SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where should we retire with our boat?

18K views 124 replies 58 participants last post by  Power For Sail 
#1 ·
This winter has done us in. In a couple of years we will be ready to retire and as much as I love Lake Michigan, it is now frozen and that doesn't work for sailing. Where in a warm would anyone suggest we retire with our 35 foot cruiser to be able to sail most of the year? South Florida?

#43 ·
Ever think about the USVI? St.Croix is not your typical tourist trap island and there is great sailing everywhere. Hurricanes are much worse on coastal US shores than in the USVI. Last bad storm was Hugo in 1989. I know, I have been through many seasons in both locations. Cost of living is up there though, with most of your items being imported.

You just cant beat the pretty water there!!!

Call me when you get there!!! :D

#44 ·
Ever think about the USVI? St.Croix is not your typical tourist trap island and there is great sailing everywhere. Hurricanes are much worse on coastal US shores than in the USVI. Last bad storm was Hugo in 1989. I know, I have been through many seasons in both locations. Cost of living is up there though, with most of your items being imported.

You just cant beat the pretty water there!!!

Call me when you get there!!! :D[/

The USVI would probably be my first choice. It's beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#45 · (Edited)
Another ice storm coming in this weekend. I can't wait! Our personal glacier called my driveway did recede some last week.

We're a couple years away from retiring and plan on taking off on the boat for as long as we can but eventually we might want to setup house again and we've been wondering where we would do this. We've been up and down the east coast and have always liked the Carolinas and Georgia. I like Guitarguy's Savannah - very nice with Tybee Island as he mentions. Also, what about Charlestown, SC, or New Bern or Oriental, NC. All very nice places. I think I could be comfortable in any of them. I suspect that the cost of living in these places would be considerably less than Florida and much less crowded.

Hey, Guitarguy are those noseeums around all year?

Anyone have opinions on these places.

#49 · (Edited)
Another ice storm coming in this weekend. I can't wait! Our personal glacier called my driveway did recede some last week.

We're a couple years away from retiring and plan on taking off on the boat for as long as we can but eventually we might want to setup house again and we've been wondering where we would do this. We've been up and down the east coast and have always liked the Carolinas and Georgia. I like Guitarguy's Savannah - very nice with Tybee Island as he mentions. Also, what about Charlestown, SC, or New Bern or Oriental, NC. All very nice places. I think I could be comfortable in any of them. I suspect that the cost of living in these places would be considerably less than Florida and much less crowded.

Hey, Guitarguy are those noseeums around all year?

Anyone have opinions on these places.
The gnats seem to be a rare phenomena indeed in this area... but they haven't chased us out of Savannah to date. They usually have a range of temperatures they thrive in... and it's around 70 Deg. F plus 10 degrees... normally after 80-85 Deg. F they don't seem to be anywhere in sight, but as soon as they find a shady area where the temps drop some they come out for the hunt. The citronella oils seems to work some. We have used Skin So Soft cream before we head out when they are prevalent and seems to keep them at bay... I hate using the sprays that have pesticides due to my marine aquarium and getting the water contaminated.

But don't let this deter you as this happens from the Charleston, SC area all the way down to West Palm Beach, FL. (WPB) As I mentioned I have lived in West Palm Beach since 1978 and Tallahassee since 1974 (FSU) and love Florida but won't go back due to the very high cost of living... we love it where we're at but wish the growing zone was 10A or 11.

Best to come down to Savannah/Tybee Island for a looksee... Charleston, SC is about 1-1/2 drive up north and Jacksonville, FL is but 1-1/2 south of us... want the Appalachian mountains... they are 4 hours away for camping.

Home prices are 1/3 what they would be in other cities... our current home we have now in Savannah would be in West Palm Beach close to $1 Mil or more... it's just the cost of living and where land values seems to be highest. I regret selling our home in WPB for sure.

The Augusta Chronicle

Here is the Riverstreet I mentioned earlier...

and the Five Star restaurant I mentioned earlier where I get to sometimes play the piano for my wife when we have a special occasion...

Vics on the River

#46 ·
Yeah I ski. We live close to the mountains, but this year conditions have just been too harsh and honestly the last thing I want to see is more snow - so I have only gone once. I don't know about you all but we are having a difficult time with icy roads, piles of snow ice, our elderly dog can't even make it outside, oil lines freezing, roads impassible, terrible potholes, .....etc, etc...I've spent $1800 on heating oil in the last 3 months.

VI sounds nice.

#47 ·
I read an article last week about "The Worst States to retire To". On the list:

Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey

the Northeast rocks :rolleyes:

#51 ·
I didn't see the particular article you reference, but they are often hit hard by tax rates. Once you're on a fixed income that doesn't go up with inflation, the 5-10% you pay to the state is a lot. The northeast gets you hard on the combo of income, property and sales taxes. In a cruising retirement, I'm hopping to figure how not to be a resident. I will just come spend money in the northeast economy for 5 months per year. :)

#52 ·
I agree; the taxes and politics are awful in the Northeast. That being said; there are still honey holes that can be found.
As crazy as it sounds, Syracuse, NY (and local area)is one of the cheapest places to retire. You say "it's not close to water" , But oh it is. The canal runs right thru here. Yes, you will have to unstep,but, it's a easy safe ride to your destination. Lake Ontario and finger lakes in the summer are hard to beat.
Then just transit the canal in October and head south. I watch the pilgrimage every year. I shuttle several boats in the spring and fall.

The last 25 years have not been kind to the finger lakes/central region of NY. No economic boom. It's been a blessing! Costs have not gone thru the roof here, yet. It's a little backwards up here. I consider that a plus compared to downstate.
I have had my boat up here for 4 years now. Brought it up from Palm Beach. (Stationed here now) I have had nothing stolen off my boat nor have i heard about anybody else had anything come up missing. No worries, leave the hatch unlocked and the hose out. People are great, crime is low. The locals are very vigilant as well. Low tolerance for evil doers.

Sshhhh.....don't tell to many people.

That's my speel for this area. I plan on going back in forth between here and the south/islands when i retire in about 5 years. Just like my friends that have retired before me. I'll see them in the spring. :)

#53 ·
Great question. As an NC native, I can say that there are a lot of good things about our state. The winter weather is USUALLY only bad for a couple of months. This year was rough, though. Cost of living fairly cheap, except gas prices and waterfront property. Good BBQ, southern food, and seafood (although mostly fried). PLENTY of water on the east end of the state, which opens up a lot of day/weekend trips by water. To the poster asking about New Bern- this is the Admiral and I's favorite town in the state, or maybe a tie with Beaufort. Smartly preserved historical district with three marinas within walking distance. All of the big box stores are in another area of town. The drawback about New Bern is that the river doesn't open up for a few miles down stream. Oriental is a much better sailing area, but not much in the form of conveniences.

#56 ·
Someone mentioned Charleston. WOW, that place is wonderful. Hoping we can spend our 10th anniversary there. Is the cost of living high there? Vacations sure are.
Now, I know it gets hot down there, but if you ever see the water in the Keys, you will have to stop and stare at it. Ever go on vacation, get back home, and say "Oh, it is so good to be home?" We liked Key West so much that my wife tried to abduct a Hemingway cat and I unsuccessfully attempted to defect from NC on our last return trip. Not a day goes by that I don't think about that place.

#58 ·
You really have to combine income, property and sales taxes to understand how much of your retirement will be donated. Unfortunately, NY ranks the highest taxed in the nation when you do so. Beautiful State, wouldn't mind a retirement condo there, as long as it isn't my State of residence! I just have to figure out how having the boat down south will work.

#70 ·
Unfortunately, NY ranks the highest taxed in the nation when you do so. Beautiful State, wouldn't mind a retirement condo there, as long as it isn't my State of residence!
One factor that many are not aware of is that federal and NY retirement income is not taxed in NY. Thus my federal pension, my wifes NY pension and Social Security is not subject to NY income tax. No boat use tax either. Yes housing is more expensive than down south, but if the mortgage is paid off......

#60 ·
I doubt that we can develop a consensus regarding which social values and manners define a desirable cruising ground. Perhaps we can regarding weather.

I believe that sailing is best when the temperature is appropriate for growing corn -- greater than 50F and less than 90F. For example, the Virgin Island probably fall within this range 350 days per year. Data on the on the number of days over 90F is readily available of the web. For example, the daily high in Tampa, FL is over 90F 115 days per year. Data is also readily available on the number of days when the temperature is below 32F but I haven't found a source for the number of days when the temperature is below 50F. Do any of you have a good source?

#61 · (Edited)
I doubt that we can develop a consensus regarding which social values and manners define a desirable cruising ground. Perhaps we can regarding weather.

I believe that sailing is best when the temperature is appropriate for growing corn -- greater than 50F and less than 90F. For example, the Virgin Island probably fall within this range 350 days per year. Data on the on the number of days over 90F is readily available of the web. For example, the daily high in Tampa, FL is over 90F 115 days per year. Data is also readily available on the number of days when the temperature is below 32F but I haven't found a source for the number of days when the temperature is below 50F. Do any of you have a good source?
We grow corn every year including oranges, limes, bananas, pomegranates, apples, pears, guavas, blueberries, and a host of many more fruits and vegetables here on my property in Savannah... so we meet some of the requirements you mention. Florida is a better location but now you get into higher property and tax values. I studied the Georgia area from Seattle before I moved here... Georgia has financed both my children to Bachelors degrees all on the Hope Scholarships... I have yet to pay tuition for my two children... now my son is headed to medical school so I'll have to fund that but the savings of not having to pay their college tuition for the first 4 years I can now use it for his graduate courses... it's another plus of living here in Georgia. ;)

#62 ·
I live in Charleston, SC. Wonderfully nice pace to live, but not nice to keep a decent size boat. Couple of reasons. The bay here is nice but shallow (5-6 feet at low tide outside shipping channels) and once you have seen it, the only place to go is out to the ocean. And you can see the bay in one day. The ocean is fine, but from the ocean looking inland, barrier islands all look the same. Next destination--Wilmington, NC or Savannah, GA. Not a day sail. Charleston harbor is wide, so in a hurricane, fetch builds and boats get slammed. Not much protection--lived here in Hugo. Slips are expensive. The "city marina" on the Ashley with its mega dock offers winter specials and year 'round rates that will take your breath away. Last and not least, boat taxes here are done by county, and Charleston County taxes boats higher than personal property. And, owing to the last county assessor losing her job in an election partially due to not collecting boat taxes, the county now is tough. Do not spend more than 180 days here under any circumstances unless you care to buy the county a grade school or cruise missile. Property taxes are quite reasonable, but not boat taxes.
Don't get me wrong-Charleston is a wonderful place to live and visit. There is some exposed anchorage in tidal rivers, but slips cost a lot, so visitors stay for a month or two. I keep my boat on the Chesapeake.

#63 ·
Moody... Charleston is our 'sister' city... it's a beautiful city as well, being in SC the taxes and waterways are not that different than Savannah, but I find Savannah to be less costly. Our largest complaint is we don't have enough slips/anchorage but Savannah is not widely set with many sailboats... so the slips are still reasonable in cost. I should have bought a house with a dock sometime back but didn't want the hassle of bugs/ticks/water damage... now I wished I had.

#65 ·
There is this place that I know of. Never real hot and never real cold. Whales, sea lions, eagles, otters. Great crabbing and fishing. Catch salmon off the bank. Quaint villages and only a short hop to a very large city. 45 minute drive to snow capped mountains. No black flies, sand flies and mosquitoes are almost nonexistent. Less rain per annum than the city of Chicago. Lots and lots of islands to cruise. But dangit! I just can't recall the name of the place!!:D

#66 ·
The PNF is certainly one of those areas that seem so appealing. I've been in the Seattle area a couple of times in the summer and it is gorgeous. Great seafood. But I hear if it's not summer then it's rainy season. It's a big area and I'm not certain where exactly to look

#67 ·
ah seattle is always misty..can get depressing BUT thos few months...of sunshine, sun and fine sailin weathe make it beautiful

oh and the coffee and good eating makes san francisco look measly in comparison

jeje

I loved pt townsend too and the micriobreweries scattered all over...great stuff the pnw

#72 ·
One factor that many are not aware of is that federal and NY retirement income is not taxed in NY. Thus my federal pension, my wifes NY pension and Social Security is not subject to NY income tax. No boat use tax either. Yes housing is more expensive than down south, but if the mortgage is paid off......
Correct. It's the property taxes that getcha. Tags are dirt cheap in NY. The secret is not to hold property, just visit.

#73 ·
I retired in Florida eight years ago, sailed to the Bahamas and later sailed along the ICW to VA, then along the coast to Portland Maine where I could buy lobster right off the boats as they came in for the day. The largest body of protected water sailing would be the Chesapeake Bay in VA where boats can stay in the water year round. The best ICW sailing was the GA to SC stretch - beautiful natural shoreline with little to no boat traffic. The ICW is a little over 1,000 miles long and GA is around the halfway point, giving you plenty of maneuver room north or south to dodge the Hurricanes which are really not all that frequent at any one particular place. After the most active part of hurricane season, which ends around November, it is perfect timing to ride the early northerly winds south to the keys or Bahamas. However, if rocky shoreline scenery is your thing then you got to just learn to like those winters up there. The real beauty of Florida is under water, experienced via snorkel or scuba excursions right off the back of your boat. If you are a seafood lover, you haven't tasted nothing until you sink your teeth into fresh caught, properly prepared wahoo or yellow-fin tuna, which also may be caught right off the back of your boat. Wherever you end up with a sailboat, the beauty of retirement is that if the grass starts to look greener somewhere else, all you need to do is pull up anchor or cast off dock lines and go check it out.

#74 · (Edited)
I retired in Florida eight years ago...,

The best ICW sailing was the GA to SC stretch - beautiful natural shoreline with little to no boat traffic. The ICW is a little over 1,000 miles long and GA is around the halfway point, giving you plenty of maneuver room north or south to dodge the Hurricanes which are really not all that frequent at any one particular place.

Wherever you end up with a sailboat, the beauty of retirement is that if the grass starts to look greener somewhere else, all you need to do is pull up anchor or cast off dock lines and go check it out.
Findrichard... you couldn't have described it any better.

That is our plan to move to Florida or move our home base to West Palm Beach after my wife's retirement or close to it... but for now Savannah is the home... the reason there aren't as many sailboats in the GA coast is as I mentioned earlier in one of my other posts here.

#78 ·
If thinking of retiring to the Caribbean with a sailboat consider Humacao or Ponce, Puerto Rico. The climate is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than the southeastern United States; the sun can be brutally intense, however. They're relatively inexpensive with good shopping and food. No passport or visa needed. Cheap flights compared with other Caribbean locations. Easy cruise to Culebra, Vieques, and the Virgin Islands.

#79 ·
Santa Barbara. You get all the perks of the city while living in a slip, the weather is unbeatable, and our islands are natural reserves with some of the most beautiful and challenging sailing in the world. We have a prevailing westerly that rarely quits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#80 ·
I'm also a Michigander but at this point I'm enjoying the change of seasons. Have skis and snowshoes and enjoy the best snow in 15 years. Went camping 3 weeks ago for one night, We have other toys we enjoy the three non-snow seasons, bikes and kayaks. Hiking and used to rock climb. Looking forwards to spring and getting out. Most family and especially grand kids are within a few hours drive so it's not an option to relocate. Maybe will feel different in 10 years. I'm looking forward now to retiring in a few years and cruising southern Lake Michigan and some trips with a trailer sailer to Traverse City, Harbor Springs or Mackinaw. Good luck with your search. Dave G

#83 ·
Change of seasons?!?! What change of seasons? It's still cold winter. It's been cold winter and it's been a nasty winter. I would love to have a change of season but when will that be? Now they're predicting because the Great Lakes are frozen solid that the thaw will be late and the lakes will be frigid this summer. No, I'm sorry, but as beautiful as Lake Michigan is with its fresh water and wonderful people, I think somewhere much warmer is what the good doctor orders.

#86 ·
Belize is offering up dual citzenship for $2500(?) righy now with no tax on imports items to get set up, if i recall correctly. I read up on it a year ago or so.
It's filling up with ex-pats. Won't be the place to be in 5 years.

Yes I wasn't very honest! I forgot to mention the maneating alligators, rattlesnakes, diamondheads, coral snakes, giant mosquitoes, burrowing gnats at night, pollution from pulp mills, glow in the dark shrimp poisoned by the nuclear powerplant upstream on the Savannah River, nasty people at night partying up on the Riverfront... Then we get these parades twice a year that shuts the city down... Yeah stay away from Savannah! Thanks Killick as it would have been a disservice to bring people to this horrible place... there are better places to relocate to.
Savanna is the place to be ! It's wonderful ! :laugher

#93 · (Edited)
Belize is offering up dual citzenship for $2500(?) righy now with no tax on imports items to get set up, if i recall correctly. I read up on it a year ago or so.
It's filling up with ex-pats. Won't be the place to be in 5 years.

Savanna is the place to be ! It's wonderful ! :laugher
My wife and her girl friends like to travel to Belize and talks about us retiring there. I think the same thing as you, it's filling up too fast with ex-pats right now, same as Costa Rica has already done.

Panama is looking better and better, though.

If Cuba wasn't such a dump, and illegal for US citizens, you could retire there.

A friend of mine who went down there a couple of years ago ran into an American who was illegally living there. He would fly to Mexico once a month to get his disability deposit out of the bank in cash and then fly back to Cuba. He said he was living like a king on about $350 per month and the Cuban government was okay with it as long as he only spent the dollars where they told him to, (approved government vendors) and didn't let any of it get out to the regular people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.