Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014

DrB will become famous soon enough
My Fairclough Cover Failed

Had the cover for 4 winters and this year, although not a ton of snow, 3 out of the 6 pairs of frame legs collapsed under the weight of snow. Frustrating because the guy next to me has a one and his held up.
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: My Fairclough Cover Failed

You mean the metal tubing? That's surprising, I would think I could park a car on ours. Did it bend or break at a connection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014

Metal tubing

Where the bendis from the upper section to the side section. All 6 kinked at the bend. My guess is the once one went, the rest went
Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

That really stinks, have you called them? I've always found them to be very helpful, so I'll be curious what they do about it? In theory, the pitch of the side should not hold enough snow to weigh that much. I guess there is heavy snow and light snow. Sorry for your trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Had the cover for 4 winters and this year, although not a ton of snow, 3 out of the 6 pairs of frame legs collapsed under the weight of snow. Frustrating because the guy next to me has a one and his held up.
You did have the snow struts?

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-22-2014

MS, what do you mean by snow struts? The 1x2 longitudinal fir strips?

There should be two rows of them. I had an installer use only one row a couple of years back and made them do it over.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-22-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
MS, what do you mean by snow struts? The 1x2 longitudinal fir strips?

There should be two rows of them. I had an installer use only one row a couple of years back and made them do it over.
No they are additional braces for heavy snow load areas... If you are not busting snow off a Fairclough after each storm then you really better have the snow struts... Even then these covers need to have the snow removed so the don't collapse..

I have some pics somewhere I can upload..

Not my pic but it shows the struts..

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-22-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2014

No snow struts.

I follow the video on how to install and instructions booklet that came with kit. My boat is in MA and when I bought the cover that is where the boat was located and cover delivered. If I needed a snow strut, they should have advised.
Old 02-22-2014

Re: No snow struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
I follow the video on how to install and instructions booklet that came with kit. My boat is in MA and when I bought the cover that is where the boat was located and cover delivered. If I needed a snow strut, they should have advised.
They are an option..

Old 02-22-2014

Interesting. I've never heard of them, nor did the sales folks at Fairclough ever mention them.

Jeanneau 54DS