Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: So why leave?

it is about ALL of it and everywhere is awesome.,
jerryrlitton likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

There are a number of reasons, each person will have his own.

It can be about weather - South Pacific is not a place to linger in the summer months with unpredictability of cyclones placing those who do at risk.

It can be about permits - Example: Indonesia allows 3 months and then you have to leave. You can leave and return almost immediately with a new visa but you have to leave.

It can be about money - example: New Zealand pays a full pension for 6 months while you're out of the country, then it gets pro-rated downwards according to some formula.

It can simply be about not believing that this paradise I'm in cannot be improved on. Some sailors arriving at the Marquesas believed it to be paradise. That was right up until they discovered the Tuamotus. But was this really paradise? Yep, right up until they discovered Bora Bora. And so the journey continues.

And finally it can be about the joy of new places, new cultures and new people. Not all paradises are beautiful. Many can be pretty average but there is an element that make visiting it a joyous experience. These places often have limited durability.

These are my reasons YMMV
jerryrlitton and aeventyr60 like this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-23-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Maybe they leave because the anchorage got converted to a mooring field, living aboard became regulated by local ordinance and dinghy landing and upland facilities became unreasonably priced.
I presume you're referring to a place like Boot Key Harbor...

Marathon was never my idea of "Paradise" before the mooring field became a reality, nor is it now... But I'll bet if you polled cruisers who spent time there 20 years ago, the majority would agree that the increased 'regulation' of Boot Key Harbor has been an improvement...

It's not my style, but plenty of other folks seem to like it well enough... Go figure...

Old 02-23-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
It's not my style, but plenty of other folks seem to like it well enough... Go figure...

This is what my nightmares are made of Jon. It's the kind of image that has me scared as we head south. For me, cruising is about finding peace, and solitude. On Lake Superior I can go for weeks without seeing anyone. We are beginning our trek south this summer. My heart trembles when I see pictures like this.
Old 02-23-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This is what my nightmares are made of Jon. It's the kind of image that has me scared as we head south. For me, cruising is about finding peace, and solitude. On Lake Superior I can go for weeks without seeing anyone. We are beginning our trek south this summer. My heart trembles when I see pictures like this.
Well, you're not gonna find a Lake Superior North Shore experience in S Florida, but it's certainly not impossible to distance yourself from the herd... Florida Bay, for example, offers some great opportunities to get into some pretty wild backcountry. Shoal draft helps, of course, but even with my 5+ draft and playing the tides, I was able to get into some real back of beyond territory...

Once you get over to the Bahamas, the possibilities are almost endless, with a bit of effort you can find plenty of solitude...

I find the key to finding solitude, is to study CHARTS, instead of the cruising guides... Everybody relies on the same guides these days, but it seems very few actually look at paper charts anymore, so that's where the rare gems are most likely to be found... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-23-2014 at 10:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If you think Marathon is Paradise, then you haven't been cruising very long or far. The reefs are dead, the politics of the Keys are just ridiculous and everything is outrageously overpriced. And, there are no safe places to put your boat in a major hurricane.
Sail on, there are much better places over the horizon.
What location do you like for paradise?
Old 02-24-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Because I can...

The grass is not always greener it just tastes a little different....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Jon's pic got me thinking. While I like peaceful, there are also times when I like the energy of having other people around. I need both, therefore, I move on. No one place an ever have it all.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-24-2014

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
What location do you like for paradise?
Paradise is a state of mind, not a destination.
Old 02-24-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, you're not gonna find a Lake Superior North Shore experience in S Florida, but it's certainly not impossible to distance yourself from the herd... Florida Bay, for example, offers some great opportunities to get into some pretty wild backcountry. Shoal draft helps, of course, but even with my 5+ draft and playing the tides, I was able to get into some real back of beyond territory...

Once you get over to the Bahamas, the possibilities are almost endless, with a bit of effort you can find plenty of solitude...

I find the key to finding solitude, is to study CHARTS, instead of the cruising guides... Everybody relies on the same guides these days, but it seems very few actually look at paper charts anymore, so that's where the rare gems are most likely to be found... :-)
Thanks Jon, that's good to hear. I've sailed in crowded areas, and I find no joy in packed anchorages that look like wally-mart parking lots. And good advice about how to use guides. Read them, see where the anchorages are marked, and then go somewhere else.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 02-24-2014 at 09:52 AM.