Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: How much do you use your Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For you guys burning juice to run your plotters anchor alarm at night, consider an iPad or iPhone app for that.

Much less juice and some will allow you to check on the boat from shore, if you go to dinner, and see the same breadcrumb trail. That's peace of mind.
Sounds like a terrific idea. But help me out a bit, because we don't have a phone at all. How much for one of those phones or tabs? How much for a plan that will get me going on a British Island, a French Island and a Dutch Island?
I'm not being at all argumentative here; I would absolutely LOVE to be able to check the boat while ashore on one of those blustery 35 knot days!
But I;m betting I couldn't afford it if I was cruising beyond the cell limits of the USA.
Old 02-25-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not familiar with cell plans in other countries, but I know you can get them for the iPhone at least. No idea about the iPad. One version of the iPhone also allows updated Sim cards, if I'm not mistaken.

I pay $20 per month for the 3G cell data on my iPad and I've never used half of the allowance. I avoid streaming video, otherwise, I use it alot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

On all the time...I don't even have a secondary depthfinder but I don't cruise so I may not count
Old 02-25-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Sounds like a terrific idea. But help me out a bit, because we don't have a phone at all. How much for one of those phones or tabs? How much for a plan that will get me going on a British Island, a French Island and a Dutch Island?
I'm not being at all argumentative here; I would absolutely LOVE to be able to check the boat while ashore on one of those blustery 35 knot days!
But I;m betting I couldn't afford it if I was cruising beyond the cell limits of the USA.
The gsm system is based on the idea that the subscription data is stored on a (SIM) card that you insert into the phone.
Read more here

If you buy a phone or pad without phone locking GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, you can use different SIM cards in the same phone/pad.
That way you can buy a local SIM card an put into your phone, that is normally less expensive than using a foreign card locally.

The drawback with multiple SIM cards is that the phone number is tied to the card so suddenly you have many different phone numbers but only the one in the phone/pad will work at a given time.

Often you will find that prepay subscription is easy to buy.

EDIT:
If you buy a phone/pad with built in GPS it will also work without any phone coverage.
And if you want chart you should select a chart that works without internet coverage.
But you should now that battery wont last that long when the GPS is turned on.

Last edited by knuterikt; 02-25-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added note on GPS in phone
Old 02-25-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
Many years ago, my daughter did a school science project on GPS and nautical charts. We picked a bunch of spots in Biscayne Bay and the Upper Keys. A significant number of locations and channel markers were off, some by many hundreds of feet.
I wouldn't feel safe watching the dot instead of watching the water.
I guess that's the good thing about sailing in the third world; there are very few aids to navigation and they are often not lit or on station.
There is absolutely no doubt that your GPS is much more accurate than any chart, as far as physical landmarks are concerned. You only have to do the ICW to learn this lesson. GPS is a wonderful aid to navigation, but you can be hard aground when a paper chart is showing you in 1000 feet of water. I have seen sat photos of some of the islands in the SoPac, and you would bet the farm that they were not of the same island shown on the chart.
At one time, Antigua had a notation on the chart that the island was mischarted by 1/4 of a mile. Fortunately, this was before GPS, or a dark and stormy night would have been the ruin of many a small craft.
Other than that, however, the information regarding the vessel's passage through the water is not unreliable and exceedingly useful.
Old 02-25-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
...Many years ago, my daughter did a school science project on GPS and nautical charts. We picked a bunch of spots in Biscayne Bay and the Upper Keys. A significant number of locations and channel markers were off, some by many hundreds of feet...
What was the source of the error? Were the NOAA charts incorrect? Or was it just Garmin's (Raymarine's, etc.) translation of the NOAA chart? Or was the GPS fix off by many hundreds of feet (which I've never seen before)?

I ask this because I've always been suspicious of the embedded proprietary charts in electronic devices. Garmin's embedded charts for USVI and BVI can be off by hundreds of feet. Even NOAA's are off in that area, especially #25641 which is off by 1000 feet at Jost, Tortola, and eastern St. John.

But in the coastal US, IMO a chartplotter that uses NOAA's actual charts is more reliable than a proprietary chartplotter that attempts to replicate NOAA's data. The latter can always be susceptible to translation errors. That's one of the reasons I use a computer-based chartplotter that allows me to download NOAA's most up-to-date charts directly from their website.

Here's what I'll have mounted at my helm this year in dry weather. When it's raining, I'll move it down below or put it in my Travelon waterproof pouch:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-25-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

Off-shore it is used continually for radar and AIS information, close to shore it is used as an aid to navigation we just do not believe it is accurate and never use it for close navigation especially at night.

We see between 1 and 3 boats per year on Caribbean reefs and there is a boat in the yard in Panama, where we are presently, that spent 14 hours on a reef because the skipper believed a plotter rather than his eyes.
Old 02-25-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
I used mine just yesterday. As I left the last green mark exiting Dinner Key on Biscayne Bay to starboard, my chart plotter said I was leaving it to port. Go figure.

My reservation with plotters is that one can believe that one is really where the plotter says you are relative to the hard things that will break your boat, and you too and maybe you aren't there.

The relative inaccuracy of the process of using my GPS and looking at where I think I am on a paper chart, has me more vigilant and therefore, in my judgement, safer.
You'd better learn to love your plotter, Ron...

Your Explorer Chartbooks of the Bahamas seem destined to be "outlawed", sooner or later...

But, hopefully not before Navionics fixes all of the gross inaccuracies that have long plagued their E-cartography of the Bahamas... :-)

Or Belize, for that matter:

"Red squiggle: where we ran aground. Black/red dots: deep water channel.
The channel is actually 300 yards east of what the Navnet Chart showed."

Greenland and Labrador is another region of the world, where paper charts are likely to be banned eventually, after all the purveyors of E-charts correct their current products to match the superior accuracy of the Danish and CHS paper charts already in existence... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
You'd better learn to love your plotter, Ron...

Your Explorer Chartbooks of the Bahamas seem destined to be "outlawed", sooner or later...

But, hopefully not before Navionics fixes all of the gross inaccuracies that have long plagued their E-cartography of the Bahamas... :-)

Or Belize, for that matter:

"Red squiggle: where we ran aground. Black/red dots: deep water channel.
The channel is actually 300 yards east of what the Navnet Chart showed."
I basically sail the Bahamas with my Explorer Chartobook laying on the cockpit seat and open to the area I am navigatin. I do this despite the fact that my Garmin chart-plotter is suppose to have the Explorer charts loaded into it.

I've notice minor variations, and you never quit looking at the water, but I have been amazed at how accurate the Explorer Charts, and the Garmin chartplotter with the Exp. Charts loaded into it, actually are.

I still wouldn't blindly follow them through hazardous waters at night.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-25-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah, - I totally forgot about hardware that is not designed to only be a Chartplotter...

* I use my Garmin GPSMAP 478 anytime while underway, and frequently while at anchor as an anchor drag alarm, assuming that I have not left it in the car.
* I also have a laptop onboard that runs PolarView NS, that is on 90% of the time when under way.
* I also have my Android smartphone on which I run SailDroid for speed/compass, and DragQueen as another anchor drag alarm.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.