Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
So why leave?

You've been cruising and you come to a true paradise. The local are friendly, the water cheap and clean, the spearfishing excellent, and the other cruisers are a joy to be with.

It seems that cruisers leave even though their provisions haven't run out. Or they leave a paradise where they are making money and could stay indefinitely,

Like CruisingDad when we met up with him in Marathon. He had a good thing going, had already written cruising guides for the area, but still planned to sail to the next location.

So why is it that you leave a paradise?

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Re: So why leave?

Because they are cruising.

Jerry
chall03, Group9, SloopJonB and 1 others like this.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

Old 02-22-2014

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

The bear went over the mountain.....

To see what he could see.

That's what cruising is all about.

Or if you prefer to paraphrase Star Trek opening

. These are the voyages of the good ship (fill in the name of your vessel) Its X year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
Old 02-22-2014
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

Because the grass is always greener.....?

....or maybe like me, it doesn't matter whether on land or sea, I just prefer to move, It's impossible for me to take my eyes of the horizon for long and not wonder.....

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar

Last edited by DJR351; 02-22-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

people get bored so it is time to move on
Old 02-22-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

There are those who are driven to see what is around the bend, or over the hill. I used to be that guy. But the older I get, the more I realize that there is beauty, adventure, and the opportunity for learning everywhere. I don't need to go anywhere in particular. If I'm content, if I'm self-contained (food, water, power), if the weather is not pushing me along, then I can easily stay put.

The old proverb "the grass is always greener..." is a reminder that it is not.

I am leaving Lake Superior b/c the water turns hard 6 months of the year. That, and the cost of living in Canada is too high. If these were not true I'd probably never leave the Great Lakes. There's easily many lifetimes worth of exploration here. Perhaps I'll find a spot along our travels where life is good, costs are sustainable, and the living is easy. If that happens, who knows... I may never leave.
Old 02-22-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

3 reasons off the top of my head...

Some simply want to keep exploring, move on to the next new place...

The dictates of the seasons... Few will linger in New England beyond October, and many will want to move out of a tropical "Paradise" during hurricane/cyclone season... If you really want to go places, passagemaking at any latitude often has a pretty strict timetable...

Lastly, believe it or not, some folks actually like to sail... :-)
Faster, sailordave and BentSailor like this.
Old 02-22-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I spent the better part of three months in Marathon (Paradise), loved every minute of it, I didn't want to leave, they didn't want me to leave, but I had commitments in Maryland, contracts for music jobs, more than 200 of them that had to be fulfilled. I gave myself 30 days to get back home, made it just in time, played a music job two days after I arrived in Perryville, MD. My wife was still pissed at me, the kids think I'm the greatest dad in on the planet, doing what I did.

Now, I'm gonna schedule a trip back to Marathon next January, only this time I'm driving down, taking my wife, and of course, my music gear. I think I can work every night in Marathon during the tourist season, and that's the same opinion the folks that live there year round have. I'll rent a house for January and February, then go back to Maryland, perform a couple hundred music jobs, then take the proceeds and go back the following October via boat down the ICW and play music all the way on the trip.

I'll be the second, oldest person to single hand the ICW, at least that's what I've been told. I'll celebrate my 75th birthday on the ICW. Yeah, I'll come back to Maryland in April, and if I'm physically able, I'll go back to playing the senior music circuit for a living - everybody's gotta do something for a living.

Go back to Paradise - you betcha!

Gary
Old 02-22-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

If you think Marathon is Paradise, then you haven't been cruising very long or far. The reefs are dead, the politics of the Keys are just ridiculous and everything is outrageously overpriced. And, there are no safe places to put your boat in a major hurricane.
Sail on, there are much better places over the horizon.

Last edited by capta; 02-22-2014 at 11:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
inshallamiami (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

its all about adventure. for me if there is no adventure in my life why bother being alive.

I own a home in a neighborhood that was mostly filled with people just entering retirement at the time we moved there. for the most part they sat around having little get together's, drinking and playing cards until eventually they all Died. This is not for me. Boredom Kills
Group9 likes this.