one of the best things that every happened to us.
Old 02-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Docking a bigger boat takes some experience too and that can be very limited in beginner courses. Not uncommon for larger boats to be longer than the fairway is wide, limiting maneuver choices. There is more windage, impossible to muscle off or onto the dock, etc.

Even using bow thrusters, which are more common on larger boats, would help with some basic instruction, such as: for most boats when you thrust the bow in one direction, the stern goes in the opposite. Holding a thruster down for an extended period can burn it out, even potentially start a fire (I've seen one on a buddy's boat that did this). When backing in, the thruster can act like a rudder of sorts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-24-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

If you are going the schooling route the best bet is the larger more established schools like OCCS or Offshore. If you want personal training people like John Kretchmer or others who have done it for a few years will be good. Really though, there is no replacement for time on the water sailing or repairing boats. Bleed a diesel once, you know how, bleed it a few dozen times you become proficient. Reef once you know how, reef hundreds of times it's just a part of sailing. Nothing replaces "doing".
Old 02-24-2014

csalatti is on a distinguished road

2 thousand seems a bit steep for a keel boat course/certification. I teach basic keelboat (US Sailing) in the summer and I think it is closer to $800. Also the one advantage of taking a course at a good sailing center is the support/opportunities they can offer once you have finished the class. The sailing center I work at offers programs where new sailors can get "sea time" with other more experience sailors (e.g. Race Night, New Sailor Night). It seems like the newly certified sailors find these experiences helpful until they completely develop their skills.
Old 02-24-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

There are lots of good reasons posted here why schools are a good reason. However it still comes down to this: We're all different. Some folks just "get it", others don't. Some take longer, some are shy, some can't afford it.

"Are Sailing Schools Worth It?" cannot best be answered until you've been there and done that and then looked back upon your experiences. Better question might be "What are your experiences and thoughts about sailing schools"?
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 02-24-2014

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hey,
Do you have a website or link I can look into?
I like your package and it helps that you are a regular here.
The web address is marinasailing.com I'll be in tomorrow - Thursday at the SD office if you want to talk in person or we can communicate by PM here.

Also, one of the more fun packages is the 104 &, 106 course which is done during and in the Newport to Ensenada race

In SD all class time is on the water

We've been around since 1962

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 02-24-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2014

Jak is on a distinguished road

I suppose it depends on how you learn. I would spend the $2k on a boat. A 20ish ft boat is easy enough to teach yourself on (I did). I read some books, bought a 23' boat and never looked back. in reality sailing is pretty intuitive and not hard to get the basics once your out on the water (especially when you are the only person you can rely on). I have never had a lesson, nor had anyone to show me the ropes. Jut get out on the water. you will figure it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2014

James757 is on a distinguished road

I found sailing classes very helpful and was I very fortunate to have taken courses at the Navy base in Norfolk, VA because the cost for training was easy on the budget. However, I see formal training as a part of the larger scheme to become a competent sailor. Again, I lucked out since I have met a fair amount of people who sail and are willing to share their knowledge. Likewise, this forum has been very helpful. People have been very patient with their advice since I still confuse port the side of the boat with port the drink!

For me, classes worked and I anticipate taking more courses in the future.
Old 02-25-2014

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I think it really depends on a number of factors.
  1. Where do you live?
  2. How much free time do you have?
  3. How good are you at learning from books?

If you live near the water with an active boating community you can find many opportunities to sail, provided you have the free time to be near the water. If you can learn from reading you can teach most of what you need to know by reading and making mistakes. While I have taken two sailing classes in my 20 years of sailing I would say I am mostly self taught.

Unless you have another way to learn or get on a boat I would suggest taking the ASA 101 as a minimum. That way you could be at least rent small boats or be helpful on other peoples boats. I don't think taking 101-103 and 104 all at once is a good idea. There is so much info to squeeze in a short period, that you'd be better taking 101 learning to sail a smaller keel boat and all things sailing related first then rent the small boats for 10 times before moving onto the big boat classes. Here are some books you should own to start learning.

Royce's Sailing Illustrated: Patrick M. Royce: 9780894716966: Amazon.com: Books Royce's Sailing Illustrated: Patrick M. Royce: 9780894716966: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition eBook: John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Books Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition eBook: John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Books