Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where should we retire with our boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Be careful. Every state that I'm familiar with requires registration based on how long you are within their boundaries, not where you are documented. In fact, if they catch you not paying and it appears you've tried to game the system, they usually come down harder.

I've got to figure all this out as well, but I have to figure it out within the rules.

One of my tough ones is use tax. Since RI has no sales tax on boats, if I spend enough time in another state to incur their use tax (version of sales tax when you purchased elsewhere), they usually give credit for having paid sales tax elsewhere. With no offset, it could cause me difficulty.
Go to some state like Mississippi. Yeah, you have to register your boat, but it's so cheap it's not really worth fighting about. Like $26 for two years.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One factor that many are not aware of is that federal and NY retirement income is not taxed in NY. Thus my federal pension, my wifes NY pension and Social Security is not subject to NY income tax. No boat use tax either. Yes housing is more expensive than down south, but if the mortgage is paid off......
Correct. It's the property taxes that getcha. Tags are dirt cheap in NY. The secret is not to hold property, just visit.
Old 03-02-2014

findrichard is on a distinguished road

I retired in Florida eight years ago, sailed to the Bahamas and later sailed along the ICW to VA, then along the coast to Portland Maine where I could buy lobster right off the boats as they came in for the day. The largest body of protected water sailing would be the Chesapeake Bay in VA where boats can stay in the water year round. The best ICW sailing was the GA to SC stretch - beautiful natural shoreline with little to no boat traffic. The ICW is a little over 1,000 miles long and GA is around the halfway point, giving you plenty of maneuver room north or south to dodge the Hurricanes which are really not all that frequent at any one particular place. After the most active part of hurricane season, which ends around November, it is perfect timing to ride the early northerly winds south to the keys or Bahamas. However, if rocky shoreline scenery is your thing then you got to just learn to like those winters up there. The real beauty of Florida is under water, experienced via snorkel or scuba excursions right off the back of your boat. If you are a seafood lover, you haven't tasted nothing until you sink your teeth into fresh caught, properly prepared wahoo or yellow-fin tuna, which also may be caught right off the back of your boat. Wherever you end up with a sailboat, the beauty of retirement is that if the grass starts to look greener somewhere else, all you need to do is pull up anchor or cast off dock lines and go check it out.
Old 03-02-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
I retired in Florida eight years ago...,

The best ICW sailing was the GA to SC stretch - beautiful natural shoreline with little to no boat traffic. The ICW is a little over 1,000 miles long and GA is around the halfway point, giving you plenty of maneuver room north or south to dodge the Hurricanes which are really not all that frequent at any one particular place.

Wherever you end up with a sailboat, the beauty of retirement is that if the grass starts to look greener somewhere else, all you need to do is pull up anchor or cast off dock lines and go check it out.
Findrichard... you couldn't have described it any better.

That is our plan to move to Florida or move our home base to West Palm Beach after my wife's retirement or close to it... but for now Savannah is the home... the reason there aren't as many sailboats in the GA coast is as I mentioned earlier in one of my other posts here.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-02-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2014

TerryBradley is on a distinguished road

Greg, I sent you a pm.
Old 03-03-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

The Caribbean, doh.
Old 03-04-2014

Killick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Moody... Charleston is our 'sister' city... it's a beautiful city as well, being in SC the taxes and waterways are not that different than Savannah, but I find Savannah to be less costly. Our largest complaint is we don't have enough slips/anchorage but Savannah is not widely set with many sailboats... so the slips are still reasonable in cost. I should have bought a house with a dock sometime back but didn't want the hassle of bugs/ticks/water damage... now I wished I had.

No, Savannah is bad - very bad. Do not go there. It has long cold winters, and long brutal summers...and the food is also very bad...and the people are mean. In fact, it's so bad that I am constantly loading up the car and spending as much time as I can there just to remind myself how bad it is. It's so bad I dream about it all the time, and can't wait to put a boat there so I can more easily escape all that badness every weekend. Just watch "Forrest Gump" and see how ugly it is. Plus there are tidal waves, and earthquakes, and volcanoes, and...and...the rare saber-toothed bigfoot. No, North Carolina or Florida are definitely much better.

(Guitarguy - SHHH!! What are you thinking?? We gotta keep this on the downlow, man...otherwise everyone will want to move there!)
Killick was in many ways a wretched servant, fractious, mean, overbearing to guests of inferior rank, hopelessly coarse; but in others he was a pearl without a thorn. For a moment Jack passed some other expressions in review, and having reached bricks without price he went to sleep.
Old 03-04-2014

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

If thinking of retiring to the Caribbean with a sailboat consider Humacao or Ponce, Puerto Rico. The climate is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than the southeastern United States; the sun can be brutally intense, however. They're relatively inexpensive with good shopping and food. No passport or visa needed. Cheap flights compared with other Caribbean locations. Easy cruise to Culebra, Vieques, and the Virgin Islands.
Old 03-08-2014

Samuelmonosov is on a distinguished road

Santa Barbara. You get all the perks of the city while living in a slip, the weather is unbeatable, and our islands are natural reserves with some of the most beautiful and challenging sailing in the world. We have a prevailing westerly that rarely quits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2014

climbhike is on a distinguished road

I'm also a Michigander but at this point I'm enjoying the change of seasons. Have skis and snowshoes and enjoy the best snow in 15 years. Went camping 3 weeks ago for one night, We have other toys we enjoy the three non-snow seasons, bikes and kayaks. Hiking and used to rock climb. Looking forwards to spring and getting out. Most family and especially grand kids are within a few hours drive so it's not an option to relocate. Maybe will feel different in 10 years. I'm looking forward now to retiring in a few years and cruising southern Lake Michigan and some trips with a trailer sailer to Traverse City, Harbor Springs or Mackinaw. Good luck with your search. Dave G