Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: How much do you use your Chartplotter?

The biggest benefit for us is the AIS and radar overlay in our chart plotter. AIS is great for catching the "go fast" cargo ships coming down the Puget Sound. They fly along at 20+ kts and it is nice to get an hour pre-warning that AIS provides. Typically we see the 60 minute anticipated track line that AIS provides dance across our bow in the chart plotter. That sure gets your attention. Typically it is long before we are in visual range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Good point!

Gary
Old 02-25-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Your Explorer Chartbooks of the Bahamas seem destined to be "outlawed", sooner or later...

But, hopefully not before Navionics fixes all of the gross inaccuracies that have long plagued their E-cartography of the Bahamas... :-)
FWIW C-Map is now using Explorer Chartbook as source data for it's Bahama electronic charts and is using Wavey Line as source for T&C's. Those are both very good.

Last edited by kellysails; 02-25-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
FWIW C-Map is now using Explorer Chartbook as source data for it's Bahama electronic charts and is using Wavey Line as source for T&C's. Those are both very good.
Yeah, the most recent Garmin software uses Explorer for at least some of the Bahamas, as well...

Explorer Charts ? Electronic Format | Bahamas Chatter

Amazing, how many folks appear to believe all e-charts are created equal... And, as good as the Explorer Charts are, it's spooky how many out there seem to think Monty & Sarah have charted every single coral head throughout the Bahamas with absolute precision... :-)

Anyone who relies on a chartplotter to pick their way into a spot like Shroud Cay Harbor, or thinks it may have any real utility in such a tight spot, should probably just stay Stateside... :-)

Old 02-25-2014
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, the most recent Garmin software uses Explorer for at least some of the Bahamas, as well...

Explorer Charts ? Electronic Format | Bahamas Chatter

Amazing, how many folks appear to believe all e-charts are created equal... And, as good as the Explorer Charts are, it's spooky how many out there seem to think Monty & Sarah have charted every single coral head throughout the Bahamas with absolute precision... :-)
Yup, the compute power of the plotter that sits between the ears beats any chart plotter.
Old 02-25-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

You think it's easy to hit something, or get lost in the Bahamas with GPS, chartplotters, and Explorer charts, you should see what it was like back before all that stuff.

Nothing like piloting yourself into one Cay's harbor, and then finding out you are actually in the harbor of the Cay south of that (did that twice on a cruise we did of the Bahamas in 1987).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-25-2014
Shanachie, Bristol 30

shananchie is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TakeFive;1457722]What was the source of the error? Were the NOAA charts incorrect? Or was it just Garmin's (Raymarine's, etc.) translation of the NOAA chart? Or was the GPS fix off by many hundreds of feet (which I've never seen before)?

Most NOAA charts were drawn up long ago -- well before GPS -- and are only sporadically and partially updated.

So there are plenty of errors in them. And Congress has not seen fit to provide the money to do thorough updates. (Or even to dredge the Intracoastal Waterway, for that matter.)

I keep my boat in Boca Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg. The part of the bay I'm in bears no resemblance to the NOAA chart. It's deeper, has fewer shoals and has a 20-foot deep channel that appears nowhere on the chart. And this is in a well-known anchorage just off the Intracoastal.

BoatUs magazine had a story recently about people running aground on the Intracoastal while religiously following the magenta line on chartplotters and charts.

Well, it turns out the magenta line has not been updated since 1935 -- nearly 80 years ago.
Old 02-25-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The problem has nothing to do with a network. My Garmin handheld has no network capability.

I described the problem last year. The embedded chart is wrong. If you buy the Eastern Caribbean Bluechart chip, the chart is right - as long as you're sure you have the right one activated. See this explanation:

BVI chart/nav app
Now that I'm home from work, I can explain a little better, with screenshots from HomePort software that uses my Garmin maps (which I did not have when I posted my note last year). My Oregon 400c handheld comes with an embedded chart of North America, which extends down to include BVI and USVI. That chart is SEVERELY INACCURATE in that area. But if you install Garmin's HXUS030R chip into the handheld, that chart is far more accurate. Only problem on this device is that you can't easily tell which chart is activated. The inaccuracy is so severe that I can't believe that Garmin allows it to stay in circulation. It would be better to delete that area from the embedded chart than to allow the inaccuracy to stay. I can't believe that Garmin is willing to accept the liability of having a defective product out there.

Here are some screenshots from Garmin HomePort to demonstrate the error in their charts. First is the chart from HXUS030R. Note the accurate locations of the ActiveCaptain waypoints, and the shore-hugging track from our PowerCat charter boat, right up to the Customs & Immigration dock:

Now here's the same waypoints and track layed over the embedded chart that comes with the Oregon 400c:

Like I mentioned, even NOAA's chart of that area has problems. Here's the same track on #25641:

And here's the same track on NGA #25609. It's much more accurate. I managed to pull it down off the web a few days before NOAA removed it due to copyright issues with NATO allies who did not want their data to be given away:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-25-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You think it's easy to hit something, or get lost in the Bahamas with GPS, chartplotters, and Explorer charts, you should see what it was like back before all that stuff.

Nothing like piloting yourself into one Cay's harbor, and then finding out you are actually in the harbor of the Cay south of that (did that twice on a cruise we did of the Bahamas in 1987).
Well, I did my first sailing in the Bahamas back in the late 70's, when LORAN coverage barely extended to Nassau... Not that it mattered, as the boats I first took over there didn't have LORAN, anyway :-)

The Tropic Isle Sketch Charts were the Explorer Charts of that era, and the YACHTSMAN'S GUIDE was the cruiser's Bible... Both were actually pretty damn good, at the time... Well, as long as the guy with the yellow cottage that formed a critical range with a conspicuous casuarina didn't decide to paint his house a different color...

Certainly, you had to be paying damn close attention to your piloting in places like the Exumas back then, it was very easy to become confused, or not certain of your position... But I swear, I don't think cruisers really got in any more trouble back then, than they are today... Because of that 'uncertainty', most were far more prudent back then, rarely attempting tricky passages in poor light, or knowing they'd have the sun in their face at late in the day...

Now, I see folks are racing around everywhere with little regard for the importance of reading the water, and simply trusting their plotters implicitly, focused on some screen in their cockpit, instead of the water in front of them... Plotters and e/charts sometimes lie, however - whereas the color of the water, with the sun over your shoulder, NEVER does... :-)

For example, the color of this water approaching Binnacle Hill in the Bight of Acklins says: "You've got no more than 6 inches between your keel, and a billiard table-flat sandy bottom..."

One really hasn't properly done the Bahamas, until you've sailed at a speed greater than the water depth, measured in feet...

And, no, doing it in a multihull doesn't count... :-)

Old 02-26-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

I use the Garmin GPSMap 541 and it is on all of the time while underway.

I don't rely on it exclusively for my navigation but as part of an integrated navigation network made up of: the chartplotter, depthsounder, paper charts, Ports cruising guide, sailing directions, compass and, most importantly: eyesight.

I usually plan my cruises by reviewing my intended route on paper charts, starting from the smallest scale and working down to the largest. Then I get on my PC using an old version of Offshore Navigator. I explore anchorages, areas of concern and points of interest there. I use Sailing Directions and Ports Guide to review any specific features of the areas.

I do all of this at home - usually over the winter.

I copy coordinates from Offshore Navigator into Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager and load them onto an SD card that I can load into my chartplotter.

I have many of the Georgian Bay anchorages and ports loaded onto my chartplotter now so that I can easily access them if I need to in a hurry. The chartplotter also has a listing of marinas, fuel docks and points of interest that you can access easily while underway. There are also satellite shots of marinas and so on for reference.

Once underway I usually start my day by reviewing my paper charts. I always have my paper charts in the cockpit for the area in which I am sailing - even my home waters. I use the chartplotter mostly as a speedometer, but also to calculate ETA etc. I will refer to it on long crossings (especially away from land) to make sure I am on course. In my area there are very few times when you are out of sight of land so I am conning most of the time.
bristol299bob likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Last edited by flyingwelshman; 02-26-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.