Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where should we retire with our boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killick View Post
No, Savannah is bad - very bad. Do not go there. It has long cold winters, and long brutal summers...and the food is also very bad...and the people are mean. In fact, it's so bad that I am constantly loading up the car and spending as much time as I can there just to remind myself how bad it is. It's so bad I dream about it all the time, and can't wait to put a boat there so I can more easily escape all that badness every weekend. Just watch "Forrest Gump" and see how ugly it is. Plus there are tidal waves, and earthquakes, and volcanoes, and...and...the rare saber-toothed bigfoot. No, North Carolina or Florida are definitely much better.

(Guitarguy - SHHH!! What are you thinking?? We gotta keep this on the downlow, man...otherwise everyone will want to move there!)
Whenever people here start complaining about the hurricanes we get, I always say, "We should get down on our knees every day and thank God for our hurricanes, because it we didn't have them, we would be just like south Florida, and we wouldn't be able to afford to live here."

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2014

sailor1950 is on a distinguished road

Destin Fla
Old 03-09-2014

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbhike View Post
I'm also a Michigander but at this point I'm enjoying the change of seasons. Have skis and snowshoes and enjoy the best snow in 15 years. Went camping 3 weeks ago for one night, We have other toys we enjoy the three non-snow seasons, bikes and kayaks. Hiking and used to rock climb. Looking forwards to spring and getting out. Most family and especially grand kids are within a few hours drive so it's not an option to relocate. Maybe will feel different in 10 years. I'm looking forward now to retiring in a few years and cruising southern Lake Michigan and some trips with a trailer sailer to Traverse City, Harbor Springs or Mackinaw. Good luck with your search. Dave G
Change of seasons?!?! What change of seasons? It's still cold winter. It's been cold winter and it's been a nasty winter. I would love to have a change of season but when will that be? Now they're predicting because the Great Lakes are frozen solid that the thaw will be late and the lakes will be frigid this summer. No, I'm sorry, but as beautiful as Lake Michigan is with its fresh water and wonderful people, I think somewhere much warmer is what the good doctor orders.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 03-09-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Where should we retire with our boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killick View Post
No, Savannah is bad - very bad. Do not go there. It has long cold winters, and long brutal summers...and the food is also very bad...and the people are mean. In fact, it's so bad that I am constantly loading up the car and spending as much time as I can there just to remind myself how bad it is. It's so bad I dream about it all the time, and can't wait to put a boat there so I can more easily escape all that badness every weekend. Just watch "Forrest Gump" and see how ugly it is. Plus there are tidal waves, and earthquakes, and volcanoes, and...and...the rare saber-toothed bigfoot. No, North Carolina or Florida are definitely much better.

(Guitarguy - SHHH!! What are you thinking?? We gotta keep this on the downlow, man...otherwise everyone will want to move there!)
Yes I wasn't very honest! I forgot to mention the maneating alligators, rattlesnakes, diamondheads, coral snakes, giant mosquitoes, burrowing gnats at night, pollution from pulp mills, glow in the dark shrimp poisoned by the nuclear powerplant upstream on the Savannah River, nasty people at night partying up on the Riverfront... Then we get these parades twice a year that shuts the city down... Yeah stay away from Savannah! Thanks Killick as it would have been a disservice to bring people to this horrible place... there are better places to relocate to.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Belize and/or Rio Dulce.
Old 03-09-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Belize is offering up dual citzenship for $2500(?) righy now with no tax on imports items to get set up, if i recall correctly. I read up on it a year ago or so.
It's filling up with ex-pats. Won't be the place to be in 5 years.

Quote:
Yes I wasn't very honest! I forgot to mention the maneating alligators, rattlesnakes, diamondheads, coral snakes, giant mosquitoes, burrowing gnats at night, pollution from pulp mills, glow in the dark shrimp poisoned by the nuclear powerplant upstream on the Savannah River, nasty people at night partying up on the Riverfront... Then we get these parades twice a year that shuts the city down... Yeah stay away from Savannah! Thanks Killick as it would have been a disservice to bring people to this horrible place... there are better places to relocate to.
Savanna is the place to be ! It's wonderful !
Old 03-10-2014

findrichard is on a distinguished road

yes Savanna, GA is the place. Panama City FL has too many hurricanes and lightening storms. And this year it even had ice in the bay!
Old 03-10-2014

TerryBradley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
I can deal with all of that except for the mosquitoes. They are real Apaches down there!
Old 03-10-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBradley View Post
I can deal with all of that except for the mosquitoes. They are real Apaches down there!
Not as large as the mosquitos found in places like Alaska... but they are aggressive and some carry the West Nile Virus... unfortunately while they do spray for mosquitos it's a fruitless effort as anyone knows in Savannah and the outlying areas are all shrimp hatcheries/nesting grounds in the marshes and savannahs of this area... this is also the reason gnats are out of control too... controlling these two pests mean losing the shrimp hatcheries/nesting grounds in the process... so economics will tell you which one won.
Old 03-10-2014

2Gringos is on a distinguished road

It's pretty amazing that out of nine pages of answers to the OP, everyone's imagination seems to stop at the US border. Did he say he had to stay within the USA? People are mentioning moving to Florida, with one of the selling points of retiring to Florida being that it's within sailing distance of the Bahamas. Uh....why not move to the Bahamas and skip the 100 degree stuff entirely?

Why not recommend the OP look into Panama, where US expats can live comfortably on social security alone?

Or Belize? Or someplace really interesting.

The best we can do for this guy is recommene Ponce PR? the USVI? that's all inside the USA. Why not just stay in Michigan and buy a sun lamp?

He asks about places to get away from the cold, to RETIRE with his BOAT and people start yammering on about the beauty of New England????

What are you guys smoking, to suggest retiring in New England to a man who is tired of the cold winters? Pretty useless advice.
Group9 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Gringos For This Useful Post:
Gregrosine (03-11-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.