SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winter weather photos currently in your location?

4K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Squidd 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I took these photos of the St. Lawrence River... this was a Scull rowing event going on in sub freezing temps, there were ice chunks/small ice bergs floating at high currents of the river...

These slips in this marina were filled with boats over the Summer/Fall... but now...

These boats were frozen stuck to the ice...

See less See more
#2 ·

Well it is winter after all

#4 ·
Well you are after all about 20 miles south of me

#9 ·
Can you see the big beautiful Lake just beyond the small tree line? No??

... neither can I :(.

This is what my cruising ground looks like right now. My boat is on the hard and covered in snow. Given how cold this winter has been, I don't expect to splash down until early June.
I see your dilemma... but cheer up Mike... means you have 4 more months of planning your escape. Soon that snow will be white beach sand, heat so hot and humid you'll scream for some 'white stuff'... :laugher

#16 ·
BBQ and Boot Hockey on Lake Champlain this past weekend. We don't let a little ice keep us off the water.
Ditto!

This is White Bear Lake, the birthplace of flat-bottomed scow racing. Currently it has about 30" of ice, so naturally we had a festival out there. I built the giant jigsaw puzzles.

#21 ·
Weather is great outside........26 Feb

TONIGHT
Mostly cloudy. Scattered snow showers late. Cold with lows ranging from zero to 5 above across the tug hill to 10 to 15 along the lake ontario shore. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph... Becoming southeast. Chance of snow 40 percent.

THURSDAY
Scattered snow showers in the morning...then lake effect snow in the afternoon. Areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the afternoon. Accumulation 3 to 6 inches in the most persistent snows. Windy and cold. Early afternoon highs 15 to 20...then temperatures falling to between 10 and 15 inland and to between 15 and 20 along the lake ontario shore. South winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming west and increasing to 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

THURSDAY NIGHT
Areas of blowing snow in the evening. Lake effect snow in the evening...then lake effect snow showers overnight. Snow may be heavy at times in the evening. Additional accumulation 5 to 10 inches in the most persistent snows. Very windy and cold with lows ranging from zero to 5 below across the tug hill to zero to 5 above along the lake ontario shore. West winds 25 to 35 mph... Diminishing to 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

FRIDAY
Lake effect snow in the morning...then lake effect snow showers likely in the afternoon. Cold with highs ranging from 5 to 10 above on the tug hill to 10 to 15 across the lower elevations. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

FRIDAY NIGHT
Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the evening. Cold. Late evening lows zero to 5 below...then temperatures rising to between 5 and 10 above inland and to between 10 and 15 along the lake ontario shore. Light winds...becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40 percent.

SATURDAY
Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the upper 20s.
SATURDAY NIGHT
Snow likely. Lows 5 to 10 above. Chance of snow 70 percent.
SUNDAY
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Highs 20 to 25.
SUNDAY NIGHT
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Lows 5 to 10 above.
MONDAY
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Highs 15 to 20.
MONDAY NIGHT
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows zero to 5 below.
TUESDAY
Partly sunny. Highs 5 to 10 above.
TUESDAY NIGHT
Mostly cloudy. Lows zero to 5 below.

It's the movie Ground Hog Day everyday !

#30 ·
Made the mistake of going to the marina today. :(

My slip is around the middle and close to the right-hand edge of this pic:

The way the winter is going I may change the name of my boat to 'Snow Dragon':

#31 ·
I am so amazed at the photos with marinas completely covered. We are in NC so have no appreciation of what some others go through. We have stayed on our boat all through the winter and are going out tomorrow as 70 degrees is the forecasted temp. I will try and post a pic but not sure if I can. Feeling for all those under snow and ice!!

#33 · (Edited)
Sailboat in upper right corner and my car, almost invisible - you can just barely see the buried outline of the car roof behind the bushes.

Barges heading south on the Hudson River

And ice boats sailing on the Hudson yesterday ( Saturday) - we sail this little bay all the time in summer

More snow on the way today and tomorrow - and single digit temps for days after that - as benesailor said -its groundhog day everyday - and has been for the last 2.5 months. I don't know how any deer could have survived this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.